It is currently 24 Jun 2024, 03:54




 Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: New addiction alert..
PostPosted: 08 May 2024, 09:54 
Third post and above
Third post and above
User avatar

Joined: 07 May 2024, 14:12
Posts: 3
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times
Hi :wave: , just thought i would introduce myself to the forum, having been a fan of most things retro for many years, cars/tech/video games etc, it was only natural that eventually laserdisc would would be in my sights. As such a new minor obsession/addiction has unfolded but i have much to learn.

Don't currently own a player as yet, but have purchased a few titles on disc mainly because they were movies I loved as a kid.

look forward to getting to know about more about the platform.


Ryan 8-)


Scotland/UK
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New addiction alert..
PostPosted: 08 May 2024, 11:39 
Honest fan
Honest fan
User avatar

Joined: 22 Oct 2023, 20:20
Posts: 118
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 52 times
Hey Ryan,

welcome to the forum!

Now get out there to search for your first player. :lol:

Cheers,
Markus
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New addiction alert..
PostPosted: 08 May 2024, 13:48 
Third post and above
Third post and above
User avatar

Joined: 07 May 2024, 14:12
Posts: 3
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times
mth1986 wrote:
Hey Ryan,

welcome to the forum!

Now get out there to search for your first player. :lol:

Cheers,
Markus



:lol: thanks, for sure i will be on the hunt!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New addiction alert..
PostPosted: 11 May 2024, 11:02 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2019, 18:26
Posts: 571
Location: UK
Has thanked: 259 times
Been thanked: 238 times
May I also follow Markus and offer a big welcome to the forum!

Can I also offer an important bit of advice in the search for your first LD player, check first if there is anything available locally or at least within reasonable driving distance that can be collected in person and avoid shipping a player at all costs.

Good luck in your search :thumbup:
_________________
Pioneer HLD-X9/CLD-925/CLD-2950
OPPO BDP-105D Audiocom Signature
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen R2144
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New addiction alert..
PostPosted: 11 May 2024, 11:25 
Honest fan
Honest fan
User avatar

Joined: 22 Oct 2023, 20:20
Posts: 118
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 52 times
laserfanhld-gb wrote:
May I also follow Markus and offer a big welcome to the forum!

Can I also offer an important bit of advice in the search for your first LD player, check first if there is anything available locally or at least within reasonable driving distance that can be collected in person and avoid shipping a player at all costs.

Good luck in your search :thumbup:


Big thumbs up for this advice!

Although I personally got lucky so far, the risk is immense. Even here at our side of the Atlantic where I made the experience that the postal services do care more about the packages than in the USA. :(
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New addiction alert..
PostPosted: 11 May 2024, 11:40 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2019, 18:26
Posts: 571
Location: UK
Has thanked: 259 times
Been thanked: 238 times
mth1986 wrote:
laserfanhld-gb wrote:
May I also follow Markus and offer a big welcome to the forum!

Can I also offer an important bit of advice in the search for your first LD player, check first if there is anything available locally or at least within reasonable driving distance that can be collected in person and avoid shipping a player at all costs.

Good luck in your search :thumbup:


Big thumbs up for this advice!

Although I personally got lucky so far, the risk is immense. Even here at our side of the Atlantic where I made the experience that the postal services do care more about the packages than in the USA. :(


Unfortunately I wasn’t so lucky as you when I had my last CLD-2950 shipped from southern England and likewise a CLD-R7G that I posted to a buyer in Italy got the rough treatment. Clearly as you point out our European firms are really no better than their US counterparts :thumbdown:
_________________
Pioneer HLD-X9/CLD-925/CLD-2950
OPPO BDP-105D Audiocom Signature
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen R2144
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New addiction alert..
PostPosted: 11 May 2024, 11:52 
Serious fan
Serious fan
User avatar

Joined: 26 Mar 2024, 10:01
Posts: 161
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 87 times
Been thanked: 37 times
laserfanhld-gb wrote:
May I also follow Markus and offer a big welcome to the forum!

Can I also offer an important bit of advice in the search for your first LD player, check first if there is anything available locally or at least within reasonable driving distance that can be collected in person and avoid shipping a player at all costs.

Good luck in your search :thumbup:


I would add that I've had over a dozen LD players shipped from Japan and the US all the way to Australia and only had one get destroyed in transit. All the others worked as advertised and weren't damaged in transport.

So, to get the player you really want, feel relaxed about getting a player shipped to you I would say.
_________________
PM me if you want to swap s*bti*le files. Have a lot to share and currently need Mospeada TV.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New addiction alert..
PostPosted: 11 May 2024, 14:04 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
User avatar

Joined: 14 Jan 2010, 09:44
Posts: 6059
Location: Ann Arbor
Has thanked: 1345 times
Been thanked: 1169 times
While I do welcome new members to the forum I don’t really welcome anyone new to the hobby itself. All noobs do is obsess about rot, AC3, and the value of discs while smashing players in the mail and framing their movies. I think they should just do something else with the money they’re going to blow on this hobby. Paying $50 for a blurry version of a movie rarely makes any sense anyway. Capturing them all, filling up hard drives, another noob obsession, is doubly pointless.

Usually people are glad when they see…for example…someone half their age driving the same vintage car they do. It makes them think they’re going to keep the spirit of the hobby going for longer. It’s different with LD though. The rate at which noobs smash players only ensures that everyone will be out of them sooner.
_________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New addiction alert..
PostPosted: 11 May 2024, 15:03 
Honest fan
Honest fan
User avatar

Joined: 22 Oct 2023, 20:20
Posts: 118
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 52 times
signofzeta wrote:
While I do welcome new members to the forum I don’t really welcome anyone new to the hobby itself. All noobs do is obsess about rot, AC3, and the value of discs while smashing players in the mail and framing their movies. I think they should just do something else with the money they’re going to blow on this hobby. Paying $50 for a blurry version of a movie rarely makes any sense anyway. Capturing them all, filling up hard drives, another noob obsession, is doubly pointless.

Usually people are glad when they see…for example…someone half their age driving the same vintage car they do. It makes them think they’re going to keep the spirit of the hobby going for longer. It’s different with LD though. The rate at which noobs smash players only ensures that everyone will be out of them sooner.


And after all that grumpy talk you did not welcome him in the end.

If it makes you feel any better edit your last will so all your players are buried with you and all covers burned so no one dares to frame them. :lol:
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New addiction alert..
PostPosted: 11 May 2024, 17:53 
Serious fan
Serious fan
User avatar

Joined: 26 Mar 2024, 10:01
Posts: 161
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 87 times
Been thanked: 37 times
mth1986 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
While I do welcome new members to the forum I don’t really welcome anyone new to the hobby itself. All noobs do is obsess about rot, AC3, and the value of discs while smashing players in the mail and framing their movies. I think they should just do something else with the money they’re going to blow on this hobby. Paying $50 for a blurry version of a movie rarely makes any sense anyway. Capturing them all, filling up hard drives, another noob obsession, is doubly pointless.

Usually people are glad when they see…for example…someone half their age driving the same vintage car they do. It makes them think they’re going to keep the spirit of the hobby going for longer. It’s different with LD though. The rate at which noobs smash players only ensures that everyone will be out of them sooner.


And after all that grumpy talk you did not welcome him in the end.

If it makes you feel any better edit your last will so all your players are buried with you and all covers burned so no one dares to frame them. :lol:


My Will actually includes somethig like this. Basically it's going to be a huge bonfire like Darth Vader's in ROTJ. But all my stuff will be under my body as I burn. The funds in my superannuation should hopefully cover the ceremony. Nobody deserves MY stuff except me.
_________________
PM me if you want to swap s*bti*le files. Have a lot to share and currently need Mospeada TV.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New addiction alert..
PostPosted: 11 May 2024, 17:55 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
User avatar

Joined: 14 Jan 2010, 09:44
Posts: 6059
Location: Ann Arbor
Has thanked: 1345 times
Been thanked: 1169 times
All my players will be broken long before I die and there won’t be any others left either…because of eBay, noobs, careless shippers, etc. Please fill my coffin with comic books instead.
_________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New addiction alert..
PostPosted: 11 May 2024, 18:35 
Honest fan
Honest fan
User avatar

Joined: 22 Oct 2023, 20:20
Posts: 118
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 52 times
signofzeta wrote:
All my players will be broken long before I die and there won’t be any others left either…because of eBay, noobs, careless shippers, etc. Please fill my coffin with comic books instead.


Comic books are a great idea! Anything goes for the last journey I guess!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New addiction alert..
PostPosted: 11 May 2024, 19:28 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2009, 18:05
Posts: 3601
Location: California, USA
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 332 times
Welcome to the forum. Buying movies first and then the player is the correct order. It is best to do some research before purchasing a player.
_________________
Coming Soon
Derman Labs
Anything Of Substance
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New addiction alert..
PostPosted: 15 May 2024, 11:40 
Third post and above
Third post and above
User avatar

Joined: 07 May 2024, 14:12
Posts: 3
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times
Thanks for the welcome guys, and the very sound advice!
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

cron