It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:55

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: New LD player
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2022, 22:45 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Hi all, after a year long, but not very active search, I stumbled on a Pioneer CLD-3090 player. It had a few issues, but nothing complicated. I posted about it last december just after I got it home, but at that point I didn't have any laserdiscs to play in it. Once I did I found that it would not switch back from side B to side A. Turned out there was a spring missing - the one that holds the white plastic rack up against the gear had popped off and disintegrated or something, once I figured that out and replaced the little drive belt in front I was off to the races!

So now I'm introducing myself to the wonderful world of laserdisc

The 3090 is sitting in my late 80's / early 90's retro-stack including a Denon PMA700 amp, a Denon AVC-500 (audio processor from the 80's - actually synthesized surround channels from standard stereo) Nakamichi 480 tape deck, Technics turntable (forget the model), Yamaha EQ550 gr equalizer, Yamaha CDx-450 CD palyer, and just for fun a late 70's all analog Akai AT220 tuner.

I've ordered a few discs, some disney for the wife and kids, Spartacus, 2001, and The Shining for me. We'll see how it goes from there.

Oh, and I need to find a compatible remote one of these days, but I'm in no hurry.

Hope to make lots of friends here and maybe learn a little too!

Post subject: Re: New LD player
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2022, 02:04 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Quick update... I just ordered a few more discs off ebay, including a three disc Criterion boxed set of 2001: A Space Odyssey. I'm a fan of Kubrick and that's my favorite film of his, so one more copy isn't going to hurt anything. I'm guessing the whole thing is in CAV, but I'm excited to see what else the deluxe edition comes with!

Post subject: Re: New LD player
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2022, 15:34 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

It's a very nice edition that has some cool special features, and yes, it's all CAV.

You can check it out on LDDB of course 8-)

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]