It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:20

Page 2 of 3 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Caring for your laserdiscs
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2013, 17:39 
True fan
True fan

Where can I find a heavy LD-sized bookend?

Also, is it OK to let an LD lean diagonally? It doesn't have any pressure on it, of course. It's just the last one in a box with no other LDs in front of it to hold it up.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2013, 17:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

All of my collection have the following,

Outer protective sleeves with either the thick type with the overlay dust flap from the US, or the resealable outer covers from Japan.

Most of the inners apart from the likes of MGM and one or, 1 or 2 other producers, with the rest having all anti static replacements.

Regards

:wave: :D

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2013, 19:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

acuozzo wrote:

Also, is it OK to let an LD lean diagonally? It doesn't have any pressure on it, of course. It's just the last one in a box with no other LDs in front of it to hold it up.

No, no non-supported diagonal storage like that! It will eventually cause warpage and LaserDisc warps are very difficult to remove.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2013, 12:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

acuozzo wrote:

IKEA got a bookshelf serie called EXPEDIT http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00208646/

Pretty much made for record/ld storage. The got all kinds of add-ons for it to, if you want other than records/lds in them =)

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2013, 16:26 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

i would look into a cast iron bookend, you can add a piece of plastic or wood as a buffer for that last disc.
good luck.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2013, 17:48 
True fan
True fan

Well, I've finally re-sleeved and stored my entire collection. I have less than 100 LDs, but it took much longer than I thought it would.

I use these inner sleeves: https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-5790-12 ... eeves.aspx
I use these outer sleeves: https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-4186-12 ... leeve.aspx

Due to a lack of storage space and financial constraints, I keep all of my LDs stored in the following boxes: https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-3839-12 ... board.aspx

If a box isn't full, I use the following spacers to keep everything nice and vertical: https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-6234-lp ... panel.aspx

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2013, 18:35 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I have found those Bags unlimited sleeves for much less(to my surprise) in local LP stores. I bought a couple of bags for $8.99 from Newbury Comics which New England only. They are authentic bags unlimited products. I have gone over their selection and figured these ones you bought fits best to 2-3 disc titles. They have 1 size smaller, that's perfect for 1 disc LDs. They also have 14"x14" bags that can fit some box sets.
I also found these guys online: https://www.squaredealonline.com/a.asp?s=J9
they have a better selection. I emailed them a few times they were very prompt and helpful(willing to send samples) I have not ordered from them yet.

I use these as storage from Target: http://www.target.com/p/threshold-stora ... rage+brown

They are perfect fit for LDs. You can generally find them on sale for under $9.99 each. I turned my closet into media shelves. Bought some paint, some plywood from Home Depot. Overall I spent less than $100 and a few hours of my life. Now it holds more than 800 Blu-ray discs. I can fit 5 of these Target storage bins on the bottom.

Attachment:
20130830_131935_Billings Rd.jpg
20130830_131935_Billings Rd.jpg [ 248.11 KiB | Viewed 13203 times ]

Top 2 and 1/3 of the 3rd shelf are Criterion Collection Blu-rays, rest of 3rd shelf are Kino Lorber, Tartan Palisades, Draft house Pictures , Oscilloscope Labs and some Korean and HK imports(Bruce Less films). 4th shelf starts with Sony Picture Classics then rest of the movies in alphabetical order.

Bottom bins I have Babylon 5, Star Trek TNG, DS9 and domestic Star Wars LDs along with some 100 other titles. I have 3 more bins in other parts of the room. I also have 3 extra cabinets for the rest of the Blu-rays. 1 for TV shows and Disney, 1 for Collectors editions, 1 for music and hd-dvds. Those I bought from Ikea.

Next project I am going install some LED lights inside the closet.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2013, 13:59 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Really nice tip on those boxes from Target. A lot cheaper than have to get something from bags unlimited and paying shipping on top of it.

I have found you can find those outer sleeves cheaper at your local record stores as well.

One other thing, if you need a spacer in there you could probably just run out to goodwill and grab a few boxsets of vinyl for literally a quarter or so. I tend to find a lot of ones for classical music.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2013, 00:33 
True fan
True fan

Where can I get inner and outer sleeves for my 8" LDs?

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2013, 03:10 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

i can't remember right now, but it's either golden age comic bags or magazine bags, they work great on 8 inch discs.
inner, good luck, you will have to get some type of hot knife and make your own.
or buy a bunch of cheap 8 inch discs and take the inner sleeves off.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2014, 16:53 
Digitize them lol. Find a Panasonic DMR-EXXX DVD recorder and you can make high quality DVDs out of them. Could copy the DVDs to your HDD; could use a DVD-RW so you don't waste discs. It's complicated but afterwards you can keep the LDs shrink wrapped away from humidity and what not. Will also preserve your precious LD hardware you spent an arm and a leg on.

acuozzo:
You ever try one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-HD-YPbPr-Composite-AV-S-Video-Audio-Video-AV-Capture-Card-Grabber-/390706826853?pt=US_Video_Capture_TV_Tuner_Cards&hash=item5af7f10e65? Does it have agc problems with ypbpr?

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2014, 08:34 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

What about using just cotton and warm (not hot) water to clean the discs?

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2015, 16:51 
True fan
True fan

I perfer the paper with poly lined on the inside. That is how LDs came here in the UK. Only American imports used the plastic u shaped bags. I dump them and replace with poly lined paper sleeves. They are rigid and slide into the jacket easily.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2015, 09:44 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

daro2096 wrote:
I perfer the paper with poly lined on the inside. That is how LDs came here in the UK. Only American imports used the plastic u shaped bags. I dump them and replace with poly lined paper sleeves. They are rigid and slide into the jacket easily.

May I please ask you where you get your poly lined paper sleeves ?

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2015, 15:50 
True fan
True fan

confederate wrote:
daro2096 wrote:

eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-12-POLYLI ... 58aa5c1e15

I got 50 from this seller. They were as pictured(at least in my case).

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015, 22:50 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

confederate wrote:

confederate, you might also want to check out this place:
http://protected.de/de/lp-zubehoer

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2016, 07:45 
Guest wrote:
Digitize them lol. Find a Panasonic DMR-EXXX DVD recorder and you can make high quality DVDs out of them. Could copy the DVDs to your HDD; could use a DVD-RW so you don't waste discs. It's complicated but afterwards you can keep the LDs shrink wrapped away from humidity and what not. Will also preserve your precious LD hardware you spent an arm and a leg on.

acuozzo:
You ever try one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-HD-YPbPr-Composite-AV-S-Video-Audio-Video-AV-Capture-Card-Grabber-/390706826853?pt=US_Video_Capture_TV_Tuner_Cards&hash=item5af7f10e65? Does it have agc problems with ypbpr?

Um, no.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2016, 19:46 
did anyone use Milty Permaclean to clean filth of laserdiscs?
this cleaning solvent use Isopropanol which you can spray on disc surface then wipe it off
is it bad using isopropanol on disc surface?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Milty-Permaclea ... XQWzNSc3iB

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2016, 00:50 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Technically, yes. However, it's only going to be a problem if you are some kind of animal that needs to clean your LDs all the time. I've never used anything but Windex (amonia and alcohol, both "bad") and nothing ever shattered in one of my players. That's because the most I've ever cleaned an LD is probably twice...in what is now almost 24 years of collecting.

LDs are like camera lenses. The best way to clean them is to never get them dirty in the first place.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2016, 01:32 
signofzeta wrote:
Technically, yes. However, it's only going to be a problem if you are some kind of animal that needs to clean your LDs all the time. I've never used anything but Windex (amonia and alcohol, both "bad") and nothing ever shattered in one of my players. That's because the most I've ever cleaned an LD is probably twice...in what is now almost 24 years of collecting.

LDs are like camera lenses. The best way to clean them is to never get them dirty in the first place.

yes Sir I'm an animal, please don't tell anyone! :shh: :lol:
when i buy used discs some of them has greasy fingerprints on discsurface from previous owner
one disc had dried residue from fingerprints touching somekind of gunk, i have to clean that disc b4 i play it

Page 2 of 3 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next