It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:07

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: aspect ratio control 720p
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2011, 21:01 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I am using my receiver's built in de-interlacer for watching my laserdiscs on a philips 1080 lcd display.
when the output resolution is set to 720p or 1080 the image get's distorted and stretched!
I discovered that this is a design flaw with many hdtv's that do not recognize the aspect ratio of upscaled images and simply stretch the whole picture!
I've read the article online "watching laserdiscs in the digital age"
I get an upscaled image centered on screen with black bars on all sides or a wide stretched image!
aspect ratio contol is not possible on the tv when it receives 72op or higher!
On the receiver there are only 2 options for adjusting the image. none of those seem to clear the problem.

I'm happy with the current 480p image that allows my tv to make it fit for now but would like to get an upscaled 720p picture that almost fits the screen.

What type of scaler that is somewhat affordable would be a good solution for more aspect ratio controls on a "modern" hdtv?

I'm sure someone around has the answer on this.

Thank you for helping out on this
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

Post subject: Re: aspect ratio control 720p
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2011, 00:47 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I know some TV's are different then each other when it comes to aspect ratios.

I haven't tried Hitachi (but would like to see one) but this one says it has 6 SD aspect modes and 4 HD aspect modes. So I would imagine you could adjust the aspect ratio in 1080 right on the TV.

http://www.hitachi.ca/Apps/hitachicanad ... cl/hcl/en/

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2011, 03:13 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Other then a crappy picture because of the transfer of many discs - I like 80s horror and they were crappy transfers to begin with. I run my Laserdisc through a phillips upscaling dvd player and it works fine. I have my tv set to 1080p and it is a Mitsubishi Rear Projection tv, very nice one.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2011, 04:52 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I use a DVDO HD+ on one set, it has all aspect ratios and choice of analog or digital output.

But on the set with HDMI, I use a Hitachi AVC08U, also has all aspect ratios controls in HD mode. For a good description of it, here's some I listed:

http://www.epage.com/js/mi/c1064/b1064/ ... 90275.html

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2011, 05:02 
True fan
True fan

Why use progressive scan for an interlaced signal? Set it to 1080i or lower. Works fantastic for me, but then I'm often sending my digitized LD material from computer via HDMI to plasma t.v., the new Samsung 51", looks fantastic, fits good. But then I have software to help scale it correctly, if necessary. But for clarity, fantastic with 1080i.

P.S. I know the T.V. is a progressive scan T.V., but some do a good job of working with interlaced. Of course this is another reason I rather like working from a digitized LD file.
8-) Elvis

Last edited by elviscaprice on 26 Nov 2011, 05:42, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2011, 05:19 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rixrex wrote:
I use a DVDO HD+ on one set, it has all aspect ratios and choice of analog or digital output.

But on the set with HDMI, I use a Hitachi AVC08U, also has all aspect ratios controls in HD mode. For a good description of it, here's some I listed:

http://www.epage.com/js/mi/c1064/b1064/ ... 90275.html

Sorry if this is a little off-topic, but I just got that unit (Hitachi AVC08U) a few weeks ago on eBay without the remote or manual. Is there anything on the remote that isn't on Harmony's remotes? And do you perhaps have a digital copy of the manual (the link on Hitachi's website always brings me to "page can not be found")?

thanks in advance!

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2011, 17:20 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I don't know about the Harmony remote. When I got the unit, I could not find any codes listed anywhere that would allow me to control it, and also could not find any universal code number to use in any aftermarket remote. So I had to buy a Hitachi remote and use it to program the learning remotes. The Hitachi remote specific for the 1.5 ultrathin series has the AVC device on device button marked cable/sat since it is also a tuner, but no universal remote with Hitachi cable box code would work. So the remotes I have that I send with the unit are specifically learning remotes and have all functions programmed in to corresponding buttons on the AUX device and 3 more devices available.

Hitachi site does not have manuals. The manuals I have are ones that came with the units. If you want one, I can get copy of it made but you have to pay for the copying. Or if you want a remote, I'll program one for you and send you a copy of the manual too with it at half the price of the Hitachi remote. But you can buy the Hitachi remote and use it too.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2011, 21:20 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rixrex wrote:
I don't know about the Harmony remote. When I got the unit, I could not find any codes listed anywhere that would allow me to control it, and also could not find any universal code number to use in any aftermarket remote. So I had to buy a Hitachi remote and use it to program the learning remotes. The Hitachi remote specific for the 1.5 ultrathin series has the AVC device on device button marked cable/sat since it is also a tuner, but no universal remote with Hitachi cable box code would work. So the remotes I have that I send with the unit are specifically learning remotes and have all functions programmed in to corresponding buttons on the AUX device and 3 more devices available.

Hitachi site does not have manuals. The manuals I have are ones that came with the units. If you want one, I can get copy of it made but you have to pay for the copying. Or if you want a remote, I'll program one for you and send you a copy of the manual too with it at half the price of the Hitachi remote. But you can buy the Hitachi remote and use it too.

The manual copy sounds perfect. How much for one?

Also, on the remote, are there buttons on there other than 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,Air/Cable,Aspect,CC,ChannelDown,ChannelUp,DirectionDown,DirectionLeft,DirectionRight,DirectionUp,Expanded,Guide,HDMI1,HDMI2,HDMI3,Info,Input1,Input2,Input3,Input4,InputFinish,
InputNext,Menu,Play,PowerToggle,PreviousChannel,Real,Return,Select,Zoom1,Zoom2 ?

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2011, 06:00 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I think $5 for the manual reprint is okay (includes shipping).

Which remote do you mean, the original or the remotes I have?

All of those controls you mention are on the remotes I have as they are on the original as well, but some of those related functions on either remote are placed within a single button or toggle. EG, the several aspect ratio functions are all within one button that scans through each ratio per each button pressing. Or like Closed Captionimg is set via the MENU function. My remote comes with a function diagram for easy use as well.

There are three functions I don't program, sound volume up and down, and mute. Those are left alone to be programmed later for the specific TV set being used. The original remote is preset to work Hitachi TVs on those buttons.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2011, 06:22 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rixrex wrote:
I think $5 for the manual reprint is okay (includes shipping).

Which remote do you mean, the original or the remotes I have?

All of those controls you mention are on the remotes I have as they are on the original as well, but some of those related functions on either remote are placed within a single button or toggle. EG, the several aspect ratio functions are all within one button that scans through each ratio per each button pressing. Or like Closed Captionimg is set via the MENU function. My remote comes with a function diagram for easy use as well.

There are three functions I don't program, sound volume up and down, and mute. Those are left alone to be programmed later for the specific TV set being used. The original remote is preset to work Hitachi TVs on those buttons.

So how do I pay you for the manual?

And so there aren't any extra buttons on your remotes? Like picture controls (e.g. contrast, color, etc.) or whathaveyou.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2011, 17:09 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

About the manual, send an email to rixrex @ netzero.net

Most all picture controls are within the MENU section of either remote, and AVC unit. They are not as extensive as in a DVDO unit for example, as you are expected to use your TV set to adjust most of the common picture controls. I'll look and see what controls are available a little later today.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2011, 20:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Okay, the picture controls that are available on the AVC unit and accessible through the remote are mostly having to do with the 3D comb filter. There are no adjustments for color, tint, brightness, contrast in the AVC unit, it's expected that you'd use your TV set for that. There are adjustments for several different aspect ratios including 4:3 with black sidebars, stretch (aka real) for anamorphic DVDs, Zoom 1 for letterboxed/widescreen LDs & DVDs, Zoom 2 for really close-up viewing or turning widescreen into 4:3 cropped for a 4:3 HD set. This way, if your set doesn't allow various aspect ratios on the HD setting, you can do it via the AVC unit. Also, the unit has two HD modes, 720p/1080i and 1080p, which are set via the MENU functions.

Well you have my email above. Let me know if interested in just the manual or a remote as well.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2011, 00:09 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rixrex wrote:
Okay, the picture controls that are available on the AVC unit and accessible through the remote are mostly having to do with the 3D comb filter. There are no adjustments for color, tint, brightness, contrast in the AVC unit, it's expected that you'd use your TV set for that. There are adjustments for several different aspect ratios including 4:3 with black sidebars, stretch (aka real) for anamorphic DVDs, Zoom 1 for letterboxed/widescreen LDs & DVDs, Zoom 2 for really close-up viewing or turning widescreen into 4:3 cropped for a 4:3 HD set. This way, if your set doesn't allow various aspect ratios on the HD setting, you can do it via the AVC unit. Also, the unit has two HD modes, 720p/1080i and 1080p, which are set via the MENU functions.

Well you have my email above. Let me know if interested in just the manual or a remote as well.

How did you get 720p out of it? Mine only toggles between 1080p and 1080i.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2011, 02:13 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

If you can toggle, then you must have some sort of remote already set up for it, right?

The 1080i setting is for 720p as well. All 720p TVs are either 720p/1080i like the Sony HD XBR Wega's, or they are 720p with a built-in conversion from 1080i to 720p, like all 720p Panasonics, Sharps and the others, etc, plasma and CCFL LCDs. The reason for this being built in to the TV is because HD digital broadcast standards allow either 720p or 1080i as a choice for the TV station to broadcast. Therefore 720p only sets had to be designed to accept 1080i HD signal.

Some of the later model 720p plasmas and LCDs even accept 1080p and convert that to 720p. My 42" Sharp Aquos, a 720p set, does that.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]