It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 03:15

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hello From A Fan of Vintage Tech
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2021, 18:54 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hi to all here. I have had a decades long interest in the LD format- since I was a kid in the early 90s at least- and recently I finally decided to take the plunge and buy my first player, a CLD-D505. I only have a few discs so far, but I hope to see my collection grow more soon, especially if I can my hands on the films in my favorite horror franchise.

Now if only I can get my player working....

Post subject: Re: Hello From A Fan of Vintage Tech
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2021, 14:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i gazed upon an LD for the first time in memory, around 1996, when me and my folks were at our local FUTURE SHOP (before BEST BUY bought them out)
shopping for a new bedroom TV and VCR to replace the 1986/1987 HITACHI setup that finally zonked out on them.

i was still but a dumb fourteen-year-old, fairly bored within a veritable A/V gear paradise (by today's standards)
and just mindlessly and randomly stumbled upon a player (probably a CLD-S104) that expelled this giant-ass CD at the touch of a button.

i moved on without much further thought of it, but, the memory did stick,
and the impression eventually made it's indelible mark, else i likely wouldn't be here right now.

in any case, Welcome!!!

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2021, 16:08 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Get the player working before you buy another disc.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2021, 20:48 
Serious fan
Serious fan

That's a solid player to start with if you can get it running reliably.

My best advice is to pick up discs cheap when you can and don't get sucked into either collecting rare/valuable discs or upgrading the rest of your equipment to get the "most" out of LD... the "most" out of LD just isn't that much by modern standards and there's very little you can only watch on LD these days. Even spending $2K+ on a great player, video processor, AC3 demodulator, etc isn't going to touch a $15 BD player from Goodwill. I found my mid-level LD equipment (Pioneer D704, Denon AVD-2000) cheap and already had OK video processing in my AVR and projector... so even at only ~$200 in equipment currently, I've already hit the wall on what I see as reasonably justified by the output quality I get. I might add a DVDO iScan video processor if I stumbled across one for around $100 through some miracle, but even then I'd still probably think twice about it.

Most of the discs I pick up these days are under $3 at a huge used bookstore in Chattanooga, TN whenever I'm passing through. Most of those are films from the '60s-'80s that I wouldn't be looking for on BD/UHD, don't benefit hugely from improved PQ, and for $3 I can take a chance without much loss. Anything from the '90s onwards, I've found, is just much more enjoyable on a newer and higher-resolution medium. Most of the overuse of dynamic range compression common on early DVD release audio tracks is a thing of the past with BD, so that bastion of justification for sticking with LD just doesn't hold up, for the most part, anymore (with some notable exceptions, mostly on AC3 or DTS LDs that reused the theatrical mix unchanged). For PQ, I can handle a soft image on something from the '60s or '70s (Breakfast at Tiffany's, for example, holds up on LD reasonably well compared to BD) while anything from the late '80s to early '90s can leave a lot on the table (Apollo 13 on LD is nearly unwatchable compared to the BD release, much less the UHD disc).

It's fun if you're interested in old/obscure electronics but it just really isn't a great way to consume media anymore.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]