It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:35

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Introduction and the start of my collection pictures!
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2020, 21:59 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Hi everyone, guess I'll start this from the very beginning with my LaserDisc interest.

My first introduction to actually understanding or even knowing what LD was would of been at Service Merchandise, via store and catalog in 1989-90 in the US, specifically the states of PA & NY. Then around 1994, in PA mostly now, I started taking my local bus to the mall an frequenting Suncoast video. This allowed me to scan through all the different LDs there. Back in the era of VHS quality (an usually rentals at that), LD looked incredible for picture quality, audio, packaging, commentary tracks, everything! ha. Some of the boxsets I saw (Ex: Brazil especially...) and packaging pretty much mesmerized me back then.

For better or worse, the Xennial micro generation definition fits my interests pretty well (analog childhood, digital adulthood) across the board, obviously this included LaserDisc. I was somewhat of a Carl Sagan fan as a child and the Voyager Golden records seemed so cool, an to me, a LD was like owning a movie, tv show, whatever on that golden record for myself. From probably 1989-90 until 2016, I always wanted one, but finding a working model at flea markets locally or paying $50-90 S&H on some auctions really killed the appeal. Then in late 2016, by a pure fluke, I received a Pioneer LaserDisc player.....an boy have I made progress.....including a 2nd LD player, ha.

Now, full disclosure, I owned about 16 LDs before I received my first player, but now I probably have close to 200 with about 100 pictured to a minimal extent here. I especially focus on collecting B movies (horror, scifi, comedy), Criterion Collection titles, comedy (stoner comedy/parody) and anything associated with the Monty Python crew. :) Back during my teenage years, I was equally into anime, now I sorta have disdain for it, ha. I still collect Japanese Director Satoshi Kon's (RIP) works and some classics though (Ex: Akira, Studio Ghilbi).

Having reduced activity due to covid-19 and the world seemingly going somewhat mad, I had a bit of free time on my hands as of late an thought to myself, "I wonder, a LaserDisc collecting community has to exist somewhere online" an one duckduckgo search later, here I am.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Edit: Fixed various typos

Last edited by stanley57 on 08 Jun 2020, 14:45, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Introduction and the start of my collection pictures!
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2020, 08:52 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Welcome to the madness Stanley,
You seem to have a collection to be proud of already!
Whats your favourite LD you own?
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2020, 09:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

First, Last and Everything LD please

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2020, 09:35 
True fan
True fan

Welcome mate! :thumbup:

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2020, 10:27 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Hello :thumbup: .

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2020, 14:42 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

jakeheke wrote:
Welcome to the madness Stanley,
You seem to have a collection to be proud of already!
Whats your favourite LD you own?

Definitely Brazil (cut and uncut) :) .....However, I'm super fond of owning Terry Gilliam's Trilogy of Imagination (https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/5enfkr/til_terry_gilliams_trilogy_of_imagination_time) - granted that is 3 different, separately packaged LDs, still holds the #2 spot for me altogether.

My favorite bizarre find: Dr. Alien - a 1989 softcore p0rn (often listed as a scifi comedy) take on Weird Science (sort of, seeing as how she was not an Alien in Weird Science). I've been able to watch about 10 minutes of it before just turning it off, lol.

How about you?

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2020, 16:04 
True fan
True fan

stanley57 wrote:

Definitely Brazil (cut and uncut) :)

The Brazil boxset sure is one of my favourite lds. I picked up the Japanese Indiana jones boxset not too long ago. Havent watched any yet but the box itself is beautiful. A faux leather finish with golden embossed lettering. It certainly feels like when they released boxsets like these, they were meant to be the definitive releases to have in your collection. An aquisiton to be proud of. You certainly wont get that kind of packaging on the bluray boxset.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2020, 16:12 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

That MCA Brazil is a cut that isn't on the Criterion DVD, I don't know if its actually released on DVD or Bluray.
Had it years ago and remember it being a different cut but don't remember the differences, could have been the US Theatrical or something like that.

Nice little collection.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]