It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:42

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: New to LD
PostPosted: 01 May 2022, 02:23 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hello all, I'm crashoveride

Mainly interested in Laserdisc because I have a CRT (KV-20FV12 Trinitron), and was always interested in how good LD was in action.

Additionally, I have a vested interest in many films' original audio mixes which often are left on LD only, or special features such as isolated scores or M&E tracks which are not brought over to BD.

I'm currently trying to buy a player at a good price (mainly one with a digital optical/coax out for easy digital track transfer)

I've read good things about the CLD-D703, so hopefully I can find one soon

Post subject: Re: New to LD
PostPosted: 01 May 2022, 16:44 
True fan
True fan

+1 for being a Hackers fan, you gotta snag that on LD when you get a chance.

PostPosted: 01 May 2022, 21:22 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

crashoveride wrote:

I'm currently trying to buy a player at a good price (mainly one with a digital optical/coax out for easy digital track transfer)

I've read good things about the CLD-D703, so hopefully I can find one soon

Well… I would not rush to find a player as you may pull the trigger too fast and end up paying more than you have to. Also, avoid buying a player that needs to be shipped to you as there is a good chance it will get damaged. I would keep and eye on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, and if possible a local shop selling used electronics.

In addition, don’t limit yourself to one particular model; it’s not like we have a choice these days as the format continues to age out. It sounds like you want a player with “digital field memory” (that is what makes the 703 what it is over a 503 for example along with the digital output) so you can also consider some of the older sisters like a 3090, 701, and 702. Also, a 704 can be had for a reasonable price if you are patient and that player includes the AC3-RF out for Dolby Digital (probably won’t need it but you never know).

Last edited by ldfan on 02 May 2022, 02:47, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 02 May 2022, 02:24 
Honest fan
Honest fan

ldfan wrote:
crashoveride wrote:

Well… I would not rush to find a player as you may pull the trigger too fast and end up paying more than you have too. Also, avoid buying a player that needs to be shipped to you as there is a good chance it will get damaged. I would keep and eye on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, and if possible a local shop selling used electronics.

Also, don’t limit yourself to one particular model; it’s not like we have a choice these days as the format continues to age out. It sounds like you want a player with “digital field memory” (that is what makes the 703 what it is over a 503 for example along with the digital output) so you can also consider some of the older sisters like a 3090, 701, and 702. Also, a 704 can be had for a reasonable price if you are patient and that player includes the AC3-RF out for Dolby Digital (probably won’t need it but you never know).

Yeah, I'm completely open to other models; I just assumed 703 may be cheaper than 704 due to lack of AC3, which I really don't think I need considering what demodulators go for

I'm also definitely prioritizing local pickup, however sadly I wasn't able to find many shops selling used electronics in my city except Goodwill

I was able to find an ebay listing for a player, but it's a CLD-S104

PostPosted: 02 May 2022, 06:30 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The best laserdisc player is the one that works.
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 02 May 2022, 14:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Welcome!

crashoveride wrote:
I was able to find an ebay listing for a player, but it's a CLD-S104

If you can get it for cheap, go for it. I was surprised at the picture quality the first time I saw one, considering what they sold for.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]