It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 20:53

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Question of how to setup Home Theater in my very Weird Apt!
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 03:03 
My living room area is very strange. Due to our location in a building we have an apartment with very weird angles. I've got my setup in a way that I honestly never have liked. I'll be in this location for at least another year, and I would like some opinions on how I might improve it.

I meant to measure our walls but my tape measure broke trying to stretch it out too far. I eyeballed a paint drawing, and although its not perfect, it sums up the weird situation the apt is in. Yes the strange lines are just that. I meant to angle the walls. In some cases, especially the wall with the panoramic window I believe the angle is much more drastic. Any advice would be great.

Attachments:
Our Apt.png
Our Apt.png [ 21.84 KiB | Viewed 3122 times ]

Post subject: Re: Question of how to setup Home Theater in my very Weird A
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 03:33 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Wow, what a mess of a room. What's up with the AC/heating unit? Does it take up that whole wall and jut out or something?

What kind of set do you have and what size? What kind of furniture?

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 03:41 
Honest fan
Honest fan

The way I'd look at doing it would be to find a nice corner unit and stick the tv in that at the top right. I'd then get one of those L shaped lounges to place in front of it. This would then leave space for a dining area and you might even fit a computer desk near the entry. But this is all without knowing the dimensions. Should I draw you what I mean?

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 05:08 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

can you ballpark the wall lengths?
Also, how big is your TV?
And are there any parts of the room that are off limits to the TV? (excluding obvious ones like the bathroom)

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 05:41 
The AC unit takes up the whole wall and does jut out quite a bit. I figure that wall is off limits because I can't imagine its a good idea to put a TV in front an AC unit. The wall to the left of the door likely isn't long enough to fit everything in there. The corner is certainly an idea, however; its by that panoramic window. My understanding is its not a good idea to put a TV near a window. However I suppose that could be remedied by tight curtain control in that area.

I have a 42in. Samsung Plasma screen TV, two recliners, and two side tables. Currently the TV is on a TV stand with an audio rack beside it. I can take pictures of the room and post them. I think that will give everyone a better idea of what I have to work with, just please excuse the mess as I am current rearranging everything.

Post subject: Re: Question of how to setup Home Theater in my very Weird A  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 07:23 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Normally a TV in front of a big window isn't great because it removes the use of that window. Also, a TV opposite a window can be problematic if the window light glares on the set. The way to stop that is with heavy drapes like what's used in a hotel. Have to go to a hotel outlet or sale and get those if you want real good blackout drapes. Or find them on ebay, craigslist or such.

Not good to set anything in front of AC/heat unit unless you want that thing to get all the cool and hot air.

So that really limits you, sadly.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2011, 02:13 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

That's a tough setup. Can you post the dimensions on the room. You may be able to put the TV in the "upper-right hand corner" of the diagram/room and that way the reflection of the sound off the wall will be minimized. Essentially you would be viewing the TV from the center of the apartment with the TV in the corner. At least you don't obscure the window or heating/cooling system. Your seating would be in that corner where you have "chairs are currently here" written. With a 42 inch TV you should only be about 5 ft from the screen for THX recommended viewing angle of about 35 degrees. You can do some calculations here:http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html#anchor_13194

Some pictures would definitely help.

You can check out some pictures of mine in my gallery with the link below. Hope this helps!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]