It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:23

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: OPEN SOURCE VNL1779 NOW AVAILABLE  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2021, 03:18 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hey everyone. I came across a CLD-505 at a Goodwill for $19.99, took her home and found a broken M Mount inside. I did research looking for replacements and of course discovered they were no longer being produced. I then searched for files to 3D print a new one and found that others were working on them, but not much progress or public releases. So I started trying to create my own in the last 2 weeks and have successfully created a working prototype. It's by no means perfect and could probably still use some tweaking, which is why I am fully releasing not only .STL files, but also model files in Fusion 360 and .STEP format for others to tweak the design themselves. I've released the files to the public domain without any restrictions.

You can find the files on my Thingiverse page here : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4839120

Also available at Prusa Printers : https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/64 ... 79-m-mount

I've modified the design of the original to accept metal shafts which can be found on Amazon.
The smaller of the 2 gears has a 2mm inner diameter for the shafts, and the larger gear is 2.5mm.

2.0mm : https://amzn.to/3gHEyPg
2.5mm : https://amzn.to/3eAsixz

This is more of a DIY solution. You must be willing to tinker around and assemble the part. It's working for me, but YMMV.

Hope this helps!

Attachments:
vnl1779.jpg
vnl1779.jpg [ 204.45 KiB | Viewed 1732 times ]
vnl1779-1.jpg
vnl1779-1.jpg [ 437.4 KiB | Viewed 1732 times ]
vnl1779-3.jpg
vnl1779-3.jpg [ 405.1 KiB | Viewed 1732 times ]
vnl1779-4.jpg
vnl1779-4.jpg [ 492.85 KiB | Viewed 1732 times ]

Post subject: Re: OPEN SOURCE VNL1779 NOW AVAILABLE
PostPosted: 03 May 2021, 00:21 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Great project. I'm so glad you posted it! I've never done any 3D printing before, and I don't have my own 3D printer. I'm looking at getting one printed from an online service. Do you have any recommendations for a total beginner? What material should I use. Are there any gotchas to look out for?

PostPosted: 11 May 2021, 18:08 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I got some printed in resin. The fit was a bit tricky but I got it working last night! My broken CLD-D504 is now working.

Any tips on how to precisely cut the metal shafts?

Thanks for your work!

PostPosted: 11 May 2021, 19:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I'm guess use a dremel or some jewelers files and work by hand?

PostPosted: 13 May 2021, 07:31 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I filed down the shafts, and it fits fairly well now. It will slide into the white guide that flips the laser over. However when trying to flip, my CLD-D504 gets stuck.

I figured it’s still getting stuck on the guide shaft part of the M-Holder, so I filed it down further, but it still gets stuck.

It seems to be sticking when transitioning from the metal guide, to the black plastic guide. At this point, the assembly drops slightly, and stops (while the cogs grind).

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: 14 May 2021, 10:00 
Third post and above
Third post and above

deckard wrote:
Great project. I'm so glad you posted it! I've never done any 3D printing before, and I don't have my own 3D printer. I'm looking at getting one printed from an online service. Do you have any recommendations for a total beginner? What material should I use. Are there any gotchas to look out for?

I personally use a Prusa MK3S and printed mine out of PETG plastic. PLA should also work, but PETG is a bit stronger and can withstand higher temperatures.

deckard wrote:
I got some printed in resin. The fit was a bit tricky but I got it working last night! My broken CLD-D504 is now working.

Any tips on how to precisely cut the metal shafts?

Thanks for your work!

Thats really cool that you got some printed! Please share some pics if you can. For the metal shafts, I screwed the 3d printed piece onto the laser assembly and then slid the rods in till they sat perfectly in the channels of the laser assembly, then marked a line on the shafts where they'd be flush with the outside of the 3d printed part. Then just slide them out and then cut them with a dremel.

deckard wrote:
I filed down the shafts, and it fits fairly well now. It will slide into the white guide that flips the laser over. However when trying to flip, my CLD-D504 gets stuck.

I figured it’s still getting stuck on the guide shaft part of the M-Holder, so I filed it down further, but it still gets stuck.

It seems to be sticking when transitioning from the metal guide, to the black plastic guide. At this point, the assembly drops slightly, and stops (while the cogs grind).

Any suggestions?

My player also gets stuck when trying to flip over to side B, however I think there may be some other problems with my player causing this that I haven't had the time to look into. For now I am just happy that my player is working and I just manually flip it until I can sort it out. Thank you for using my creation and I'm glad you got it going!

PostPosted: 18 May 2021, 17:34 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I'm afraid I don't have a picture to hand, but I'll take one next time I open up the machine. I ended up buying some mini bolt cutters, then filing down which worked well.

I also found that I couldn't play side B, but side A works fine. Meanwhile I also resurrected my main player (which had a dead pickup). A good weekend!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]