It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 09:47

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: What is this type of video noise called?
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2012, 10:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

So I occasionally notice this type of noise/artifact where there are wavering lines perpendicular-ish to the real lines they're noising (or whatever you'd call it, "altering" maybe?). Does anybody know what they're called?
Here are two examples (ignore the rainbowing). Also, they're stills, so you can't see that the lines are moving, but they are.

The first one is from the Region 1 DVD release of the second season of Orphen (click to unzoom/enlarge)

The second one is from Hyper Doll: Act.2 (1995) [PILA-1300A] (click to unzoom/enlarge)

Sorry if that last one was harder to see. I had to use a camera to take a picture of the TV (instead of taking a screencap on my PC like with the first one), but it's pretty much the same artifact in both images. Also, can anyone else with the Hyper Doll LaserDisc confirm if that noise is in their copy too? (just in case the noise isn't part of the source and I'm adding it somewhere in the chain)

Post subject: Re: What is this type of video noise called?
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2012, 16:37 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

It looks like aliasing to me.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2012, 23:34 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Now if you could specify where exactly in Hyper Dolls Act 2 I will have to look...
I might give it a try.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2012, 00:03 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

lons_vex wrote:
Now if you could specify where exactly in Hyper Dolls Act 2 I will have to look...
I might give it a try.

Pretty much on every line through the whole episode (but that shot specifically was from the cold open).

Also, I'm wondering if it really is aliasing, because it's not like the lines are jagged or stairstepping. The lines themselves seem fine, but there are all these tiny little lines running opposite the real lines. Though I could just be forgetting what aliasing means...

Oh and if you enlarge the Orphen picture, you'll see that the side of the frame (the picture is of the bottom right corner of a shot from the show) has a whole bunch of little lines running exactly horizontal. I see the same thing on the Hyper Doll disc and pretty much every time I see this problem.

EDIT: I'm linking to a short seven second video that kind of shows what I'm talking about. Again , it was captured with a camera, so it's not exactly as shown in the video (the clip is pretty blurred), but close. I also took this from that same Hyper Doll disc. The problem is more pronounced in the Orphen disc I mentioned earlier, but using this was easier.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2012, 22:34 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I believe you are seeing the result of scaling on cross-colour. That would be some combination of the disc, the comb filter, & the scaler at work. The first image leads me to believe that the Orphen DVD was made from a composite master.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2012, 23:48 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

publius wrote:
I believe you are seeing the result of scaling on cross-colour. That would be some combination of the disc, the comb filter, & the scaler at work. The first image leads me to believe that the Orphen DVD was made from a composite master.

So if changing the scaler and comb filter don't get rid of the problem, it's the fault of the disc?

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012, 02:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

It's more of a property of the video system than of the disc itself. The Faroudja Super-NTSC encoder tended to reduce this type of problem, but it has a tendency to occur on very sharp edges (common in hand-drawn anime with its black lines), especially on diagonals.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]