It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:18

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: TV calibration
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2021, 21:55 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Hi all!

Managed to find myself going down another little rabbit hole. I stumbled upon this thing that surprisingly I hadn't heard of before (or if I had, I hadn't realised the significance of) - of NTSC-U having a different black level to PAL and NTSC-J. This could explain confusing issues I've had in the past where I've calibrated the TV "by eye" to look OK with one disc, then suddenly with another it looks either too washed out or too dark.

Presumably this means I really need two calibrations on my TV - one to IRE 0 black for Japanese and European discs, and one to IRE 7.5 black for American discs? Will the Video Essentials disc recommended by so many allow me to do both or would I need some other disc to handle the IRE 0 black level?

If I'm using my LCD I think I should be able to save two custom presets to be able to do this. However I'm also wondering about older devices - I have a lovely Sony PVM CRT as well. Is it just a case of altering the brightness and contrast controls manually whenever I want to switch between American and non-American discs? I'm guessing it would come out of the box calibrated for one or the other (being a professional monitor after all)?

Post subject: Re: TV calibration
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2021, 22:51 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I’m a bit of a slob...but I never bother to consider this.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2021, 23:00 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

muzer wrote:
Will the Video Essentials disc recommended by so many allow me to do both or would I need some other disc to handle the IRE 0 black level?

Not as part of the guided adjustments. Might be a still frame in there though.

For IRE 0 couldn't you just match letterbox bars to side bars when not zoomed in on your LCD?

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2021, 23:22 
Serious fan
Serious fan

cplusplus wrote:
muzer wrote:
Will the Video Essentials disc recommended by so many allow me to do both or would I need some other disc to handle the IRE 0 black level?

For IRE 0 couldn't you just match letterbox bars to side bars when not zoomed in on your LCD?

I was under the impression it was important to calibrate both the brightness and the contrast at the same time; I have dim memories in the past of adjusting things so that two coloured blocks looked the same or something? Though I suppose this would work in a pinch at least! Since I'd expect the letterbox bars on a US title to be at 7.5 (are they?) this would presumably work for that as well?

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2021, 23:59 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

cplusplus wrote:
muzer wrote:

IIRC the JP version of VE is mastered for Japan and the US one for the US. So to hit each level, you could buy both discs I guess.

There is more a variation between discs than there is between the two regions though, it’s LD, so like I said I never bother with it. I guess if you only play titles released after the digital mastering period it may work out for you better.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]