It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:20

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hello, I used To Sell LD Players in the 80s to 2000.
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2021, 02:15 
First post
First post

Hello, I'm new here. My name is Ralph and I used to sell LD players in Florida in the 80s and 90s (the retailers were a high end audio salon and later on I worked at a chain retailer, now defunct, called Sound Advice). I just bought a used Pioneer CLDM-301 with 5 CD ability to play the LD films I still have that my wife always thought were just records. :D I'd like a list of machines because I'd like to upgrade from this model which doesn't have an S video connector. I remember selling a Denon LD/CD changer at one time and I am interested in something like that if anyone is familiar with them. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Hello, I used To Sell LD Players in the 80s to 2000.
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2021, 04:15 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Hi Ralph,

Welcome to the forum and hope you'll find a lot of enjoyment reliving the past. ;)

Also, I did want to point out a few things....

sailordude wrote:
I'd like a list of machines because I'd like to upgrade from this model which doesn't have an S video connector.

Since LD is a composite video format, S-Video is an irrelevant requirement for better picture quality (in fact it's worse in most cases). You will always get better results w/ the composite output and utilizing a TV or video processor w/ a good 3D comb filter. Also, trying to find a TV in this day and age that still sports an S-Video input is almost next to impossible.

As for better machines, you probably already know what was good since you sold players back in the day. However, if you need a refresher, you should probably focus on players that incorporate "digital field memory" (the giveaway is that they usually incorporate a jog/shuttle dial) not only because they can manipulate special effects playback on CLV discs but are just simply better performers in general for picture and sound.

sailordude wrote:
I remember selling a Denon LD/CD changer at one time and I am interested in something like that if anyone is familiar with them.

I'm certain Denon has never made such a machine since the only known design of a CD Changer w/ LD playback capability is the M series of which you already own. In fact, Denon has never made an LD player on their own as they are all clones from either Philips, Pioneer, or Panasonic. So basically, you are no worse just keeping what you have as there no better equivalent available.

Last edited by ldfan on 26 Nov 2021, 02:28, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2021, 11:42 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sailordude wrote:
I used to sell LD players in Florida in the 80s and 90s.

That's cool!

Do you remember how they were marketed? If SONY, Pioneer others were more aggressive on discount or bundling?
You wouldn't have any promotional goods or manuals/pamphlets left by any chance?

sailordude wrote:
I just bought a used Pioneer CLDM-301 with 5 CD ability to play the LD films I still have that my wife always thought were just records.

Mandatory Technology Connections video!

Julien

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2021, 02:58 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

admin wrote:
Do you remember how they were marketed? If SONY, Pioneer others were more aggressive on discount or bundling?
You wouldn't have any promotional goods or manuals/pamphlets left by any chance?

+1 for this

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2021, 05:23 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I actually sold players in that time period. ;)

I don't recall any aggressive marketing promotions from either Sony or Pioneer except for the occasional "Columbia House like" promo to give away discs w/ a player purchase. Otherwise, it was the discretion of the retailer to discount when they had their sales (I would usually buy a bunch of discs when they had discount promotions based on number of titles purchased).

I know the big box retailers like The Good Guys! and Circuit City rarely even tried to sell LD hardware so they never had sales unless a player was getting discontinued.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]