It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 11:24

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: New (not really) Laserdisc Repair Service?
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2019, 16:56 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I recently found out that my local electronics repair shop (located in MN, USA) will still repair laserdisc players. They were previously a Pioneer authorized laserdisc repair center and have all the necessary equipment and trained personnel to do repairs. Speaking to them, they said they generally have had good success reapairing players, but parts availability is their most significant barrier for repairs. I brought in my broken CLD-97, and will post an update as I have more information. As a result, I won't recommend them quite yet, but also plan on bringing in a couple of other players that require some tune up. If it goes well, I will post more information about them, and provide contact information etc. More to come, and wish us luck!

Post subject: Re: New (not really) Laserdisc Repair Service?
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2019, 17:48 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

This is the real problem, not so much tech or people understanding how micro the adjustments need to be but the parts.

Without parts these players will be going pretty fast and its sad.

Even CED players have some people who can "rebuild" the stylus for them, but LDs without lasers and spindles we are SOL. :(

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2019, 03:29 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Interesting. If it were me, I'd ask to see their test disc just to make sure they're actually performing an alignment.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2019, 00:31 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rein-o wrote:
This is the real problem, not so much tech or people understanding how micro the adjustments need to be but the parts.

Without parts these players will be going pretty fast and its sad.

Even CED players have some people who can "rebuild" the stylus for them, but LDs without lasers and spindles we are SOL. :(

Everyone hates Sony but I've been able to buy multiple NOS lasers for C2EX and C1, still can't believe they were still around.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2020, 15:51 
True fan
True fan

ffrolvaag wrote:
I recently found out that my local electronics repair shop (located in MN, USA) will still repair laserdisc players. They were previously a Pioneer authorized laserdisc repair center and have all the necessary equipment and trained personnel to do repairs. Speaking to them, they said they generally have had good success reapairing players, but parts availability is their most significant barrier for repairs. I brought in my broken CLD-97, and will post an update as I have more information. As a result, I won't recommend them quite yet, but also plan on bringing in a couple of other players that require some tune up. If it goes well, I will post more information about them, and provide contact information etc. More to come, and wish us luck!

Any update on how good the service is/was?

I'm in MN too, and I'm curious whom I can take my players to in this state.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]