It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 22:08

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Picture problem with Onkyo Pioneer clone...
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2012, 12:46 
Serious fan
Serious fan

My recently purchased Onkyo DX-V500 is displaying a strange picture problem. I see very thin rolling lines going from top to bottom when playing a disc. The player supports CLV trick play and when paused, the lines freeze with the image. It's usually visible over dark colours/shades such as black/dark green etc. I'm using the composite output; would s-video make a difference?

Any idea what could be causing this? As mentioned in another thread, the player sometimes show a U1 error (approx once every 30 plays or so). The laser seems to be very good though as it plays CD very well and has no problem when tracking to a chapter or fast forwarding.

Apologies for the slightly crappy video, but you can see that the blacks are not solid and are rolling a bit. It is particularly noticeable at the 00:14 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLswlCO7ELM

Additionally the GUI shakes when a disc is first being read but is fine again once it's playing. Any ideas?

ps. does anyone know which Pioneer model the DX-V500 is a clone of?

Post subject: Re: Picture problem with Onkyo Pioneer clone...
PostPosted: 22 Mar 2012, 14:10 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Finally watched the video. Since you are in Honk Kong I cannot be certain if this is an issue or just part of your setup. The only thing I've ever seen causing continuous rolling patterns in a complete analog setup in the US is a faulty power supply but it was worse than what you are seeing. I'm wondering it this is a grounding or conversion timing issue.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2012, 15:55 
Serious fan
Serious fan

krbahr wrote:
Finally watched the video. Since you are in Honk Kong I cannot be certain if this is an issue or just part of your setup. The only thing I've ever seen causing continuous rolling patterns in a complete analog setup in the US is a faulty power supply but it was worse than what you are seeing. I'm wondering it this is a grounding or conversion timing issue.

Thanks for looking. It's certainly strange and it improves if I fiddle with the contrast/brightness on my TV. I'm assuming it's probably the latter of your suggestions. Is there any way I can fix this? Will turning any of the adjustment dials inside do anything?

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2012, 22:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If it is the power supply you would have to open the unit and carefully monitor the DC output levels from the supply and look for continual fluttering or jitter on the DC voltage level.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]