It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:07

Page 3 of 3 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Caring for your laserdiscs
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2016, 03:09 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

carlosthejackal wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
Technically, yes. However, it's only going to be a problem if you are some kind of animal that needs to clean your LDs all the time. I've never used anything but Windex (amonia and alcohol, both "bad") and nothing ever shattered in one of my players. That's because the most I've ever cleaned an LD is probably twice...in what is now almost 24 years of collecting.

LDs are like camera lenses. The best way to clean them is to never get them dirty in the first place.

yes Sir I'm an animal, please don't tell anyone! :shh: :lol:
when i buy used discs some of them has greasy fingerprints on discsurface from previous owner
one disc had dried residue from fingerprints touching somekind of gunk, i have to clean that disc b4 i play it

Yeah, you don't want to dirty the laser :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2016, 11:16 
not everyone treats their discs the way they shuld!
i think i might get playback problems like skipping chapters or laser getting stuck on smudged area.
it was gunk or other crap PO had on his fingers leaving gunk prints to dry on disc surface, i believe laser will have trubble reading the disc if i don't clean it b4 i play the disc

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2016, 11:23 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The disc needs to be really beat up before you get any serious problems. I've had two discs give me laser lock. One was a production defect, the other had a 3mm wide scratch. A disc can have fingerprints and a bunch of light scratches and still play fine.

Most of the time I experience discs have some sort of residue from the elephant condoms. This goes away with some light wiping with a microfiber cloth. If the disc has fingerprints I just use some wipes intended for cleaning glasses, if I bother cleaning it off.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2016, 12:36 
it looks like dried elephant seemen or other nasty gunk that PO had on his hand and fingers, this gunk dried on disc surface creating hard smudge I have to sanatize the disc. :think:
buying used stuff is risky biniz if stuff is contaminated with germs! :thumbdown: :o :sick:
luckily i wash my hands everytime i have touched a used disc :thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2016, 14:34 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

carlosthejackal wrote:
it looks like dried elephant seemen or other nasty gunk that PO had on his hand and fingers, this gunk dried on disc surface creating hard smudge I have to sanatize the disc. :think:
buying used stuff is risky biniz if stuff is contaminated with germs! :thumbdown: :o :sick:
luckily i wash my hands everytime i have touched a used disc :thumbup: :thumbup:

Germs are the least of your problems.
What about bugs, or even bed bugs, they could be in the sleeve and escape then you have bed bugs.........

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2016, 15:38 
thats a risk we take when we are buying 2nd hand stuff

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2016, 16:07 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Quote:
Germs are the least of your problems.
What about bugs, or even bed bugs, they could be in the sleeve and escape then you have bed bugs.........

You guys have made me paranoid now!!! :wtf:

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2016, 17:17 
don't want any HIV, yello sooth or ebola touching used stuff! :think: :o :crazy:

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2016, 20:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

What I were talking about is just some really light film from the plastic bag the disc is stored in. I've really only seen it from the plastic bags found mostly in japanese releases. Those bags many people hate, and nicknamed "elephant condoms" because of the shape and size. You'd probably not notice it at first glance either, the disc would appear to be spotless. I've even seen this on brand new sealed discs too. Not sure what it is, but light wiping over the disc gets rid of it.

I rarely see discs with actual smudges on them. Only discs I've seen that on were some movies obviously kids have handled. Besides that it is not uncommon with scratches on the disc surface, but it usually doesn't affect the playback.

Scratches and fingerprints are just something one has to live with when it comes to second hand discs. Most people really couldn't care less how it is handled. I've seen way too many times where people have attempted to clean discs, and scratched them more or create a chemical reaction that ruined it. Stickers on covers is also a common thing people tend to mess up and make the situation even worse. If one is unsure if the cleaning method could cause more damage, just leave it as is.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2016, 23:45 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

samaron wrote:
What I were talking about is just some really light film from the plastic bag the disc is stored in. I've really only seen it from the plastic bags found mostly in japanese releases. Those bags many people hate, and nicknamed "elephant condoms" because of the shape and size. You'd probably not notice it at first glance either, the disc would appear to be spotless. I've even seen this on brand new sealed discs too. Not sure what it is, but light wiping over the disc gets rid of it.

I rarely see discs with actual smudges on them. Only discs I've seen that on were some movies obviously kids have handled. Besides that it is not uncommon with scratches on the disc surface, but it usually doesn't affect the playback.

Scratches and fingerprints are just something one has to live with when it comes to second hand discs. Most people really couldn't care less how it is handled. I've seen way too many times where people have attempted to clean discs, and scratched them more or create a chemical reaction that ruined it. Stickers on covers is also a common thing people tend to mess up and make the situation even worse. If one is unsure if the cleaning method could cause more damage, just leave it as is.

Very good advice above. The disc marking from the bag is most likely to be a release agent of some sort used during the processing of the plastic film used to construct the bag or a reaction to any mould release agent that may have been used in the disc manufacturing process with the plastic "elephant condom" - whatever it is it does come off the disc with the light wiping as mentioned. Also....."Stickers on covers is also a common thing people tend to mess up and make the situation even worse. If one is unsure if the cleaning method could cause more damage, just leave it as is."..... & I could not agree more on that one & often time takes care of removal as some have come off of there own accord when the adhesive used (on some but not all) dries up but that can take many years - I usually just leave them be unless it is the ones that are clearly the easy peel type.

If you ever acquire a Japanese Pioneer disc with one of their "LaserDisc SAMPLE" round white stickers on the cover (& very occasionally on the actual disc labels also) don't even think about trying to take them off, almost guaranteed to leave you with a ruined cover.

PostPosted: 18 May 2016, 22:35 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

You guys are just lucky that the discs are made from polycarbonate instead of acrylic. Acrylic is so strongly attacked by alcohol that I've seen pieces sit there and break into many small chunks with a hundred little cracks following exposure with no extra help.
LX-1000U (1990)
Samsung PN51F5300 Plasma HDTV (2013)

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2016, 18:34 
Honest fan
Honest fan

If you do want to remove stickers though, it is actually easy to do with a simple product called lighter fluid (the type sold in cans to be used in Zippo cigarette lighters). I start by saturating the sticker with lighter fluid and leave it for a couple of minutes to do its magic. Then I take a small piece of paper and start sliding it underneath the sticker. If any resistance is felt during this process give it another squirt of lighter fluid, wait, and continue until the sticker slides right off onto your piece of paper. If there any sticky residue left behind simply wipe it away with a paper towel moistened in lighter fluid. Once the lighter fluid has fully dried there is not a single mark or stain left from having used it...works like a charm everytime!

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2017, 02:38 
Hello,

related topic.

How can i care for my laserdisc players?

Store them right side up? upside down?
turn them on once per year?

whats the rules? i've seen so many posts start out
"i last turned the player on a year ago and it worked fine, now its giving me error XXX and nothing works!"

to which the only answers are "replace belt, ring, and your power board / laser".

so how to avoid this fate of all fates? thanks!
besides the obvious "store in a dry (but not too dry) location, out of direct sun, heat, cold, damp, etc."

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2017, 21:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just mentioned this in another thread......

I rotate three players throughout the year, four months average in service.
Been doing this for years with never an issue mechanical wise.
If they sit "too" long out of use entropy creeps in !

Machines are similar to bio-mechanics....... use it or loose it !

When not in use, my players are stacked in a closet ready to rotate back to the entertainment center.

Key is to keep them in use vs. letting them sit for too long for extended periods of time.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2017, 07:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

joey2064 wrote:
If you do want to remove stickers though, it is actually easy to do with a simple product called lighter fluid (the type sold in cans to be used in Zippo cigarette lighters). I start by saturating the sticker with lighter fluid and leave it for a couple of minutes to do its magic. Then I take a small piece of paper and start sliding it underneath the sticker. If any resistance is felt during this process give it another squirt of lighter fluid, wait, and continue until the sticker slides right off onto your piece of paper. If there any sticky residue left behind simply wipe it away with a paper towel moistened in lighter fluid. Once the lighter fluid has fully dried there is not a single mark or stain left from having used it...works like a charm everytime!

Cool tip. I have a similar product called "sticker remover" but using zippo lighter fluid seems way cooler to me, I will switch.

PostPosted: 20 May 2017, 18:40 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Hi there just wondering if anyone can offer some advice, I have just bought a laserdisc from ebay "The Great Outdoors" all seemed fine with the disc until I removed it from the plastic sleeve when the stickers on the centre of the disc just fell off. This happened on both sides. Has anyone successfully stuck them back on and if so what glue did you use?. Hope someone can help thanks!

PostPosted: 20 May 2017, 22:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Probably better to just leave them off. Use a permanent marker and write which side is which on the area. There are so many different types of glue around, getting one that stick the label properly might be hard. My experience is that the good stuff isn't available for regular consumers, only industrial use. Got a couple of discs without the labels my self, I just wrote 1 and 2 to identify the sides.

PostPosted: 20 May 2017, 23:58 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The labels fell off my US Land Before Time. One I had to open up the machine to retrieve, so I never glued them back on, I don't want to do that again.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 21 May 2017, 12:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Meanwhile in sticker removal land it turns out that lighter fluid works better than "sticker remover" from the hardware store. I might start smoking too, just to use a cool zippo..

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2018, 18:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:
Meanwhile in sticker removal land it turns out that lighter fluid works better than "sticker remover" from the hardware store. I might start smoking too, just to use a cool zippo..

Zippo fuel is basically gasoline, is that safe to use?

I use it to wipe off sticker residue from toys but you never know...

Page 3 of 3 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3