It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:56

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Crystalio II VPS-3800 Power Supply Replacement
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2020, 17:57 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Can someone please help me out? I'm humbly asking if anyone has the correct pin out of the original CWT PSM200A-89 power supply that shipped with the VPS-3800. It uses a 6 pin molex connector.

I ordered a replacement power supply but it has a 24 pin connector (standard for computers). I have the pin out for that but what I need to find out is the voltage and polarity of the 6 pin connection to the Crystalio. The CWT power supply lists the voltages and polarity on the label but does not indicate which wires/pins.

The 6 pin connection has Yellow, Red x2, Black x2 and Blue. I know it needs 3.3v, 5v and 12v.

I've sent an email to Lion@pixelmagicsystems.com as recommended by Substance. No response (no surprise). I have also sent a message to CWT through their website but won't hold my breath on them providing the info.

I'm not an expert by any means and I don't want to ruin the Crystalio or worse, start a fire. Based on another thread it seems someone was having issues and then a few months later the unit caught fire. I can't knowingly keep this thing plugged in especially considering the tragic fires we're having in California right now.

Kencol in October 2014 (Crystalio power supply died)
Quote:
Hey guys, any ideas on where to source a new PSU for a crystalio 3800? My unit refused to turn on and was totally dead this evening and I'm guessing it's the PSU.

Kencol in August 2015 (Internal Photos of Crystalio II VPS-3800 Pro and VPS-3300)
Quote:
Finally got a hold of a replacement 3800 after mine caught fire!

I know that I need to short the "power on" pin to ground since this unit is "always on" which is part of the problem. I can solder and use a multi-meter but not too much more. I can probably figure out what is what but thought I'd ask here if someone has done it or could provide some useful tips or expertise.

I tried to ask for help/advice on one of the FB groups and got some snarky responses, please just scroll past this thread if that is all you have to contribute, thank you.

Post subject: Re: Crystalio II VPS-3800 Power Supply Replacement
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2020, 19:51 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

If it were a regular 2 or even 3 pin it could easily be figured out with an ohm meter but that 6 I'm out of ideas.

Wish I could help.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2020, 20:11 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

sonicboom wrote:
I know that I need to short the "power on" pin to ground since this unit is "always on" which is part of the problem. I can solder and use a multi-meter but not too much more. I can probably figure out what is what but thought I'd ask here if someone has done it or could provide some useful tips or expertise.

The PC power supply?

Put a switch between black (ground) and green (power on) wires iirc but this is based on old ATX psu's (20 pin plug) I have used in the past...idk if there are any changes with more modern 24 pin plugs but I'm assuming they're the same but with the extra 4 pin plug at one end.
Don't just connect them directly without a switch as the psu will always be powered on. Although I guess you could connect them and always pull the wall socket out (or use a power strip with switches) but I don't like that idea myself.

Why is this unit "always on"?
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Crystalio.

Edit:
If you're uncomfortable soldering etc it is possible to get a ready made switch for the 24pin male plug.
It comes with a 24pin female plug from what I can see, pin plugs other than ground and power on aren't there but you can probably add those into the female plug for the power etc wires you need.
Doing it this way means you will spend some more dollars but if you sort stuff cheap like from aliexpress or a local electronics supplier it shouldn't be much at all just loose change.
Plus side for the inexperienced is simply stripping wires and crimping pin plugs.
To tidy up after doing everything you could use a tiny project box or make one out or something suitable. Then you just have the psu wires running to the box (that has switch installed) and the device cable running the other side.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2020, 18:39 
Serious fan
Serious fan

The Crystalio, by design, is always on. The PS that came with the unit has 6 wires to 6 pins on the logic board. It is a standard mini PC power supply (Flex AT or whatever) with a non-standard connection for the Crystalio. The replacement has 24 wires.

All I need to know is what the Crystalio pinout is so I can make the proper connection. I'll only need 6 of the 24 wires on the new PS. If I had the pinout already I'd be done and watching a movie ;) This is an easy job I just need the specs.

I'm fine with stripping and soldering. I can probably deduce what is being used with the multimeter but would appreciate some help if someone has actually done this work on a Crystalio unit. I'm also thinking that if the original PS is dying/dead that it may not be putting out the proper voltages for me to measure with the meter. Power supplies are not my comfort zone.

You're right that I'd also like to wire up a switch so the PS is not always on but I may just keep this on a separate power strip with a switch because its easier and to keep it un-modified.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. Hopefully someone can share the pinout....thx.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2020, 18:56 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Here are some photos for those playing along at home...
Attachment:
c2cwtps.jpg
c2cwtps.jpg [ 266.93 KiB | Viewed 7860 times ]

Attachment:
c26pin.jpg
c26pin.jpg [ 259.52 KiB | Viewed 7860 times ]

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2020, 18:56 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I would take a look and see if they have the pinout marked on the inside of the power supply or the inside of the VPS-3800. This could be on either side of the boards.

Outside of that, I would trace/map both sides of the connection. There should at least be markings such as "+5V" somewhere inside that you can trace back to a connector pin.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2020, 01:33 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

cplusplus wrote:
I would take a look and see if they have the pinout marked on the inside of the power supply or the inside of the VPS-3800. This could be on either side of the boards.

Outside of that, I would trace/map both sides of the connection. There should at least be markings such as "+5V" somewhere inside that you can trace back to a connector pin.

+1

It could be on the other side that you didn't picture?? since its still screwed down, get a small mirror?

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2020, 18:12 
Serious fan
Serious fan

cplusplus wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion but I've already done that, great minds you know....

The inside of the PS is way cramped and I can only see the 12V and 5V connections but it looks like there are a few things soldered together and that makes me wonder what's going on in there. Could it be that they're deriving the 5v or 3.3v from the 12v? It isn't a simple easy to read board with clearly marked solder points.There aren't 6 labeled connections for 6 pins as I was hoping...

On the VPS mobo there are no markings and I really hesitate to take the main board out (and probably the daughterboard too).

I'll open up the original PS (again) today or tomorrow and take a few photos while I try to measure with a multimeter.

If only there was someone intimately familiar with the VPS series and has an EE background and a specialty with power could chime in...maybe somewhere in Orange County perhaps?

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2020, 23:51 
Serious fan
Serious fan

UPDATE:

Things are not always what they seem. I opened up the original PS again. I'll correct my earlier statement and say the board is somewhat labeled but is cramped and hard to see anything. Plus I'm not a pro so there is that.

Attachment:
PSinside1.jpg
PSinside1.jpg [ 134.6 KiB | Viewed 7830 times ]

Attachment:
PSinside2.jpg
PSinside2.jpg [ 164.41 KiB | Viewed 7830 times ]

Anyway, I tried to trace the wires to their sources and now understand why I was confused before.

For one, there was a ton of brown dookie that was used to hold the wires in place originally. I've heard this can become conductive over time. The 2 black and the yellow seemed to be connected to the same solder point but after meticulously cleaning the dookie away with 99% Alcohol I was able to see they are in fact separate. There were a few capacitors that also had the dookie of death surrounding them and so I cleaned all that away.

Remember how I said Yellow and Black were almost connected via the dookie? I'm guessing that was the main issue but I maintain that I know nothing.

I decided to just put humpty dumpty back together again and install it in the Crystalio and hope it didn't explode.

Prior to all of this my symptoms were a ever present chirp, like maybe from the fan I thought. This thing is always on so maybe the fan chirped and was nearing end of life. I've run it with the top open before and don't notice the fan coming on. So maybe the PS is overheating? Then it randomly powered off during a few movies but would work if I powered it back up until one movie it did it a few times too many and I decided to unplug it and investigate.

Now that I cleaned it all, re-installed it and powered it on......nothing. Well almost. It did power on normally but no input or output. The front panel buttons were also non-responsive. Sh!t.

Power down, check connections and unplug/replug the front panel connector.

Power up and bang, we are back in business! I'm running it with the top off and after about a half and hour I hear a little bit of the same chirping noise and the fan is not spinning at all...still quieter than before. The PS is hot to the touch but that's probably normal. I'm guessing that if it gets too hot it will shut down again. At that point I'll probably put in the replacement I bought.

I'm going to wait and see what happens with this for now but I do have a replacement and now I know what the C2 logic board wants (left to right looking at the mobo from the front):

Blue is -12v / Black are both 0v / Red are both +5v / Yellow is +12v

I really hope this has been or will be helpful to someone in the future. I also really hope the guy who was snarky to me reads this and re-evaluates his style of "helping people". What's the use of posting online so much an being a Laserdisc personality if you are only going to be an elitist jerk when people humbly ask for help? Communities are about supporting people and coming together as a team not joking about people's taste, skill-set or volume of acquired knowledge.

Last edited by sonicboom on 31 Mar 2022, 18:26, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Kevin
LD-S2|CLD-D704|CLD-D406|DVL-V888|LX-900U|Crystalio II|Yamaha APD-1|Sony XBR55X810C

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2020, 01:00 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

That power supply looks like a nightmare on the inside. I know why they put "Do not remove this cover." on the outside. :lol:

I've done a few repairs where the glue had actually started corroding what was underneath it.

Glad to see you got this resolved and thanks for sharing your solution. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2020, 18:50 
Serious fan
Serious fan

UPDATE ON THE UPDATE:

I've been able to get through several movies now with no issues.

The C2 is now on its own power strip meaning it is now off for longer than it is on reducing strain and increasing its useful life. When I switch on the power strip the C2 powers on automagically (since the PS is always on). I power it off normally via remote then flip the power strip off. Easy. Now, if I watch 1 movie per day there is only 2 hours of use vs 24/7. I think that is a huge improvement considering there are times when I don't spin up a LD for several days. In that scenario I'm just wasting power and increasing the MTBF.

I could not be happier with this now.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2020, 12:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

sonicboom wrote:
UPDATE ON THE UPDATE:

I've been able to get through several movies now with no issues.

The C2 is now on its own power strip meaning it is now off for longer than it is on reducing strain and increasing its useful life. When I switch on the power strip the C2 powers on automagically (since the PS is always on). I power it off normally via remote then flip the power strip off. Easy. Now, if I watch 1 movie per day there is only 2 hours of use vs 24/7. I think that is a huge improvement considering there are times when I don't spin up a LD for several days. In that scenario I'm just wasting power and increasing the MTBF.

I could not be happier with this now.

Not sure if this helps you out, but I am doing something similar with my DVDO VP50 Pro. The PSU makes a bit of a whining noise after a few minutes and the DVDO unit itself can get a bit warm. What I've done is connected it to a smart plug (TP-Link Kasa HS100 connected to a Harmony Hub and also Samsung SmartThings). I done the same with my Yamaha APD-2 as well because it's connected to a step-down plug thing.

So now when I start a Laserdisc activity, I can power on the DVDO and APD-2, have them running while watching a Laserdisc, then switch them off when I turn off the activity. Saves me having to get behind the TV unit and unplug both devices to bring them out of standby and getting molten hot.

Next step is to find a new DVDO PSU, but I hear the eBay ones are not great for use and suffer early deaths?

Sorry to derail your thread slightly.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2020, 16:15 
Serious fan
Serious fan

teddanson wrote:

Next step is to find a new DVDO PSU, but I hear the eBay ones are not great for use and suffer early deaths?

That's correct the ones online are generally garbage. Sinpro was the one included with the DVDO. Astrodyne TDI makes the exact same OEM part. I bought one and can confirm it is 100% what you want. You need to call Britney:)

DVDO VP50 Pro problem

Scroll down to the last post by me.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2020, 17:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Ah feck. USA-only? That's gonna come with Heartbreak Tax. :cry:

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2020, 17:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

teddanson wrote:
Ah feck. USA-only? That's gonna come with Heartbreak Tax. :cry:

Don't forget that tax is from your country, you pay for that free whatever they offer.......

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2020, 19:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I was on about the shipping costs. But yep, import duty too. :lol:

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2020, 16:17 
True fan
True fan

This is a super helpful thread, and I see myself coming back some day. Thanx alot for all the details and the pics.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2022, 11:52 
True fan
True fan

So, now I´m back, 22 months later. The power supply of my Crystalio II VPS-3800 seems to be dead. It started about a year ago, when the build-in hard drive tried to start spinning until the whole unit froze. I then unplugged the harddrive and this worked for about a half a year. Now ,after powering it up (which takes longer than usual) it does not show any video inputs, meaning, all the inputs are not working, wether it be Composite or HDMI. I can see the menu, but that also shuts down after a while.
So my best guess is a failing ps. I read online, that any ATX Flex power supply will do so, which leads me to my next problem. It seems that the previous owner already switched the psu as the CWT ( which sonicboom had build in) is not used in my version of the Crystalio. I have a Mean Well D-60 A build in. It has a passive cooling and there is even a fan installed on the outside of the case, getting it´s power from the psu - but the fan was also already dead. I´m really not sure if this was made by Crystalio or homemade. There are 5 wires coming from the Mean Well PSU ( 1 Yellow 12 V, 2 Red +5V, and two black from a COM Port on the PSU - I guess those are 0 V?). Now, the blue wire com is cut off and sealed, meaning, there are only 5 wires going to the mainboard. Does anyone have an idea why the blue one is not connected ?
I have ordered now a FSP180-50LE https://www.conrad.com/p/fsp-fortron-fsp180-50le-industrial-pc-psu-180-w-80-plus-975245: My question is, can I use any of the outgoing wires (20 pin or molex)to power the motherboard as long as the voltage (12 V /5 V)0V) is right ?
I hope I was able to make myself understandable, any help is appreciated!

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2022, 14:16 
True fan
True fan

Quick update: I changed the old psu with the new one, using only 5 pins (1 x +12 yellow, 2 x +5 red, 2 x black 0V) from the psu. I just had to short circuit the psu with green and black, so it starts. My problem is now, that the psu is constantly ON now. Does anyone know if there is a hack to this ? I want to shut it down when the power off button is pressed. Well, the unit powers down, but not the psu.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2022, 14:56 
Serious fan
Serious fan

exinferis wrote:
Quick update: I changed the old psu with the new one, using only 5 pins (1 x +12 yellow, 2 x +5 red, 2 x black 0V) from the psu. I just had to short circuit the psu with green and black, so it starts. My problem is now, that the psu is constantly ON now. Does anyone know if there is a hack to this ? I want to shut it down when the power off button is pressed. Well, the unit powers down, but not the psu.

I'm glad you got it going again. I took the hard drive out of mine. It draws a lot of power and is noisy. Use a power strip/surge protector to turn off the C2 all the way.

Mine also came with a fan installed on the left side of the case. I removed it and there is a big hole in the side now.

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next