It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:57

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hello People of LDDB.com I am an ANALOGUISER
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2023, 11:21 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I've been collecting LD since about 2005 when it became affordable to me. Born in 1978, I lusted after LD all through the many mistakes of my youth. I never stopped loving it.

I now have about 500 titles and a single, single sided working player. I need to work on that.

I'm now on a quest to analoguise my entire UHD and DVD collections. I no longer care for the ultra sharp and clear images of the present on old content. It actually gives me fatigue. I now realise I need to watch this content as I originally did in the '80s and '90s. However, I do wish to preserve PCM stereo soundtracks on DVDs and UHDs.

Can I ask you, fellow fans of the past, to help recommend to me the ultimate tape format for analoguising my collection? SVHS, ED Beta or Hi8? Which one would allow me to capture bit perfect PCM as well as provide good playback reliability? I like Hi8 at this stage, guaranteed PCM capture and small form factor, apparently equal to SVHS in quality, BUT I have heard of "shedding" issues where Hi8 tape disintegrates when played back and clogs heads??!?!

If you had to analoguise your entire digital collection what tech would you go with? What decks? What tapes? Thank you if you can recommend anything.

I figure of everywhere on the internet in 2023, LDDB members are most qualified to answer my questions. Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Hello People of LDDB.com I am an ANALOGUISER
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2023, 16:10 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Ummm…tape sucking is the reason I got into LD. The idea of backing up an optical disc into a tape is nuts. LD is way more reliable than tape.

What you are saying makes no sense. Just get a bad TV if you hate clarity.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2023, 02:37 
Serious fan
Serious fan

This is definitely a new one, and I'm also inclined to say it makes no sense. With a bog-standard consumer CRT and an HDMI-to-composite converter, digital SD video can look almost as soft, smudgy, and chromatically aberrant as your LDs.

Also, PCM stereo? While there do exist DVDs and UHD-BDs with PCM tracks, they're far from the norm. Dolby and DTS mostly run the show when it comes to digital discs, and on DVD both have lossy compression. Do you mean you want the PCM output post-decoding?

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2023, 02:41 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

signofzeta wrote:
Ummm…tape sucking is the reason I got into LD. The idea of backing up an optical disc into a tape is nuts. LD is way more reliable than tape.

What you are saying makes no sense. Just get a bad TV if you hate clarity.

Hello. Sorry I offended your sensibilities, I don't want to make enemies here.

It makes sense to me. Higher resolution gives me an actual headache personally. I personally like the softer picture of Laserdisc and tape, I enjoy it more. I just sit there and watch and it draws me in with analogue warmth, it feels, I dunno, more human?

The whole experience of tape and LD are also more pure I think. I dislike menus and settings on the software.

Anyway, regardless, for my own reasons I want to get my UHD and DVD content and have it on tape hopefully with PCM intact.

If any of you were "crazy" like me, what format (SVHS? ED Beta? Hi8?) and specific decks would you go with? Thank you if you can help.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2023, 02:52 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

rcarlson wrote:
This is definitely a new one, and I'm also inclined to say it makes no sense. With a bog-standard consumer CRT and an HDMI-to-composite converter, digital SD video can look almost as soft, smudgy, and chromatically aberrant as your LDs.

Hello. Thanks for your reply and questions. I disagree with that. I run HDMI through a box to my CRT now and the picture looks artificial and overly sharp to me. Again, it's just my taste probably. Or perhaps there's something wrong with my eyes? Even if so, I think part of it is nostalgia. I suppose I also want to watch content from the past in the same way I enjoyed it in the past.

Quote:
Also, PCM stereo? While there do exist DVDs and UHD-BDs with PCM tracks, they're far from the norm. Dolby and DTS mostly run the show when it comes to digital discs, and on DVD both have lossy compression. Do you mean you want the PCM output post-decoding?

Actually, I only have 8 UHDs and they all have Linear PCM 2.0 tracks. I have about 300 DVDs and about 80% have Linear PCM 2.0 tracks. Most are music/concert discs. So I'm looking at capturing it in real time directly as I record the disc playing back. I believe Hi8 can definitely do this but as I said it might have shedding issues. I have seen ED Beta decks with PCM switches but this may just be an emulation filter? I have yet to see a SVHS deck with a PCM button or label but I have read that SVHS is capable of capturing it. I guess you would need some kind of Digital input to the deck? Maybe these are only on broadcast equipment? Hmmm.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2023, 18:27 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I would say any lower end company, anything that Radioshack would have sold, Emerson, Penny, Kmart or Sears brand of tape deck.

Maybe even look into getting a stand alone DVD recorder, pretty much any working and set your record time to the longest when transferring you will get an
acceptable image.

Or get a camera and record off your TV externally and then capture the audio file and sync them on your computer to make a good audio poor image?

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2023, 05:30 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Okay, sorry I am clearly wrong about Audio Video and I apologise.

Admin, please delete my account here. Thank you.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]