It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:36

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hello LDDB community, 3 questions I hope someone can answer!
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2023, 03:23 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hello everyone!

I use this wonderful site a lot to get questions answered. Im trying to find out if removing a scratch with Novus on the Evil Dead 2 blood red disc would possibly compromise the red in the disc? Not a big scratch but still I wish it wasn’t there!

Second I have 2 box sets that were sealed for many years that I opened. The elephant condom ink transferred to the disc Once again I would like to try Novus to remove but don’t want to compromise the disc by smearing the ink in further to the disc

Lastly I believe I saw this covered, just asking The center label on 2 discs of the same movie have fallen off Is it ok to play the discs without a label?

A very wonderful site this is! So glad this site exists! Thank you to everyone to be able to answer these questions

Post subject: Re: Hello LDDB community, 3 questions I hope someone can ans
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2023, 04:50 
Site Admin
Site Admin

atari wrote:
Lastly I believe I saw this covered, just asking The center label on 2 discs of the same movie have fallen off Is it ok to play the discs without a label?

I do not have answers for #1 and #2 but playing a disc without labels is not a good idea as the clamping/grip expect some friction to spin the disc up and down. Smooth plastic might be an issue, slipping on the surface with a bad grip.

I'd gently glue it back in place.

Julien

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2023, 13:27 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hi Julien,

Thank you for your reply about the labels. Is there a certain glue to use so as to not break down the disc from the glue?

Also just cautious about my Evil Dead 2 disc with the scratch. Is it possible to remove the scratch without possibly causing a issue with the red dye that was used in the disc?

The ink issue I have on two movies from the elephant condom, Im thinking it can be cleaned off with Novus

Thank you everyone with information you all have

Atari

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2023, 18:02 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

First issue I have no idea as the red would be in the plastic not like a paint or dye so you are taking a risk.
If the disc plays fine don't bother you may mess it up and your OCD will be upset with you more :lol:

As for the print transfer, I have experienced it in the past, not sure if its ink, dust or what really.
But get the Novus 1 the cleaner and you will be fine with no issues.

Hope that helps.

You can also get glue, I remember only 1 disc I've had in all the years had a label fall off and I glued it back on with spray glue.
Be very careful, spray the sticker/label wait for it to become tacky then apply like it would have been 3-5 decades ago.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2023, 18:53 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hi Rein-o,

Thanks for your suggestions to things I have going on with my discs! Yes I will leave my tiny scratch alone on the Evil Dead 2. It seems to always be the rare discs that have problems! Ill be applying the Novus 1 to the discs tonight to remove the ink or whatever Like you say not sure what this is but definitely taken off the elephant condoms right to the disc! Lastly thank you for recommending the glue spray Only movie I have this happened to Problem is with two discs I have 2 labels inside the jacket No idea which label goes on what disc Guessing game Until I play the disc Thanks again Rein-o!

Atari

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2023, 19:25 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Also that film thing on the disc from the sleeves I never had any damage that I've ever encountered. I would just put them back on after cleaning.

Its usually from discs that have been sitting for a very long time or as yours sealed for years.
I've only ever replaced inner sleeves if the disc was used, the sleeve was dirty or badly damaged.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2023, 21:08 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Rein-o,

Thank you for your experience with this! Was actually thinking of possibly finding lp paper sleeves to replace those sad elephant condoms Everything costs money, but want to keep my collection in great condition! Yes I admit I clean my discs and probably more paranoid than most when it comes to my discs!!! Just want my laserdiscs to look and play the best they can! Have a great day Lddb community!!!!

Atari

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]