It is currently 24 Jun 2024, 03:54

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: New addiction alert..
PostPosted: 08 May 2024, 09:54 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hi :wave: , just thought i would introduce myself to the forum, having been a fan of most things retro for many years, cars/tech/video games etc, it was only natural that eventually laserdisc would would be in my sights. As such a new minor obsession/addiction has unfolded but i have much to learn.

Don't currently own a player as yet, but have purchased a few titles on disc mainly because they were movies I loved as a kid.

look forward to getting to know about more about the platform.

Ryan 8-)

Scotland/UK

Post subject: Re: New addiction alert..
PostPosted: 08 May 2024, 11:39 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hey Ryan,

welcome to the forum!

Now get out there to search for your first player. :lol:

Cheers,
Markus

PostPosted: 08 May 2024, 13:48 
Third post and above
Third post and above

mth1986 wrote:
Hey Ryan,

welcome to the forum!

Now get out there to search for your first player. :lol:

Cheers,
Markus

:lol: thanks, for sure i will be on the hunt!

PostPosted: 11 May 2024, 11:02 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

May I also follow Markus and offer a big welcome to the forum!

Can I also offer an important bit of advice in the search for your first LD player, check first if there is anything available locally or at least within reasonable driving distance that can be collected in person and avoid shipping a player at all costs.

Good luck in your search :thumbup:
Lumagen R2144

PostPosted: 11 May 2024, 11:25 
Honest fan
Honest fan

laserfanhld-gb wrote:

Can I also offer an important bit of advice in the search for your first LD player, check first if there is anything available locally or at least within reasonable driving distance that can be collected in person and avoid shipping a player at all costs.

Big thumbs up for this advice!

Although I personally got lucky so far, the risk is immense. Even here at our side of the Atlantic where I made the experience that the postal services do care more about the packages than in the USA. :(

PostPosted: 11 May 2024, 11:40 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

mth1986 wrote:
laserfanhld-gb wrote:

Big thumbs up for this advice!

Although I personally got lucky so far, the risk is immense. Even here at our side of the Atlantic where I made the experience that the postal services do care more about the packages than in the USA. :(

Unfortunately I wasn’t so lucky as you when I had my last CLD-2950 shipped from southern England and likewise a CLD-R7G that I posted to a buyer in Italy got the rough treatment. Clearly as you point out our European firms are really no better than their US counterparts :thumbdown:
Lumagen R2144

PostPosted: 11 May 2024, 11:52 
Serious fan
Serious fan

laserfanhld-gb wrote:

I would add that I've had over a dozen LD players shipped from Japan and the US all the way to Australia and only had one get destroyed in transit. All the others worked as advertised and weren't damaged in transport.

So, to get the player you really want, feel relaxed about getting a player shipped to you I would say.

PostPosted: 11 May 2024, 14:04 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

While I do welcome new members to the forum I don’t really welcome anyone new to the hobby itself. All noobs do is obsess about rot, AC3, and the value of discs while smashing players in the mail and framing their movies. I think they should just do something else with the money they’re going to blow on this hobby. Paying $50 for a blurry version of a movie rarely makes any sense anyway. Capturing them all, filling up hard drives, another noob obsession, is doubly pointless.

Usually people are glad when they see…for example…someone half their age driving the same vintage car they do. It makes them think they’re going to keep the spirit of the hobby going for longer. It’s different with LD though. The rate at which noobs smash players only ensures that everyone will be out of them sooner.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 11 May 2024, 15:03 
Honest fan
Honest fan

signofzeta wrote:
While I do welcome new members to the forum I don’t really welcome anyone new to the hobby itself. All noobs do is obsess about rot, AC3, and the value of discs while smashing players in the mail and framing their movies. I think they should just do something else with the money they’re going to blow on this hobby. Paying $50 for a blurry version of a movie rarely makes any sense anyway. Capturing them all, filling up hard drives, another noob obsession, is doubly pointless.

Usually people are glad when they see…for example…someone half their age driving the same vintage car they do. It makes them think they’re going to keep the spirit of the hobby going for longer. It’s different with LD though. The rate at which noobs smash players only ensures that everyone will be out of them sooner.

And after all that grumpy talk you did not welcome him in the end.

If it makes you feel any better edit your last will so all your players are buried with you and all covers burned so no one dares to frame them. :lol:

PostPosted: 11 May 2024, 17:53 
Serious fan
Serious fan

mth1986 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

And after all that grumpy talk you did not welcome him in the end.

If it makes you feel any better edit your last will so all your players are buried with you and all covers burned so no one dares to frame them. :lol:

My Will actually includes somethig like this. Basically it's going to be a huge bonfire like Darth Vader's in ROTJ. But all my stuff will be under my body as I burn. The funds in my superannuation should hopefully cover the ceremony. Nobody deserves MY stuff except me.

PostPosted: 11 May 2024, 17:55 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

All my players will be broken long before I die and there won’t be any others left either…because of eBay, noobs, careless shippers, etc. Please fill my coffin with comic books instead.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 11 May 2024, 18:35 
Honest fan
Honest fan

signofzeta wrote:
All my players will be broken long before I die and there won’t be any others left either…because of eBay, noobs, careless shippers, etc. Please fill my coffin with comic books instead.

Comic books are a great idea! Anything goes for the last journey I guess!

PostPosted: 11 May 2024, 19:28 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Welcome to the forum. Buying movies first and then the player is the correct order. It is best to do some research before purchasing a player.

PostPosted: 15 May 2024, 11:40 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Thanks for the welcome guys, and the very sound advice!

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]