It is currently 21 Nov 2019, 18:20

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: LD Player for a new owner
PostPosted: 20 May 2018, 15:27 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I would like to archive a LD discs. I am interested in one in particular, but since I am getting myself a LD player, then it is better to acquire more discs for archiving purposes.

I am willing to invest ~400 USD on a player. Which one shall I get?

I would like to capture the best lossless video/audio that my player can produce, I prefer a USB device that works on Win 10, what are your recommendations?

Are you guys aware of more unique LD discs that worth to watch and digitize?

If this is not the proper place for my inquiries, then I apologize and plz move it to the proper sub forum

Thnx

Post subject: Re: LD Player for a new owner
PostPosted: 22 May 2018, 09:52 
Site Admin
Site Admin

mat1926 wrote:
I would like to archive a LD discs. I am interested in one in particular, but since I am getting myself a LD player, then it is better to acquire more discs for archiving purposes.

I am willing to invest ~400 USD on a player. Which one shall I get?

I would like to capture the best lossless video/audio that my player can produce, I prefer a USB device that works on Win 10, what are your recommendations?

Are you guys aware of more unique LD discs that worth to watch and digitize?

If this is not the proper place for my inquiries, then I apologize and plz move it to the proper sub forum

Thnx

Hello!

Problem #1 will be to ship anything as fragile as a LD Player to Zimbabwe without having it damaged on your end.

Plus I am not aware of Laserdiscs being ever released in any African country, you will have to import them all from outside Africa...

I'm not sure it sounds like a smart move financially!

Julien

PostPosted: 22 May 2018, 10:27 
Third post and above
Third post and above

First let me ask you, are LD players multi-system or not? Can I have one for NTSC/PAL sources?

I will buy one from eBay and it will be shipped using DHL. So plz would you suggest a US LD player, and as I said I am only interested in 1 title only, however are you aware of any titles that were never released on DVD/Blu-Ray?

Thnx

*edit1*
I also would like to capture video/audio (highest quality possible, lossless), so how can I achieve that? I prefer to use a USB device that acts like a passthru, no transcoding whatsoever...

*edit2*
Currently I am using a high-end TBC for VHS capturing, do I need one for LD?

Thnx again...

PostPosted: 22 May 2018, 16:54 
Site Admin
Site Admin

mat1926 wrote:
First let me ask you, are LD players multi-system or not? Can I have one for NTSC/PAL sources?

For both PAL/NTSC it will have to be a European player.

mat1926 wrote:
Are you aware of any titles that were never released on DVD/Blu-Ray?

Also start by browsing the forum for previous topics:

Ultimate list of Laserdisc titles that are significant
LaserDisc Commentaries NOT on DVD/BD
Criterion LD Commentaries NOT on DVD/BD

mat1926 wrote:
I also would like to capture video/audio (highest quality possible, lossless), so how can I achieve that? I prefer to use a USB device that acts like a passthru, no transcoding whatsoever...

This is not possible, LD are analog and you want a digital capture, it will be transcoded.
Lossless doesn't mean anything for LD analog video signal, see: Capturing Laserdiscs in Standard definition?

You may try by reading this topic first: DVD Recorders with 3D Comb Filters

mat1926 wrote:
Currently I am using a high-end TBC for VHS capturing, do I need one for LD?

I don't think a Time-Base Corrector would be any good for LaserDisc replay.

Julien

PostPosted: 22 May 2018, 20:31 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Read my thread on buying a players through eBay: Keep getting scammed on eBay - Laserdisc players.

$400 is simply not enough. You're going to have to buy a player and either refurbish it yourself or find someone who can do the refurbishing for you. In either case, you will spend time and more money finding the parts. Then, you will spend more time calibrating and adjusting the player so it can play the discs properly and to its optimal ability.

Laserdisc video is analog. You will want the highest quality video ADCs possible to achieve good resolution, SNR, etc. otherwise there is no point in having even the best player. Then there is the issue of sound. Do you want to record the digital audio channels, or perhaps even the surround data on the AC-3 RF track?

Lots to think about here.

PostPosted: 22 May 2018, 20:35 
Third post and above
Third post and above

jeffl3001 wrote:
$400 is simply not enough.

Brilliant :clap: , how much do you consider is enough?!

Thnx

PostPosted: 22 May 2018, 20:48 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If Karaoke was a thing in the 90's over there, there might, just might, be some Karaoke players floating about.

Otherwise I see laserdiscs being a rather rare and upper class thing over there - it wasn't cheap even in the west.

PostPosted: 22 May 2018, 21:43 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Since you haven't really answered what films you are look at your best bet is to just stick with DVD, Bluray or even download.

I can't even imagine getting LDs sent to you and the shipping you would be paying, then selling those LDs off after you illegally copy them would just be crazy.

PostPosted: 22 May 2018, 22:14 
Third post and above
Third post and above

rein-o wrote:
Since you haven't really answered what films you are look at your best bet is to just stick with DVD, Bluray or even download.

I can't even imagine getting LDs sent to you and the shipping you would be paying, then selling those LDs off after you illegally copy them would just be crazy.

No one asked me what movies I am after! I already stated that I would like to digitize 1 LD, however since I don't know much about LDs in general, I was curious if it is possible to find unique ones...

Also, I made it clear that I would like to digitize the LDs, I did that for all my VHS/DVD/Blu-Rays, I am not hiding anything!

Can you explain what do you mean by "illegally copying them"?! I own the discs, I have the right to make copies, or sell them if I wanted even...This is not your business!

However, I do own every VHS/DVD/Blu-Ray I ever bought! I don't sell anything to anyone...I am not in need to do that...

PostPosted: 22 May 2018, 22:57 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

mat1926 wrote:
rein-o wrote:

No one asked me what movies I am after! I already stated that I would like to digitize 1 LD, however since I don't know much about LDs in general, I was curious if it is possible to find unique ones...

Also, I made it clear that I would like to digitize the LDs, I did that for all my VHS/DVD/Blu-Rays, I am not hiding anything!

Can you explain what do you mean by "illegally copying them"?! I own the discs, I have the right to make copies, or sell them if I wanted even...This is not your business!

However, I do own every VHS/DVD/Blu-Ray I ever bought! I don't sell anything to anyone...I am not in need to do that...

Take it easy, I'm not the FBI but it is an illegal thing to do, not my rules, I'm not 3000 years old I didn't make them so don't start any fight with me, I'm not fighting you.

Anyway if you are doing just 1 LD it may not be worth your time or money to get such a player and all sent to you half way around the world.

How is your shipping service there?? I'll sell you a working player that has been gone over, I'll pack it well but I'm not giving any guarantee that it will work when you get it.

Are you ready to pay double the price just on shipping i.e. player is 100 bucks shipping is 200 bucks.

PostPosted: 22 May 2018, 22:57 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

mat1926 wrote:
I was curious if it is possible to find unique ones...

Check out the threads you were directed to already, they are full of information on this.

PostPosted: 22 May 2018, 23:05 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

$400 should be enough to buy a used PAL/NTSC player in Europe.
Shipping would be costly though, as you would need bullet proof packaging for it to arrive in one piece.
Yet you still have no guarantee that it will still work, as its a fragile electronic device.
The easy way: you let us know which movie you want to digitize, and someone maybe could do it for you as a per-se backup-copy on DVD if you buy the LD from him.
Would keep you out of a lot of trouble. But I understand if you want to do it yourself. Look for a player like Pioneer CLD-1850 (single sided, less things to malfunction).
Or Pioneer CLD-2950/CLD D-925 for double sided - DVL 909 or 919 European models (with Scart connectors on the back) would also be an option, but are likely more
expensive. Parts are likely scarce for all these models by now. Good luck!

PostPosted: 23 May 2018, 00:04 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

For one movie this is nuts. Just buy the LD and pay someone to digitize it for you.

PostPosted: 23 May 2018, 00:35 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Packaging is not the issue. It's the handling that's the problem. My players all were packed just fine. They get jostled in shipping regardless of how they are packed. Being shipped overseas into another country and going through customs the player will likely be unpacked and inspected, so there will be that consideration.

My CLD-59s and other players with the M-holder issue will have broken M-holders no matter how careful the shipping carrier is.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]