It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:28

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hi all! New member, with 40+ years of Laser Disc experience
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2023, 08:40 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hi-

I have used the lddb.com site on and off for many years but somehow missed that it has a forum section, too. So, after thousands of posts on Videokarma, AVS, Antique Radios, and others, now I am here.

My history with Laser Discs goes back almost to the beginning, and in some ways to earlier than that. I remember in Radio-Electronics magazine when David Lachenbruch would describe the upcoming "laser-optical video disc" system, and when he mentioned that the engineers had followed up the 30-minute-per-side disc with "one that can play up to 60 minutes per side, but with most of the special features not available".

I worked in a store that sold the original Magnavision player in 1980, and I got my first player in 1984, a Pioneer VP-1000 that skipped and froze about halfway into discs. I fixed that problem, and later I upgraded to nicer players into the late 1990s when I got a used CLD-D704.

Since then, I have kept upgrading my equipment and now I have a "4K" or UHD display and player, but I still have all of my Laser Discs and I never plan to get rid of them, the format is just too much fun.

Post subject: Re: Hi all! New member, with 40+ years of Laser Disc experie
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2023, 04:10 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

What TV do you normally watch your LD's on?

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2023, 06:38 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hi-

My main display is a Sony XR-77A80J OLED TV set. Laser discs look quite good on it, including if I zoom widescreen discs to full width on its screen.

My sound system is an Onkyo TX-SR876 receiver with five SVS Prime Satellite speakers and an SVS SB-2000 subwoofer in an approximately 144-square-foot room.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2024, 07:03 
Honest fan
Honest fan

chrisw6atv wrote:
Hi-

...I worked in a store that sold the original Magnavision player in 1980, and I got my first player in 1984, a Pioneer VP-1000 that skipped and froze about halfway into discs. I fixed that problem, and later I upgraded to nicer players into the late 1990s when I got a used CLD-D704.

My 704s are all wearing out. Bearing issues we are working on a fix, but I have to find the time.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2024, 06:03 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

remav wrote:

My 704s are all wearing out. Bearing issues we are working on a fix, but I have to find the time.

I just took my Mitsubishi, M-V7057 (704 clone) out of storage for awhile as I work on fixing an issue with my ProScan PSLD43. I guess I better hurry up and fix it fast and then get the Mits back in a box to prevent over use :roll:

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]