It is currently 04 May 2024, 20:40

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hi Everyone! I have a few questions!
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2011, 22:44 
HI! My name is Tony, and I've been an avid collector of LaserDiscs since 1987. Today, I was happy to come across the LDDb and this forum. I registered, and I figured I'd add whatever I could. However, I was surprised to see terms I was unfamiliar with such as "Reference" and "Mint Marks". After poking around a bit, I surmised "Reference" to be what I always considered a catalog number. When adding or updating the database, are hyphens considered part of it here? I ask because I have a couple of Karaoke 8" LaserDiscs. When I was looking through what was in the database, I noticed some have the hyphens, and some don't. In my case, the two Karaoke laserdiscs have hyphens on the sleeve and disc labels. However, in the database, there are no hyphens on what appear to be entries for the same discs. I tried to update the database, but my changes didn't appear to show up. Does it take a certain amount of time before updates show up? Also, should queries be done without spaces and hyphens to begin with? Should those spaces and/or hyphens be added to the "Reference" when they appear that way on the disc and sleeve? I tried to correct some, but again, my updates weren't showing up.

For the "Picture" drop down list, should I select "Video" for both Karaoke discs?

Those discs both have "LaserKaraoke Video Sing Along" at the top of the sleeves and labels. Should that phrase be added to the "Collection" drop down list in the "Update" screen?

Those same discs happen to have "Analogue - Multiplex" on one and "Analog - Multi Audio" on the other. The "Update" screen doesn't have those selections under "Analog Left" and "Analog Right". How should those entries be handled?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions right off the bat, but I'd like to add what I can as soon as possible. Back in the early 90s, I wrote a computer program using dBase 2 to keep track of my LaserDiscs. As time passed, I updated it to dBase 3+. That was back in the MS-DOS days. When Windows 95 arrived, I used Visual Basic to create a new version of it and read in all of my records. However, I lost interest since hard drive space was expensive back then. (I also inventoried other things besides my LaserDiscs......my VHS tapes, CDs, all my electronic equipment, musical equipment, etc.) Now that this web-site is here, I'd love to enter whatever I can, because the "Collection" feature will give me a nice listing once I'm done. Thanks for this site!!!

Post subject: Re: Hi Everyone! I have a few questions!
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2011, 00:49 
Site Admin
Site Admin

phrankenstign wrote:
After poking around a bit, I surmised "Reference" to be what I always considered a catalog number.

Correct!

phrankenstign wrote:
When adding or updating the database, are hyphens considered part of it here?

It should look exactly as it appears on the cover but some of the older lists I re-used had trimmed/filtered some characters already and might need an update.

phrankenstign wrote:
I tried to update the database, but my changes didn't appear to show up. Does it take a certain amount of time before updates show up?

It requires an admin (myself) to manually validate them first, yes.

phrankenstign wrote:
For the "Picture" drop down list, should I select "Video" for both Karaoke discs?

Yes, these were most likely produced using video materials (not film).

phrankenstign wrote:
Those discs both have "LaserKaraoke Video Sing Along" at the top of the sleeves and labels. Should that phrase be added to the "Collection" drop down list in the "Update" screen?

Karaoke collection might be as meaningful than Japanese/US subsets of releases. Collection drop-down list is preset, only collections of 10 or more usually get their own entry there.

phrankenstign wrote:
Those same discs happen to have "Analogue - Multiplex" on one and "Analog - Multi Audio" on the other. The "Update" screen doesn't have those selections under "Analog Left" and "Analog Right". How should those entries be handled?

You will have to actually play your LD to discover what "multiplex" meant to them and use your remote control to switch from Analog Left to Analog Right and find out if it's the complete soundtrack (music+voices => mono) or the music only (soundtrack).

Hope I'm clear enough!

Julien

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]