It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 03:50

Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer Japan LD Player Servicing ending 2020/09/30
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2020, 22:29 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

xtempo wrote:
isn't more cost effective to keep the inventory and sell it or pay the government and whoever else to get rid of it?

In Japan they stick to company policies.

But even in the west you'll see companies and even individuals dumping all kinds of crap because they don't want to basically give it away for next to nothing and then have other people profit from it.

I've personally seen plenty of examples, probably not NOS examples I can think of right now... but here's something that is burnt into my mind from years ago:

Local council impounds cars abandoned or whatever.
They have auctions every year to clear out impound yard.

One time I went and had a look as I was told there was a 1970's Fiat there, in bad shape and missing some bits but probably still ok for some parts. At the time I had a 1971 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe and plenty of mechanical parts would've been useful (although maybe some stuff would've been too worn, but whatever). The engine block was the same family but different capacity, gearbox could be used but was only 4 speed... other stuff etc.

Anyway, nobody was interested in the car. No bids. It couldn't be driven on a permit.

I offered to pay $100aud cash for it, my offer was simply refused no reason given and no indication of what minimum they would take for it.
Thing is, at that time back then, it would cost them fuel to put it on a council truck, take it to the crusher and then maybe get like $20 scrap for it. So maybe they would make some pocket change but not much.

So that's what happened. Instead of taking my $100 and me moving it myself they just bloody trashed it.
I could've gone a little higher but I was really offended that there wasn't any haggling at all. I wasn't given any idea how much they wanted :crazy:

Post subject: Re: Pioneer Japan LD Player Servicing ending 2020/09/30
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2020, 14:01 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

deadlegion wrote:
xtempo wrote:
isn't more cost effective to keep the inventory and sell it or pay the government and whoever else to get rid of it?

In Japan they stick to company policies.

But even in the west you'll see companies and even individuals dumping all kinds of crap because they don't want to basically give it away for next to nothing and then have other people profit from it.

I've personally seen plenty of examples, probably not NOS examples I can think of right now... but here's something that is burnt into my mind from years ago:

Local council impounds cars abandoned or whatever.
They have auctions every year to clear out impound yard.

One time I went and had a look as I was told there was a 1970's Fiat there, in bad shape and missing some bits but probably still ok for some parts. At the time I had a 1971 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe and plenty of mechanical parts would've been useful (although maybe some stuff would've been too worn, but whatever). The engine block was the same family but different capacity, gearbox could be used but was only 4 speed... other stuff etc.

Anyway, nobody was interested in the car. No bids. It couldn't be driven on a permit.

I offered to pay $100aud cash for it, my offer was simply refused no reason given and no indication of what minimum they would take for it.
Thing is, at that time back then, it would cost them fuel to put it on a council truck, take it to the crusher and then maybe get like $20 scrap for it. So maybe they would make some pocket change but not much.

So that's what happened. Instead of taking my $100 and me moving it myself they just bloody trashed it.
I could've gone a little higher but I was really offended that there wasn't any haggling at all. I wasn't given any idea how much they wanted :crazy:

That kind of thing happens alot & it really sucks.

So much stuff lost for the most puerile of reasons & I do mean puerile - really sad.

Keep smiling folks :thumbup: .

Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4