It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:18

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Inherited Laser Lefty's 1,600+ LD Collection, 5 Players
PostPosted: 08 Oct 2023, 19:51 
Second post
Second post

Hello All,

Like the subject line says, I just finished clearing out my Uncle's estate and he was an avid LD collector/enthusiast. I'm still in the process of cataloguing them all, almost finished, you can find the collection here:

https://www.lddb.com/collection.php?action=list&user=therealnumenprod

I'm obviously brand new to the community and I'm doing the best I can to update any missing cover photos, when I come across them, but I'm at a loss when it comes to understanding "Mint Marks". From the little I've gleaned, mint marks are on the discs themselves, and if I have a red marker in my collection, saying "Mint Marks" for that entry, I'm to open the sealed LD and report the marks that are on the discs themselves(?) So my question is, with the majority of his collection is still sealed, and maybe this is a stupid question, but doesn't opening the sealed disc devalue it considerably?

I'm sure the answer to this is somewhere on the forum, I just haven't looked hard enough, but... if someone wants to explain or point me in the right direction on what to do in that situation, thank you, in advance, for any suggestions or bits of advice.

I also have a few questions as to where can I make notes on <i>my</i> specific discs, not into it's main entry in the database. Is that even possible? I think I made this mistake with one of my players, in the hardware section, where I thought I was making a change to <i>my</i> hardware, https://www.lddb.com/hardware/0678/laserdisc/Pioneer/LD-700, but apparently I accidentally made a change to the black version of the LD-700s main entry in the database. Sorry about that, https://www.lddb.com/account/admin. Anyway...

Just thought I'd introduce myself to the community... Hello lddb.com!

Post subject: Re: Inherited Laser Lefty's 1,600+ LD Collection, 5 Players
PostPosted: 08 Oct 2023, 22:52 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Playback is the most important, I didn't really look at the collection closely, I would make lots of 20-40 discs and sell them off for the common ones.
You will need to just search on here and ebay, its not going to be fast and if you have a real job or other source of income you may want to cut your losses
and sell them in larger lots of lets say 50.

Your best value discs would be scifi, horror, anime and some films that haven't been released on DVD or Bluray.

On a quick note, any pre 50s movie that doesn't fit the above are just filler and you can add them to lots.

Opening them won't kill the value, but it won't help at all to find the mint marks, they are around the sticker on the silver part of the disc.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2023, 01:44 
Second post
Second post

Thanks rein-o... You're correct, although I'm still unclear on the "mint marks" thing. Do I need to open those discs and send in some kind of information? The red lines aren't clear what it's referring to or asking for, nor are the red stars(?).

But, ultimately, yes, I do want to sell the lot, as well as the five Pioneer players. Which, btw, I also inherited hardware, 5 Pioneer players. If you're interested you can check out my hardware section. I'm still going through and testing them all, so far they all work, though I 'll prolly keep one working player and a personally culled selection of movies that I like. I'm a Video Producer myself, inherited my good taste in art from my Uncle and also inherited my Uncle's passion for film, and specifically collecting good film on Laserdisc. There's some amazing works of art here, and he was passionate about his collection, not purely for the $$ value.

I do have a decent sense of what's here, in terms of value. Olympia, Alamo, Metropolis, True Lies, Devil's Advocate, Fatal Attraction, Wallace & Gromit, Speed, The Rock, The Shadow, Tremors, WaterWorld (x2), Batman Forever, Yellow Submarine (x2), etc etc. A massive Criterion Collection, many of which never made it to DVD, lot's of Beatles, Star Wars and Godfathers (I think I might even have a Godfather II misprint Godfather, The: Part II (1974) [LV 8459-2]). An extensive, and rare, CinemaDisc Collection. 30ish "Performing Images" discs, also very rare performances. Only reason I know they're rare is that I've come across dozens and dozens of "Missing Cover Photo" entries (and I am doing my best to serve the community and submit photos when they've come up-). I've even come across four "new" submissions to the database.

I enjoyed reading the "Lot for 125k" thread... kind of gave me an introduction the LD community and what to expect when wanting to sell a lot this size. I will start to parse them out and sell them off as lots on Ebay, or here. Separate all the CinemaDiscs, the CCs, the horror, as well as the chaff, the pre-50s that you mentioned, thank you for that btw.

But with that said, if there is any one person interested in the whole lot, minus my personal culling of course, and you're willing to travel to Austin, please feel free to make me an offer. Julien's Uselss Stastics says: "Collection value based on all historical data: Min $10,694.96 - Average $13,129.02 - Max $16,429.57. I'm not expecting anyone to come anywhere near that figure, but I would entertain offers that aren't just pure garage sale offers either.

Y'all know better than anyone what a lot this size means in terms of transport and storage, so shipping on a lot this size would easily equal the cost, necessitating local pickup only, methinks. Also not sure if I need to "officially" become a seller here to say what I just said. I sent in a request to Julien the day I joined the Forum.

Attached is a Panoramic of some of my faves https://numenproductions.com/images/_leftys_panoramic.png.

Julien, what do I do to become a seller here?

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2023, 02:29 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Mint marks are tracked on the database because that's part of tracking which discs came from which manufacturing plants, and thereby which facilities were more prone to making bad discs, that kind of thing. It's encyclopedic information about the release, not about your specific copies. Admin (Julien) could tell you more (or correct anything I say that isn't exactly correct). Anyway, those red lines will show up for everyone else who has that title in their collection until somebody reads the little numbers off the disc(s) and puts them in the database, at which point the red lines will go away for everyone. So, missing mint marks are an opportunity to contribute in a small (microscopic, really) way to our collective knowledge of all things LaserDisc, but it doesn't mean that any information is missing about your uncle's collection in particular. You're fine.

EDIT: Also, the red stars just mean that someone made an update to that title's information recently.

My condolences about your uncle.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2023, 14:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

IIRC DTS disks are still valuable enough to sell individually.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]