It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:11

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Handling Remote Control Corrosion
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2021, 15:22 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I get remotes a lot with batteries probably left in them from the 90s. A lot of times the batteries will leak or rust. The leakage can be neutralized with vinegar and the rust can either removed by hand or electrolysis.

Unless the leakage is very light, it has usually seeped onto the board of the remote, so it is good to open it up to properly handle it. I find a guitar pick or credit card works well at opening these remotes.

Attached are photos of two recent remotes, with the first being a backlit remote and the second a newer CLD-D504+ remote (these are a little harder to open).
Attachment:
Remote_1.jpg
Remote_1.jpg [ 222.05 KiB | Viewed 514 times ]

Attachment:
Remote_2.jpg
Remote_2.jpg [ 304.81 KiB | Viewed 514 times ]

Post subject: Re: Handling Remote Control Corrosion
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2021, 17:17 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I've seen the baking soda paste way to fix. Put it on and then clean it off.

Haven't had this bad but I did have an electronic chess set with the same problem, I never took it fully apart and the acid was eating again
so I took it apart and actually replaced the tabs with new ones after cleaning the plastic and all.

If one can its great to clean but you can get those tabs easily on ebay cheap so we do have that option for some repairs.

But always good to see your posts C, its a shame that others can't rightly figure these things out.
I remember a post from a few years ago where the question was which screw to remove first when taking of the top of an LD player......

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]