It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 10:58

Page 3 of 4 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: CLD-R7G disassembly and repair
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2021, 06:48 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

cplusplus wrote:
Side A rail is probably not perfectly straight.

It seems to be true. The laser unit cannot even switch to side B. It seems the gear cannot catch on the rails and starts to spin and I hear that terrible sound that I was talking about. It looks like the rod is set slightly higher than required. I will try to fix it.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2021, 20:17 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hello everyone, rather than creating a new thread I figured I would ask for advice here as I too just purchased an R7G from an eBay seller that listed it as "fully functional." Sometimes during playback the player will make a short "knock" or "grinding" noise (< 1 second). At first I thought it was a disc issue but it seems to do it at random with any disc and is not repeatable so I am not really able to make a recording. Image output seems fine. Should I be concerned? Does the player perhaps need lubrication or a replacement belt? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I have attached a short video. The same noise can be heard when I start up a disc. Hopefully you can hear what I'm talking about.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2021, 23:10 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

necronomikoi wrote:
Hopefully you can hear what I'm talking about.

The sort of creaking noise at around 6 seconds?

Sounds like something related to tilt. Doesn't sound too alarming. Can clean and re-grease tilt cam. If sound is still there, could be related to how the mechanism tilts against the base. There are springs under it, but you can't look at them without removing it.

LD players do not ship well at all.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2021, 23:46 
Third post and above
Third post and above

cplusplus wrote:
necronomikoi wrote:

Sounds like something related to tilt. Doesn't sound too alarming. Can clean and re-grease tilt cam. If sound is still there, could be related to how the mechanism tilts against the base. There are springs under it, but you can't look at them without removing it.

Yes, that's the noise. I don't mind opening it to apply some lubrication--I have some white lithium grease which I hope is suitable for this. Do you have an image of a tilt cam in a comparable player just so I know exactly what to look for?

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2021, 01:28 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

necronomikoi wrote:
Do you have an image of a tilt cam in a comparable player just so I know exactly what to look for?

Attachment:
Tilt_Cam.jpg
Tilt_Cam.jpg [ 32.59 KiB | Viewed 1981 times ]

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2021, 09:31 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

There is progress.

I removed the excess glue with a polishing machine. I also ran my finger along the rails and noticed that there is grease there. Possibly due to the lubrication there was poor adhesion. I wiped the rails and laser gear with isopropyl alcohol.

I started by checking side B. This time the laser switched to side B without any problems. I switched chapters and watched for a few minutes, there was no problem. The problem arose in the last chapter. A segment of the video is looped. Approximately 10-20 seconds. Could it be due to a dirty disc? I also noticed that the disc is not perfectly flat, but all discs seem to be like that. I also noticed that the disc has several longitudinal scratches towards the edge. The scratches weren't deep, but maybe that could have affected?

I rubbed the disc and started checking side A. Again I saw the colored stripes on the fifth chapter. I was already upset, but there were no problems with the subsequent chapters. Even in the last chapter there were no problems like on the B side.

Regarding the colored stripes in Chapter 5: I noticed that the tray leaves greasy marks on the disc. These are where the soft disc pads are. I wiped the tray completely with isopropyl alcohol, but it didn't help. Is it possible that color stripes appear due to these spots on the disc? Any ideas on how to clean these soft pads? Perhaps the coasters should be removed altogether? It seems to be difficult to find replacements quickly.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2021, 13:26 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

jefix wrote:
Could it be due to a dirty disc? I also noticed that the disc is not perfectly flat, but all discs seem to be like that. I also noticed that the disc has several longitudinal scratches towards the edge. The scratches weren't deep, but maybe that could have affected?

Yes to all, its hard to tell without seeing the scratches, the disc should be flat, it depends on how much of a warp there is.
Not all discs are perfectly flat and this is why the player has adjustments for this but if you fix for this disc it will make others off, so
try not to adjust until you make sure you have everything else working on the player or you could damage the laser.

How many discs do you own??? Does this happen with all discs or just this one?
Get the mechanical stuff done first then work on adjustments when you get more discs.
I used to own one of these and they are not that picky and played everything easily that I had other than some early discovision discs.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2021, 14:05 
Third post and above
Third post and above

necronomikoi wrote:
cplusplus wrote:
necronomikoi wrote:

Yes, that's the noise. I don't mind opening it to apply some lubrication--I have some white lithium grease which I hope is suitable for this. Do you have an image of a tilt cam in a comparable player just so I know exactly what to look for?

Just wanted to update to let you know that you were spot on with your diagnosis. I opened up the player and quickly located the cam in question. It had a generous amount of grease on it but when I tested its movement I noticed that it would get stuck when rotated. I stripped it with iso and applied a slathering of fresh lithium grease, and I am happy to report that the noise has completely vanished! This player is whisper quiet now (or at least as quiet as a laserdisc player can be expected). Thanks so much for your advice! :thumbup:

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2021, 15:07 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jefix wrote:
The problem arose in the last chapter. A segment of the video is looped. Approximately 10-20 seconds. Could it be due to a dirty disc? I also noticed that the disc is not perfectly flat, but all discs seem to be like that. I also noticed that the disc has several longitudinal scratches towards the edge. The scratches weren't deep, but maybe that could have affected?

This technology is surprisingly tough. Light fingerprints and scratches don't matter much other than maybe a split second dropout on screen. Warp is much worse. No laserdisc is perfectly flat, so the focus servo is there to keep the distance between lens and disc constant. If you lay the disc flat and there is any part not touching whatever you are laying it on, it is warped.

The issue you are describing is more likely Side B centering (especially since the unit was knocked hard enough to break Side A rail). Black screw in attached image is locking screw. White "screw" is the actual adjustment. If you have an oscilloscope: put in test mode, start Side B playback, turn tilt on, tracking off, observe tracking error waveform. Adjust until it is like a fat, even log. If no scope, disregard all of the previous sentence and trial and error where it was skipping. When done, apply some sort of locking compound (not glue). Cheap fingernail polish works great.

jefix wrote:
I rubbed the disc and started checking side A. Again I saw the colored stripes on the fifth chapter.

Does pressing down ever so slightly (do not crash the lens into the disc) on the back of the mech make them go away?

jefix wrote:
Any ideas on how to clean these soft pads? Perhaps the coasters should be removed altogether?

I wouldn't worry about it.

Attachments:
Side_B_Centering.jpg
Side_B_Centering.jpg [ 13.64 KiB | Viewed 1942 times ]

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2021, 16:20 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

rein-o wrote:
How many discs do you own??? Does this happen with all discs or just this one?

I now have about 15 discs. For testing, I use two of the cheapest disks I have. One of them (single) works without problems. Tomorrow I plan to test the player with a different disc. But first I need to work with the tray.

Quote:
this is why the player has adjustments for this

Is there a guide? I won't do this now, just curious.

Quote:
If you have an oscilloscope: put in test mode, start Side B playback, turn tilt on, tracking off, observe tracking error waveform. Adjust until it is like a fat, even log. If no scope, disregard all of the previous sentence and trial and error where it was skipping. When done, apply some sort of locking compound (not glue). Cheap fingernail polish works great.

Unfortunately I don't have an oscilloscope. I'll try to ask my friends. Only I did not understand where I should connect it.

Quote:
Does pressing down ever so slightly (do not crash the lens into the disc) on the back of the mech make them go away?

I will try. Do you mean push down on the rails? I didn't quite get it.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2021, 16:38 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

By the way, I don’t know if this decision was correct, but I bought a donor. The seller writes that disc playback works, but the tray does not always open. (belt?)
The player may be fully functional. It will be funny if I can completely fix the current player and the new player will work as well.
In any case, the price is not high.

Attachments:
r7g.png
r7g.png [ 221.69 KiB | Viewed 1932 times ]

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2021, 19:17 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I'd also like to piggyback jefix's query into the belts for this player. I would like to purchase a backup belt for mine. The belt in mine looks to be in good condition so I am going to leave it be but I would like to know which belt is the most suitable replacement for an R7G. All the available belts sold on eBay do not list R7G in the list of compatible models, so which would be the closest? The "VEB1184?"

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2021, 20:28 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I do hope people aren't going to buy these and cannibalize them, these are really nice players and don't deserve this type of abuse.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2021, 20:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

That's a model with a built-in LD+G decoder isn't it? Wouldn't mind owning one of those myself.

rein-o wrote:
I do hope people aren't going to buy these and cannibalize them, these are really nice players and don't deserve this type of abuse.

Also seconding this.

I hope that second machine can be fixed with a simple belt swap, then you can adopt that as your player and put the broken one in the proverbial backburner.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2021, 00:31 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jefix wrote:
Quote:
this is why the player has adjustments for this

Is there a guide? I won't do this now, just curious.

Yes, the service manual will cover it.

jefix wrote:
Unfortunately I don't have an oscilloscope. I'll try to ask my friends. Only I did not understand where I should connect it.

Tracking error.

jefix wrote:
Quote:

I will try. Do you mean push down on the rails? I didn't quite get it.

The back of the mechanism that sticks out of the back of the unit.

necronomikoi wrote:
All the available belts sold on eBay do not list R7G in the list of compatible models, so which would be the closest? The "VEB1184?"

Should work.

takeshi666 wrote:
rein-o wrote:

Also seconding this.

I hope that second machine can be fixed with a simple belt swap, then you can adopt that as your player and put the broken one in the proverbial backburner.

Yeah after the rail snaps off like this, it is very difficult to repair. The rail attaches to the plastic of the mechanism base, so just about the entire mechanism needs to be swapped. On the other hand, CLD-R7G shares same mechanism with a ton of cheap players.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2021, 01:50 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

cplusplus wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:
rein-o wrote:

Also seconding this.

Yeah after the rail snaps off like this, it is very difficult to repair. The rail attaches to the plastic of the mechanism base, so just about the entire mechanism needs to be swapped. On the other hand, CLD-R7G shares same mechanism with a ton of cheap players.

Yes and I would much rather see people picking up 503s or whatever other player you can cannibalize than doing it to the R7Gs.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2021, 04:36 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rein-o wrote:
Yes and I would much rather see people picking up 503s or whatever other player you can cannibalize than doing it to the R7Gs.

For US, CLD-D504/CLD-D505 good candidates. EU CLD-D515. More is shared across them than not.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2021, 13:37 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I don't know what happened, but side A worked fine today.

Side B also loops the video on the last chapter. It happens all the time in different places, once I was even able to see the credits. I asked my employer to buy me an oscilloscope, it seems he doesn't mind.

I noticed a terrible thing. The ribbon cable touches the disc a little and leaves ugly scratches.
https://disk.yandex.ru/i/4leSpouhNNpxog
https://disk.yandex.ru/i/T4okyw2YEKh-EA
Scratches don't seem to affect playback, but it looks awful. Do you have any recommendations on how to fit it correctly? I tried to bend it at different angles, but it works until I switch to side B.
You may also notice traces of soft pads on the disc. These stains are difficult to rub off. I temporarily sealed them with transparent tape. It worked great.

I filmed the disc spinning. Is this disc considered crooked or is this normal?
https://disk.yandex.ru/i/et5aQSK_5LgIKw

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2021, 16:57 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

C++, should I connect to these points?
Unfortunately, I do not have a service remote. Can you please tell me what buttons are needed for the test mode?
I found these codes: http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/co ... cld-v2600/
I know that at least the ESC and TEST buttons are needed. What buttons do I need to navigate the menu? I cannot load all codes because my microcontroller has limited memory.

Attachments:
board.png
board.png [ 349.19 KiB | Viewed 1851 times ]

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2021, 01:01 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jefix wrote:
Do you have any recommendations on how to fit it correctly?

There is a metal clip that holds the ribbon in place.

jefix wrote:
I filmed the disc spinning. Is this disc considered crooked or is this normal?
https://disk.yandex.ru/i/et5aQSK_5LgIKw

That is too much wobble. Could be the cause of your problems. Make sure PRC Hub isn't broken (do not try to take it off or you will break it). https://www.ebay.com/itm/174724518515

Otherwise, something is bent or the disc is warped.

jefix wrote:
C++, should I connect to these points?

Yes but fix the wobble first.

jefix wrote:
Unfortunately, I do not have a service remote. Can you please tell me what buttons are needed for the test mode?

Don't need one. You can jump it into test mode on the main board, but if you can load TEST and ESC on your remote go that route. After that, Play key on front turns tracking on/off.

Page 3 of 4 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next