It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 22:38

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hello from London
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2012, 11:38 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I just wanted to say hi to everyone here; I've been using the Laserdisc database for years now, but I've only recently noticed the forum. It's great to see a community of laserdisc enthusiasts, and the website itself is a wonderful resource.

I bought my Laserdisc player in the late 90's (about two years after I bought my first DVD player). Before that time, Laserdiscs were well beyond my financial means, but I used to pour over the catalogues and dream. I love early Cinemascope films from the 50's, and those films were a long time in coming to DVD. It was great to get them on Laserdisc in their proper aspect ratio. Even now, I still have a handful of titles that I have not been able to replace, so the player is still connected and well-used (although I am working on copying some of those titles onto the computer).

Great site, and great forum!

Shawm

Post subject: Re: Hello from London
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2012, 16:58 
welcome!!! :thumbup:

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2012, 17:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Welcome to the forum! It's a great group of people to share information with and ask technical or repair questions.

Which player model do you have? Do you collect NTSC LaserDisc's or PAL only?

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2012, 20:54 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Hi, Thanks for the welcome!

I have a Pioneer CLD-2950. I bought it second-hand almost fifteen years ago, but it's still working beautifully; a really great player.

I have both NTSC and PAL discs. The PAL laserdisc catalogue was never very large, so most of the interesting titles (with one or two exceptions) were NTSC imports.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2012, 11:57 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Welcome aboard. The 2950 is a nice player only like to get mine back up and running but currently running DVL-909.

Is your 2950 a straight player with no AC-3 mods? Do you run it with drs Laserdiscs?

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2012, 13:38 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I've a couple of 2950 laserdisc players. It was one of the early machines I bought and it still produces a sharper picture than any of the later PAL/NTSC dual machines like the CLD-925 or DVL909/919 machines. The lack of a frame pause on CLV discs and a very slow side change were the only real disadvantages. The 2950 often sells for around double the price of a 925 as it is considered by many to be the best dual player ever made.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2012, 15:55 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Yes, the 2950 is great.

Mine doesn't have the AC-3 mod, but I've never felt the need to upgrade. The sound through the optical cable is excellent, and the picture quality is great.

Over the last fifteen years, I've probably gone though about four DVD players (not counting the Blu-Ray player I finally bought last month) three different amps, three satellite receivers, but this Laserdisc player has outlived everything. It's hard to imagine any modern appliance lasting as long as this - technology just isn't built that way any more...

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2012, 16:05 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Welcome to the forum! Always good to have more Brits on here, I think we're still outnumber by a good few though : p

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2012, 04:16 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Your one of many then that's picked a good model. :) I had mine S/H and within less then a year the spindle motor packed up on it :( and had to well buy a new spindle motor and changed out the broken one for a brand new one and performed great :) ...for a while and then the hub clamp or the rubber ring that sits on the top of the spindle motor, between the spindle and hub/clamp its not making a firm grip when starting up and slips and then shuts down as it has sensor that's telling the player to switch to stop mode.

I liked what the 2950 offered over my 1750 such as rainbow colouring was reduced for a clearer picture .

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]