It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:31

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hi all
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 09:22 
Great to see an active forum going on here. My name is Sander and i work as illustrator/sketcher in the advertisement business. I remember well from my schooldays in the early '80s, that i went to visit a classmate for making homework. In the living room of his parent's home i saw an impressive row of records (or so i thought lol) and said to my classmate: "...Wow, that's a lot of records...". "...Well,..." my classmate answered, "...those are actually laserdiscs...". His father worked at a department of Philips which was specialized in this media. At that time it was something i had never seen before and ever since then, i was intrigued by the shiny discs. It wasn't until 10+ years later that i started to collect them and still enjoy the great quality of this format. Was cool talkin' to ya and 'til a next chat 8-)

Greetings,
Sander

Post subject: Re: Hi all
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 09:53 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Hello Sander, something in your presentation made me go "hmmm...?" - this might be just a coincidence but if you're the same person I'm thinking of I really like the way how you focus on pixel graphics ;)

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 10:15 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Welcome to the forum Sander! Laserdiscs must have been popular in the Netherlands as I've spotted a few members hailing from there. I hope you enjoy the forum!

Totally off topic but talking of locations I hadn't noticed you were from Finland, romppainen; one of my favourite place, I love to spend summers in your beautiful country.

I need to visit the Netherlands too...I enjoy travelling...so many places I still need to visit.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 14:07 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Welcome to the forum Sander! Your presentation made me smile and think back to my early memories of laserdiscs. People would always come into our home and I can remember everyone making similar remarks about our "Record Albums"! We then of course took that opportunity to go on and brag about our laserdiscs...fun memories!

Kevin
FB: www.facebook.com/LaserdiscVault

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 16:04 
romppainen wrote:
Hello Sander, something in your presentation made me go "hmmm...?" - this might be just a coincidence but if you're the same person I'm thinking of I really like the way how you focus on pixel graphics ;)

Hi romppainen, thanks for your reply. Aha okay, so we could have met before in the advertisement business? 8-)

hippiedalek wrote:
Welcome to the forum Sander! Laserdiscs must have been popular in the Netherlands as I've spotted a few members hailing from there. I hope you enjoy the forum!
I need to visit the Netherlands too...I enjoy travelling...so many places I still need to visit.

Hi hippiedalek, thanks for welcoming me here. Yeah, during the '90s there were indeed a few shops here specialized in laserdiscs. When most of those shops stopped selling them, one shop in Rotterdam (Rodisc) was one of the few who kept offering out-of-print discs and other collector items. Wishing you fun whenever you might visit Holland! :thumbup:

laserdiscvault wrote:
Welcome to the forum Sander! Your presentation made me smile and think back to my early memories of laserdiscs. People would always come into our home and I can remember everyone making similar remarks about our "Record Albums"! We then of course took that opportunity to go on and brag about our laserdiscs...fun memories!

Kevin

Hey Kevin, thank you as well for your message and funny story. I can imagine the expressions of your visitors which must've been priceless :lol:

Thanks again all and 'til later!
S.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 17:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good day lazerlyte (Sander)

Just read your post and thank you for sharing your Laserdisc experiences.

An enjoyable read of which I can relate to, as friends have come into my home and viewed most of my collection, which stands from floor to ceiling and they thought they were Vinyl LP's. They were shocked when I explained that they were Laserdisc movies.

Welcome to the site and shall look forward to corresponding with you at some stage.

Sincere Regards

:thumbup:

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 18:13 
Hi benmbe, thanks for your welcome and sharing your story. :D
All the best and 'til later 8-)

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 22:45 
Serious fan
Serious fan

lazerlyte wrote:
Aha okay, so we could have met before in the advertisement business? 8-)

Not exactly, we haven't ever met in person but our works are kind of on display at the same place 8-)

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]