It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:14

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hello everyone!
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2015, 18:34 
My name is Steven and I'm a 22 year old from the US, specifically Pennsylvania. I love old tech such as retro game consoles, vinyl records, cassette tapes, etc. I knew about Laserdiscs for years having seen them at thrift stores, and I've always loved the vinyl-record style of packaging they are commonly found in. Finally decided to buy a player, but can't decide on which one. I found one for a good price, but I heard that if a player is too old it won't be able to play discs from the '90s and I have no idea how the old this player is (it's a Pioneer LD-707). The discs I intend to buy will probably be movies I like such as Terminator 2 as well as anime and music video collections.

Post subject: Re: Hello everyone!
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2015, 11:35 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

woo! someone around my age! welcome! ^^

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2015, 11:53 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Hi & great to see "youngsters" getting bitten by the LD bug, the format lives on!!!

Have fun guys :thumbup: .

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2015, 12:25 
Serious fan
Serious fan

knoeki wrote:
woo! someone around my age! welcome! ^^

I didn't mention in my introduction thread that I'm 21, so I'm probably not too far off either...

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2015, 17:59 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Hey guys,

As a 'forty-something' year old it's great to see the 'next generation' picking up an interest in preserving this format. It was around that time that LD turned me from just a Hi-Fi buff into a home cinema fan. Something I lost myself in the 'digital age' but very happy to be back into as well. All the best to you in exploring the this format and adapting it to displaying it well in the digital world.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2015, 19:28 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

In relation to your player issue I'm not familiar with that model but I think any NTSC disc issued in the 90's would have both analogue and digital stereo audio tracks. If the disc has Dolby digital/AC-3 then one of the analogue tracks is replaced with the DD signal but the other analogue and both digital will play ok (a special output on the player is required to feed the DD signal to a demodulator/decoder), if it's DTS then both the normal digital tracks are replaced with the DTS signal, but both the analogue should play ok. Any player should still play back the video, but you'll need the right equipment to play back the DD/DTS sound tracks, and if the player is very old then it will only be capable of playing back the analogue tracks. The complicating factor might be if the disc features one of the digital surround formats plus an alternate audio commentary, but those are not very common.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2015, 02:08 
audioboyz1973 wrote:
In relation to your player issue I'm not familiar with that model but I think any NTSC disc issued in the 90's would have both analogue and digital stereo audio tracks. If the disc has Dolby digital/AC-3 then one of the analogue tracks is replaced with the DD signal but the other analogue and both digital will play ok (a special output on the player is required to feed the DD signal to a demodulator/decoder), if it's DTS then both the normal digital tracks are replaced with the DTS signal, but both the analogue should play ok. Any player should still play back the video, but you'll need the right equipment to play back the DD/DTS sound tracks, and if the player is very old then it will only be capable of playing back the analogue tracks. The complicating factor might be if the disc features one of the digital surround formats plus an alternate audio commentary, but those are not very common.

Thanks for the info audioboyz1973 and thanks to everyone for welcoming me. :)

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2015, 11:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good day Vedderman,

Welcome to the forum Friend,

Good to have you here, and hope you enjoy each visit.

Vinyl is returning to more peoples setups, and at IFA Technics announced that they shall be releasing a brand new high quality direct turntable sometime within the first quarter of 2016.......... Great news.

You are correct about the simple pleasures of holding the discs and fine artwork in ones hands, is a tangible experience ''in which one is holding the very performance in hands and connects us more to what we listen to, such a thing is beyond the words that I share here.

I am actually thinking about purchasing a fine vinyl deck again, and only time will tell.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, experiences and general enthusiasm with us.

I shall look forward to further contributions from your good self

Kind Regards to you

:thumbup: :wave:

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2020, 20:25 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Found this one, very sad that our OP is gone now.
Does Julien remove these after some time or do we just have this sitting around the interweb???

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2020, 20:34 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

can we make Guest accounts even still? or is it all just like sands in hourglass.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2020, 03:29 
Site Admin
Site Admin

rein-o wrote:
Found this one, very sad that our OP is gone now.
Does Julien remove these after some time or do we just have this sitting around the interweb???

I switch to "Guest" (that's the default in phpBB Forum when an account is deleted) when the associated LDDb account is deleted after either 3+ years of inactivity or 1 year if the email for this account is bouncing. Notification of freezing after 1 year and Forum message that account will be deleted after 3. If still no reaction, account is removed.

Once in a while, when a user posted important contents (such as disclord), I retain the messages' account.

Julien

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2020, 17:16 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yes Disclord, I remember when we were all asking to keep his name up as he had so much info.

But ones like this do they clog up the forum or space you are allotted? that was really what I was trying to ask.
Thx

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]