It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:48

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: [LD-S9] Powers on but no activity on open/close (error E3)
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2021, 00:23 
Third post and above
Third post and above

My LD-S9 worked perfectly when I last used it, but it's been sitting on the rack unplugged for a view years. When I powered it back up the other other day, it seems to power on fine - the front panel shows the expected information. However, attempting to open or close gives an E3 error and does absolutely nothing. No noises, no activity, nothing. I opened it up and as expected everything appears to be pristine - no exploded or (obviously) leaking caps, no disconnected or broken cables, etc.

It wouldn't surprise me if something was frozen or stuck after that length of time, but seems like nothing is even activating at all. The laser assembly moves freely when I turn the gears, but I honestly can't locate the mechanism to move the tray even after lifting up the A/V board.

Any ideas where to start?

Post subject: Re: CLD-S9 - Powers on but no activity on open/close (error
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2021, 00:48 
Third post and above
Third post and above

LD-S9 of course. I had CLD-99 on the brain from trying to decipher its cousin's service manual.

Post subject: Re: CLD-S9 - Powers on but no activity on open/close (error   Topic is solved
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2021, 03:31 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Well, after digging through the CLD-99 service manual, and with some tips from this and other boards, I managed to revive things with these oh-so-sophisticated troubleshooting steps. :D

- Manipulated the one pulley I could reach with my pinky finger just a little bit. I believe this was Part 8 (motor pulley) in section 2.5 Loading Mechanism Section of the service manual.
- Manually worked the gear for the laser assembly back and forth a bit.

Believe it or not, that seems to have either freed something that was stuck, or (more likely) forced the computer to reset its positioning. I suspect that was probably what code E3 was all about - maybe things got stuck in a weird state when I powered it down last.

Now for the real fun of putting it through its paces to see if I knocked anything out of whack while taking it apart...

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]