It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:32

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Scaling HELP! Want to watch LD collection on Plasma HDTV
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2013, 19:27 
Third post and above
Third post and above

After looking over threads and articles on how to do this, my one conclusion is that this is all pretty confusing. My TV (TC-P42S2) is not that big and a few years old and *does* have various zoom modes but (near as I can tell) does not have any of the fancy upscaling that some of the nicer TVs/receivers have.

So my question is a simple one ~ how can I take the ouput (composite) of my CLD-D704 and make it look the best on a 16:9 display? More fundamentally, I guess we are talking RCA composite (analog) -> HDMI without looking horrible.

Is the DVDO iScan VP20, or VP30 really the best, most economical route to get this done? (And how do the VP20 and VP30 differ?) Or should I just zoom on the existing (direct) analog input as that is the best we can do?

Help! :?:

Post subject: Re: Scaling HELP! Want to watch LD collection on Plasma HDT
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2013, 20:27 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Well, the most convenient/cheapest solution is to get a good DVD Recorder that has upscaling capabilities. Here's a good place to start:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=562

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2013, 23:55 
Third post and above
Third post and above

elahrairrah wrote:
Well, the most convenient/cheapest solution is to get a good DVD Recorder that has upscaling capabilities. Here's a good place to start:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=562

Thanks for pointing me over there ~ based on your experience, do you have a recorder you might suggest to do this?

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013, 02:31 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

GROO!!!
very good avitar :thumbup:
sorry i can't help, i'm still using a CRT, but if or when i get a flat screen i will have to see how it is first with the LD straight into the TV.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013, 03:43 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

That depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking to not spend too much money, I'd recommend the Hitachi AVC08U that rixrex is selling here. I used to have one before I got an iScan HD and it is very well rounded. The scaling is definately better than my TV's, it had very little overscan on SD inputs and none on HD (My TV, and I think most HDTVs are like this, will overscan SD by 5%, where as the Hitachi AVC08U is about half that, if my memory serves me right.) The comb filter isn't the absolute best, but it is better than average.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013, 04:00 
True fan
True fan

pmjones wrote:
After looking over threads and articles on how to do this, my one conclusion is that this is all pretty confusing. My TV (TC-P42S2) is not that big and a few years old and *does* have various zoom modes but (near as I can tell) does not have any of the fancy upscaling that some of the nicer TVs/receivers have.

So my question is a simple one ~ how can I take the ouput (composite) of my CLD-D704 and make it look the best on a 16:9 display? More fundamentally, I guess we are talking RCA composite (analog) -> HDMI without looking horrible.

Is the DVDO iScan VP20, or VP30 really the best, most economical route to get this done? (And how do the VP20 and VP30 differ?) Or should I just zoom on the existing (direct) analog input as that is the best we can do?

Help! :?:

GOOD OLD GROO, I still have my Groo collection, "maybe some good old cheese dip will help!!! That's what Groo would use back in the day!!!

Anyways, I still use my Scan dvdo HD+ for upscaling and aspect ratio for most players cld-95,97 and the DVL- players. Sometimes I will put my 2/D combfilter in between the 2.

Been using it since 2008 with no problems on a 65inch crt and a 60inch Mits DLP

Duane, MI

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013, 04:37 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

yes, forgot about the cheese dip 8-) :shh: :lol:

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013, 04:41 
True fan
True fan

rein-o wrote:

Yea Rein-o, how dare you forget the Cheese Dip :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013, 05:06 
grasshopper wrote:
rein-o wrote:

Yea Rein-o, how dare you forget the Cheese Dip :mrgreen:

how about cheese dip and Spicy Sweet Chili Doritos? :) oooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013, 06:02 
Third post and above
Third post and above

naiaru wrote:
That depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking to not spend too much money, I'd recommend the Hitachi AVC08U that rixrex is selling here. I used to have one before I got an iScan HD and it is very well rounded. The scaling is definately better than my TV's, it had very little overscan on SD inputs and none on HD (My TV, and I think most HDTVs are like this, will overscan SD by 5%, where as the Hitachi AVC08U is about half that, if my memory serves me right.) The comb filter isn't the absolute best, but it is better than average.

Thank you very much. I will follow up on that ad and see if rixrex and I can work something out.

Appreciate the feedback from others in this thread on Groo. You know, they still put out an occasional issue now and then and one is never too old for a good comic book! :D

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013, 06:50 
True fan
True fan

pmjones wrote:
naiaru wrote:

Thank you very much. I will follow up on that ad and see if rixrex and I can work something out.

Appreciate the feedback from others in this thread on Groo. You know, they still put out an occasional issue now and then and one is never too old for a good comic book! :D

They Do!!! The last set of 4 I have was DEATH & TAXES :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013, 07:42 
True fan
True fan

Here is a little something:

Attachment:
1361512345709.jpg
1361512345709.jpg [ 26.03 KiB | Viewed 2537 times ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]