It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:31

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: Unstable picture on my plasma and lcd...
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 04:28 
I have had my player connected to my TV via it's composite output because of the general idea that the comb filter in any newer TV is better than one in an old laserdisc player. Unfortunately when I pause a disc the still image is very unstable and appears to shake. When using the S video output the image pauses as it is supposed too. Is this a comb filter issue with the TV?

Post subject: Re: Unstable picture on my plasma and lcd...
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 05:27 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

What model of player? I suspect that you are doing a still-frame operation (not "pause", which on most players blanks the screen) on a CLV Extended Play disc. Try a CAV disc, which should not show this effect. (If you don't have anything else, most dead sides are CAV, & Pioneer's "turn me over turtle" is a good enough image for comparison.) Players which will still-frame a CLV disc only store one field, half the frame, & outputting this repeatedly creates a reduced-quality image. It may be worse using composite connexion because more processing has to be done to separate the chroma, so in a sense this is a comb filter issue, but not of the kind you would normally expect.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 06:29 
You are correct, I am trying to perform a still frame operation, not a pause. It doesn't matter if it is a CLV or a CAV disc. The image still jitters from side to side. Again it is perfectly stable through s-video. My player is a Faroudja LD1000. I also experienced the exact same thing with a Pioneer Elite CLD-79.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 22:55 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

With the Elite CLD-79 the composite output is a simple analog recombine of the Y/C signals so the problem would be with the comb filter in your TV.

The Faroudja is a CLD-99 and I cannot remember the updates they made or in another words, if it still has the Pioneer output then it is a Y/C analog combine to get the composite just like the 79.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 00:13 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

That's the problem I ran into using laserdisc with new flatscreen TV's (compared to crt) Some LCD are better at handling a interlaced signal then others, as to how much jitter on a still picture. I found some of the older LCD models (made when some people still had VCR) I tried were a bit better, compared to new ones geared towards HD/blu-ray.

If you run your LD signal through a DVD recorder, and output that to your LCD worked for me to get a still picture.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 05:50 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I found the same problem as well, and cleared it up when I ran the LD composite through an Hitachi AVC enhancer to HDMI.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 21:43 
Quote:
Some LCD are better at handling a interlaced signal then others

This. It sounds like the processor in your TV is refreshing at an odd speed probably due to a low quality processor. Odd that it'd be fine using S-Video since you would expect it to use the same process but it may just bypass it altogether. There may be a setting on your TV for this though. I've seen some HDTVs do this and it turned out to be a filter that was causing the issue.

If it's a serious must have feature for you, maybe you should consider an upscaler. I can't guarentee it'll remove the issue though.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2012, 03:15 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The only flat screen TV I can recommend to use without a Processor are the Pioneer plasma units. Of course they dropped out of the display business. They are now back in a partnership with Sharp and you can fine the Elite brand in Best Buy Magnolia Centers but they 60" is about $5500 and the 70" is $7000.

All the others would have weird colors in shaded areas and other issues.

Post subject: Re: Unstable picture on my plasma and lcd...  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2012, 19:16 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I experienced the same issue with a Sharp Aquos LC-52D62U HDTV. However, sending the LD signal through the DVDO iScan VP20 resolved the issue for me.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2012, 02:53 
This is an interesting issue. I plan to buy another plasma later this year. I will check out those by Pioneer, if any are left in stock. I am also interested in Panasonic's Viera line, I may test a few of these as well.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2020, 12:57 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

figured I would bump this I have a similar issue. ive got a pioneer CLD-D504 going into a pretty basic samsung 32" 1080 tv.

it actually works better than my previous HD tv so that is nice but there is still a noticeable jitter when doing still frames on CAV discs.

it does not have s-video input so I cannot test that theory but interested if anyone has a good solution a few years later.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2020, 18:47 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Funny that you brought this up as I had an issue w/ unstable still frame images on my former Samsung LCD TV from 2008. The issue appears to be the TV just having an issue locking it's sync into the composite signal and the only way I resolved it was to replace my TV. I am now using a 2011 Panasonic plasma and it has been perfect.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2020, 23:33 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

ldfan wrote:
Funny that you brought this up as I had an issue w/ unstable still frame images on my former Samsung LCD TV from 2008. The issue appears to be the TV just having an issue locking it's sync into the composite signal and the only way I resolved it was to replace my TV. I am now using a 2011 Panasonic plasma and it has been perfect.

was afraid that might be the answer. been contemplating making the jump to 4k any talk on laserdisc on 4k tvs?

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2020, 03:26 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

We got a 4K Bravia in 2017 and LD looks very very good on it. I’ve never tested the still frame stability though.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2020, 06:12 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have a JVC tv which the image slighty vibrates left and right with my d590 and R7 using composite
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2020, 06:38 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I’m testing out my Bravia now with a CLD-D503 (no frame buffer) and Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory vol.12 [BEAL-432]. I do see a sort of left/right jitter even on the clean frames. The circuit in the TV is trying to “pick a side” whereas on the analog setup they would sort of blur together. Sync is no issue whatsoever, rock solid. I frame-by-framed the S out of this episode as well as Multi-Speed forwards and back at all speeds.

Just so there is no undue expectation, even in the best of times the interlace frame drop issues make 1/3 of the frames crappy even on a fully analog CRT setup. Ideally though you should have most frames of 24fps content viewable in a non-distracting manner. It isn’t horrible, but I’m used to super stable stills so this is somewhat of a disappointment. This isn’t an issue with my XBR960 HDCRT, maybe I’ll test my 1080p Sony...

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2021, 03:16 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

So since I last posted my old player siezed up but I upgraded to a cld-99

When I plugged in the av I was disappointed to see jitter still present. But I decided now was time to try s-video. I bought a cheap s-video to hdmi converter and sure enough rock solid still frame.

I’m feeling pretty pleased so I start messing with the hdmi video settings with video standard. And I notice that one of the boxes in the various rows of colors is shorter than the others.

Sure enough comparing the av and hdmi (I had them both connected still) the hdmi is slightly zoomed and picture is moved up a bit.

Any clue on why that would be and if there is a fix. It’s not a ridiculous amount but now that I know about it I’ll always be annoyed.

Suppose I could use one input for still frame stuff one for actually watching but if need more audio cords then... :thumbdown:

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ]