Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Does a LaserDisc/retro media convention exist? suggestio
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2021, 08:39 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

cplusplus wrote:
Kinda related to this- the forum broke a record a few days ago:
Most users ever online was 328 on 14 Sep 21, 5:47pm

That $100,000USD bargain must be snaked then surely.
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2021, 13:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

cplusplus wrote:

Interesting. I would guess that includes bots, in which case I wonder how many were bots.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2021, 13:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Please at least wait until we’re dead before you break all the players in shipping and make a graded copy of Hunt for Red October “worth” over $1.5M.

I watched a video about that sh!t the other day. The most infuriating part about it is the way the mainstream media just went along with propagating the fraud because none of them actually bothered to investigate the matter.

My mother actually showed me an article in a newspaper about the $1.5 mill Mario 64 and even though I know very little about the retro game market and I know some of them go for a lot, I knew immediately that at that kind of price there's no way there's anything perfectly legal going on behind this.

Last edited by takeshi666 on 18 Sep 2021, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2021, 14:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:
If you are okay with importing a copy, Second Sight released it in the UK on Blu back in 2017.

Jeff has it on his UK online shop.

https://secondsightfilms.co.uk/products ... ms-blu-ray

Thank You. alas, it is not only out of stock, but it is also Euro REGION-B. my BD player is un-modded, U.S. REGION-A PIONEER BDP-05FD...

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2021, 03:34 
Serious fan
Serious fan

16mm film collectors actually have a convention where they trade films and stuff. Now that's specialized, between the high prices for anything recent, on low fade Technicolor, etc. and just how many film collectors are around at this point.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2021, 14:35 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

gypsy wrote:
cplusplus wrote:

Interesting. I would guess that includes bots, in which case I wonder how many were bots.

You have to believe! :lol:

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2021, 18:56 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

harlock wrote:
16mm film collectors actually have a convention where they trade films and stuff. Now that's specialized, between the high prices for anything recent, on low fade Technicolor, etc. and just how many film collectors are around at this point.

Yes, but these are real people. They didn’t start collecting 16mm because it was Beanie Baby adjacent at the flea market. They aren’t retro gamers who moved into 16mm. If anything they are even scummier than gamers in some ways (a 16mmCon would be a great place for a Columbo script…) but they also can probably afford to fly to the show which is a requirement that would likely tank any LD con outside of LA, NYC, HK or three cities in Japan.

Honestly 16mm overall as a hobby could be massively more mainstream than LD. There have to be more working projectors and cameras and processing plants for 16mm STILL WORKING than all the LD players ever made. They don’t have to wonder if there will ever be a new 16mm real, they can make one and watch it tonight if they want.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2021, 00:41 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Yes, 16mm infrastructure is pretty solid at this point - film stock and processing is easy to get and will be around for awhile after support like bigshot directors (Nolan, Tarantino) advocating for film. The projectors are machines that can easily last a century or more, I have a 1940s Bell&Howell in great shape. Any good machine shop could replicate about any part in the worst case, nothing like the situation with video equipment. So film has similarity to vinyl in that it's a living format, and there's little otaku-ish content like all the anime etc. on LD to get those videogame crossover collectors - the handful of anime prints I have are oddball stuff from the Hollywood vault of a defunct localizer (Starzan eps, a Hurricane Polymar, "Lalabel" shoujo) and a 35mm print of Grave of the Fireflies (Russian dub! and I still have yet to find a 35mm PJ smaller than a Volkswagen, had to pass on a free one local because of the size).

Film collectors are some real characters, as I know a few (and have some prints myself). Sometimes like R. Crumb collecting blues 78s in "Crumb" or the record collectors in "Ghost World". Know someone who sold a print to Tarantino, and some other name directors, so yeah some well heeled players in the field, and the prices have gone way up on many titles. Yeah, some shady stuff as well like a guy with tons of Shaw Bros. prints, great stuff, but a weird and sketchy rep that makes it hard to buy from him.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2021, 04:18 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I pretty much love the record collectors in Ghost World.

That movie is so useful for referencing. “Blueshammer” is super effective as a noun or a verb. I absolutely love how useful Blueshammer is.

“Oh, JD and the Straight Shot? It’s basically a billionaire’s vanity Blueshammer project.”

“Geeze, that dentist on a Harley looks like someone hit him with the ol Blueshammer.”

“Scooter Jimmy’s? It’s this sort of combo bowling alley/Blueshammer kind of place. It sucks but the arcade is good.”

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2