It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:42

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Skipping problems
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2021, 05:22 
Honest fan
Honest fan

This concerns me, but does the skipping problem spread from one player to another? When I tried playing "At Home with Donald Duck" on the DVL-700, it started skipping on side B. And now, when I played it on the recently-ordered CLD-D604, it started skipping on side A.

I don't know how to say this but every LD player I buy, it turns out not being the way I expect them. It's so hard to find the source of this stupid skipping problem!

Post subject: Re: Skipping problems
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2021, 06:44 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

lonerangerface wrote:
This concerns me, but does the skipping problem spread from one player to another?

Simple answer.... no.

However, it's possible that the disc you have might have a pressing defect that can act up differently on different players. I just purchased a copy of "Into The Woods" and so far the one player I tried it on has the tendency to skip and distort the picture in the first 3 min or so but after I reload it I will sometimes get perfect playback. I'm sure if I try this disc on a different player it may play perfectly on it (which I will test tomorrow).

lonerangerface wrote:
I don't know how to say this but every LD player I buy, it turns out not being the way I expect them. It's so hard to find the source of this stupid skipping problem!

Just remember, you are buying something that is "old". One must expect that a machine that is 20 to 30 years old has a very high possibility of needing a tune-up. How does the player handle CD and LD playback on other discs in your collection?

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2021, 15:58 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Your skipping problems are probably shipping problems.

M-Holder might be broken on the CLD-D604.

Side B centering on your DVL is probably ever so slightly off. Skipping around first few minutes? Can fix with screwdriver and patience.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2021, 16:47 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

lonerangerface wrote:
This concerns me, but does the skipping problem spread from one player to another? When I tried playing "At Home with Donald Duck" on the DVL-700, it started skipping on side B. And now, when I played it on the recently-ordered CLD-D604, it started skipping on side A.

You’re buying 40 year old stuff. Don’t expect it to work like it’s brand new. This is real life, not a YouTube video.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2021, 17:01 
Honest fan
Honest fan

cplusplus wrote:
Your skipping problems are probably shipping problems.

M-Holder might be broken on the CLD-D604.

What does the M-Holder (VNL1637) have to do with skipping? Why don't I ever see them on eBay anymore?

Then again, I was probably thinking they should have just added a lot more protection before shipping the players to me.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2021, 18:37 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

lonerangerface wrote:
What does the M-Holder (VNL1637) have to do with skipping? Why don't I ever see them on eBay anymore?

M-Holder holds the gears that move the optics along the track.

NOS M-Holders are incredibly rare and not worth buying unless VNL1779. You can verify if this is indeed broken and the cause of skipping on your CLD-D604. Help is on the way. 3D printed M-Holder betas are making their way around and should be available for sale soon.

Personally, I don't even think a double boxed VNL1637 would survive shipping...

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2021, 21:20 
Honest fan
Honest fan

cplusplus wrote:
lonerangerface wrote:

M-Holder holds the gears that move the optics along the track.

NOS M-Holders are incredibly rare and not worth buying unless VNL1779. You can verify if this is indeed broken and the cause of skipping on your CLD-D604. Help is on the way. 3D printed M-Holder betas are making their way around and should be available for sale soon.

Personally, I don't even think a double boxed VNL1637 would survive shipping...

I guess so... Where the heck can I even buy those 3D-printed M-Holders? How would they even fit in the CLD-D604?
Just look at section 2.7: https://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pioneer/CLD/CLD-D780/CLD-D780-EN_Service_Manual_Scan.pdf

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2021, 00:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

lonerangerface wrote:
Where the heck can I even buy those 3D-printed M-Holders? How would they even fit in the CLD-D604?

I'm sure he will post here when they are for sale. You just turn worm gear to move carriage closer to spindle, remove four tiny screws and that is it. Still tedious but not as bad as some other tasks.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2021, 15:30 
Honest fan
Honest fan

ldfan wrote:
lonerangerface wrote:
This concerns me, but does the skipping problem spread from one player to another?

Simple answer.... no.

However, it's possible that the disc you have might have a pressing defect that can act up differently on different players. I just purchased a copy of "Into The Woods" and so far the one player I tried it on has the tendency to skip and distort the picture in the first 3 min or so but after I reload it I will sometimes get perfect playback. I'm sure if I try this disc on a different player it may play perfectly on it (which I will test tomorrow).

lonerangerface wrote:

Just remember, you are buying something that is "old". One must expect that a machine that is 20 to 30 years old has a very high possibility of needing a tune-up. How does the player handle CD and LD playback on other discs in your collection?

So, did you test your "Into the Woods" on a different? Did it play perfectly? What LD units do you have that you played it?

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2021, 22:08 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

lonerangerface wrote:
So, did you test your "Into the Woods" on a different? Did it play perfectly? What LD units do you have that you played it?

I just ran the test and found the following...

Pioneer CLD-3030: the unit did initially have an issue getting the disc spun up so I had to eject and made a 2nd attempt and then it played perfectly. This is actually pretty normal for this player when trying to playback an Image Entertainment title as they had some compatibility issues back in the late 80’s.

Pioneer CLD-D701: no issues at all.

Pioneer CLD-M90: no issues at all.

The more I think about it now, my ProScan unit probably needs a focus adjustment as I recall it does have a minor issue with laser lock on one of my CAV discs. I’ll get started on tweeking it soon when I move the M90 into my set-up.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2021, 02:14 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The early Magnavox and Philips players actually recalled their players around 1986 or 1987 CDV-488, CDV-485, etc. not sure the exact year, from dealers and installed an updated chip they used from Pioneer due to those image laserdiscs read issues. The players that were updated had a blue dot on the box. You had to depend on the dealer to let you know about this, was not a public recall.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2021, 02:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Interesting. Are they all 3M?

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2021, 03:02 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

krbahr wrote:
The early Magnavox and Philips players actually recalled their players around 1986 or 1987 CDV-488, CDV-485, etc. not sure the exact year, from dealers and installed an updated chip they used from Pioneer due to those image laserdiscs read issues. The players that were updated had a blue dot on the box. You had to depend on the dealer to let you know about this, was not a public recall.

That is what I thought too. I guess I missed my chance to get that bug fixed and now I have to live with it. Any idea what chip it was that needed new firmware? :eh:

cplusplus wrote:
Interesting. Are they all 3M?

Yeah. I recall that every disc I had issues were always the Image titles but it did affect other production companies as they would sometimes have 3M press their titles for them. I think my Fantasia CAV edition has the same problem spinning up.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2021, 07:08 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The dealer told me about it when he verified my CDV-488 had the blue dot on the box, he was not technical so he didn’t know which chip.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2021, 18:09 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I probably would not have gotten it around to a shop to have it worked on. However, it's good to know the problem was known. It overall doesn't bother me too much since it only affects about (what I assume) might be about two years worth of pressings since all later releases never gave me any issues. Also, all my players after the CLD-3030 play through these titles fine

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]