It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 11:59

Page 35 of 44 [ 863 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2021, 11:58 
True fan
True fan

Good arrival today.

Attachments:
248891878_724313815196248_6151844753130510436_n.jpg
248891878_724313815196248_6151844753130510436_n.jpg [ 438.4 KiB | Viewed 2546 times ]

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2021, 13:20 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

rcarlson wrote:
Told myself I was freezing the expansion of my collection, but something kept nagging at me, namely how Legend of the Galactic Heroes

You are supreme. Remember that and search out the other box sets. The box condition is secondary, the original content, as observed by actual nerds in the 1990s is supreme. I would be surprised if your self taught Japanese allows you to fully comprehend LOGH dialogue. However if I am wrong then more power to you, you are a better man than me. If not then seek out a genlock and subtitles to allow you to fully appreciate this hardcore acquisition of supremacy. I watched the HK bootlegs in the early 2000s sourced from Sydney Chinatown. It was celebrated in my circle that Japanese fans would apparently send off for these episodes individually during the late '80s and '90s..Now you hold supremacy. You are SUPREME!

Last edited by pobodys_nerfect on 28 Oct 2021, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2021, 13:22 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

therussian wrote:
Good arrival today.

Hmm, Super Space Fortress Macross dub? That Mikimoto art is so good tho. Can't say I've seen that anywhere else. And I own many Mikimoto artbooks and Macross LDs..niceness..

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2021, 22:34 
True fan
True fan

What do you think about these 3 laserdiscs?

Attachments:
blade.jpeg
blade.jpeg [ 36.84 KiB | Viewed 2506 times ]
smallsoldiers.jpeg
smallsoldiers.jpeg [ 210.91 KiB | Viewed 2506 times ]
scaredstupid.jpeg
scaredstupid.jpeg [ 328.48 KiB | Viewed 2506 times ]

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2021, 03:31 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Under Siege 2. The only other Seagal disc I own is Under Siege (not counting Executive Decision). I never knew there was an Under Siege 2. I guess they even planned a part 3.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2021, 01:09 
True fan
True fan

I had $8.55 left on my gift card and ended up buying National Geographic laserdiscs for $8.53 after tax. Didn't know what else to spend the $$$ on. I almost picked up Jurassic Park but that seems to be so common and so cheap that if i really want to get that I can get that any time. I mostly picked these up for my Dad because I know he likes to watch this stuff and I also enjoyed watching these at my school. I think I may have even seen the Lion one before at my school but it probably would have been the vhs of it. I'm pretty sure my school didn't have a laserdisc player. I noticed the Lion one is selling for 20 bucks alone on Ebay so I think I got a decent deal on that. I also think I got a deal on Blade, Small Soldiers and Ernest scared stupid. I paid $27.67 for Ernest scared stupid which I guess isn't much of a deal because I've probably seen it selling in the past for around 30 bucks on ebay but I don't think it's a bad price for an Ernest holiday movie. If I remember correctly I paid probably around 30 bucks for Ernest Saves Christmas laserdisc in the past. I won Small Soldiers auction at $61.11 but after tax and shipping that one came to $70.83 which probably isn't that bad of a price for that movie since I seen one copy being sold of the ntsc version of Small Soldiers on lddb in the past for around I believe 75 or 80 bucks. This is also one of the rarer laserdiscs I've seen pop up online. I rarely see Small Soldiers NTSC laserdisc pop up online. I almost pulled the trigger and got it on here in the past but I missed the opportunity to get it and was lucky to find it on ebay since I believe this to be a rarer or harder to find laserdisc. And the final laserdisc I bought which was actually the first auction I won about a week or so ago was Blade and I won Blade for a great price. I paid $44.06 after taxes. I know Blade sells between $80-$100 on ebay so I think I got a pretty nice deal on Blade. Also I've seen National Geographic laserdiscs in the past being sold for like 25 bucks for a 5 set that I missed which I guess would have been a pretty sweet deal. However I wasn't interested in it at that time period and passed on it.

Attachments:
o0o0o0o.jpeg
o0o0o0o.jpeg [ 178.19 KiB | Viewed 2471 times ]

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2021, 16:30 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

got this to go with my Blondes and Brunettes 8" (wanting this for a long time) randomly interested in expanding my 8" collection so far haven't found a karaoke disc i really like

Nasty Ladies #1 (1992) [Z0295]

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2021, 03:36 
True fan
True fan

Forces of Nature fresh from Japan.

Attachments:
IMG_8258.JPG
IMG_8258.JPG [ 301.17 KiB | Viewed 2325 times ]

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2021, 01:00 
True fan
True fan

Paid a little under $61 dollars for this laserdisc. Apparently the Antz NTSC laserdisc is considered pretty rare. I believe someone bought it for around $111 dollars on lddb recently in June or July. The only reason I know that is because I read the buyers comment on another forum. So I got a pretty big deal on what I believe is very rare laserdisc. I still haven't captured this laserdisc but from what I've seen of it with my Panasonic LX-900 it's a pretty good widescreen release. I'm usually very critical when it comes to Widescreen on laserdiscs. I still believe no widescreen will ever beat 4:3 on laserdiscs but that's not to say that they are ugly or anything. They are definitely still watchable. At the moment I'm broke af so I don't know if i'm collecting at the moment. The problem is I keep finding deals on more expensive laserdiscs so I end up shelling out the $$$ that I really don't have. I'm going to be in debt soon. Well, I guess I can always resell and profit in the future if I end up with money problems. :lol:

One bad thing happened in the delivery of this Antz laserdisc. The upper left part of the box got a ding on it so I'm guessing someone at the mail place may have tossed the box fairly hard. The seller has packaged my other laserdiscs I got from him Blade and Small Soldiers pretty good so I'm not blaming the seller. It's just small ding but I know maybe some weirdos out there would try to take a lil value off this laserdisc. I don't think it really takes any value away from it because the case is still gorgeous and from what I can tell the movie plays fine but I didn't play it all the way through. Does anyone know if this movie has any laser rot issues? I haven't been able to watch all the way through because my Dad is at the hospital with my grandma. My grandma is sick and I hope she pulls through. I sadly can't even visit her because they limit how many people can visit her daily.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2021, 11:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Nice LD, wouldn’t mind that one myself although I doubt I’d pay anywhere close to even the bargain price you got yours for tbh.
Chances are the damage to your package weren’t caused by someone being malicious but more likely by the sorting machinery in the processing centre(s) it has passed through which are virtually all mechanised nowadays.

Hope your grandma makes a good recovery in time for Christmas, can appreciate it can’t be a very pleasant experience being hospitalised in these times, actually my mum spent several weeks in a hospital bed a year back recovering from a cancer related operation and unable to take any visitors whatsoever so can appreciate what you and your family must be going through also!
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2021, 18:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Scratch another one off the most wanted list.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2021, 02:32 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

takeshi666 wrote:

Scratch another one off the most wanted list.

Cool disc, enjoy.

Cheers :thumbup:

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2021, 10:51 
True fan
True fan

Was after this beauty for a while.

Attachments:
IMG_E8357.JPG
IMG_E8357.JPG [ 458.51 KiB | Viewed 2173 times ]

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2021, 11:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

therussian wrote:
Was after this beauty for a while.

I remember this was playing in the cinema at the same time as Varsity Blues and (i think) You've Got Mail. Can't believe that was 23 years ago. :crazy:

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2021, 16:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Some stuff arrived today just in time for Christmas. :thumbup:

First up a live concert, Judy & Mary - Miracle Night Tour 1996. This disc I got mainly for the lovely lenticular 3D cover artwork. When I looked at footage of the band online I liked what I heard so am pretty pleased with this disc. Always keen to listen to new things. From the little I've heard so far they sound a bit like the 1990's Seattle sound. Some Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Pixies thrown in with a bit of punk and new wave. It's an interesting mix.

Next up, the mighty New York Knicks!!! I was pointed to this through another LDDB member who mentioned it in a thread recently. Found a copy for sale for an instabuy. It features my favourite NBA player of all-time, the legend that is Patrick Ewing!!! :clap: He's featured on the back cover and also on the team sheet on the insert. Big Knicks and Mets fan so a no-brainer buy. Ewing is the man!

Note as well, the NBA official video catalogue. It differs slightly to another disc in this pack of purchases. I guess the Knicks disc is a later release?

Another NBA disc. I didn't really want it as I don't follow the Detroit Pistons. That said though it was there and super cheap so I'm not too fussed. It's a shame Robocop never got a chance to play for them. :thumbdown: Note the video catalogue here differs to the one on the Knicks insert?

All this talk of legends and here's another. Pluto! This is one of the Limited Edition Gold Series titles from Disney. I don't think I'll collect the set although it is tempting. Got this mainly because Pluto is just the best. Who doesn't love Pluto?! :thumbup:

This is another Disney Limited Edition Gold Series title. This time it's Donald Duck. I got this one as it features an uncensored cartoon which is not available (to the best of my knowledge) on any other format or release. Plus the Gold Series are a little more uncommon than other discs from the Globe-swallowing monopoly that is The Mouse and their armies of expensive lawyers.

Another title to add to my very small Virtual Trip collection. This time we are going to visit Tahiti! For anyone wondering, this disc also features 3D sound, just like the Bali Laserdisc in my collection. I love these discs and hope to collect more to go with my complete Virtual Drug set and all the other weird mind-altering titles in my collection.

An interesting one here is Kafka. I didn't realise that it wasn't available on DVD or Blu Ray! Anyway, apparently it will see an HD release. The bad news though is that it appears to be that any new release we may see will most likely be a new edit. So for now this Laserdisc holds up on two merits. First, it's currently the only way to get a home copy of the film. Second, it may be the only way to see the original version in future. There's an interesting write up here about the proposed re-edit: https://www.slashfilm.com/708448/hawkey ... -it-works/

Another title, like Kafka, that's a little bit stuck in limbo. The Rachel Papers does have a DVD release but is OOP (as far as I know). Prices vary from cheap to colossally stupid. Anyway, this is a good film (in my personal opinion) although fans of the book say it differs a little in places. I don't know, I've not read it. Note for any eagle eyes, Dexter Fletcher (who we all know from Press Gang don't we? :thumbup: ) went on to have quite the career, especially as a director. Pleased to have this disc. It will do the job very nicely until a Blu appears, hopefully.

No idea what this next film is. Apparently it's rather well known. Anyway, this is the original Japanese release which contains the original, and more importantly untouched 1973 Theatrical Version complete with the original audio track. So aside from the long OOP R1 DVD (which is the least messed about digital version of the original theatrical version), this is (as far as I know) the only way to get the original film in it's 100% original form and totally untouched. The gatefold opens out to display a great print of the Japanese lobby poster too!

Here's one to watch just after (or before) your Christmas lunch. Stick it on after the Queen's speech with a bottle of Warnincks and a pickled egg and enjoy about an hours worth of fatal motor racing crashes. :crazy:

Not a Laserdisc but I couldn't be bothered putting it in the tat thread. Got one of these robot vacuums whose name is what Bananarama took inspiration from for their hit single I Heard A Roomba.
And you certainly will with the f***ing racket this thing makes!

In all seriousness, I've been keen to get a robot slave to clean the gaf and this one from Will Smith's iRobot inc. is just the ticket! It's the most 'privacy-friendly' robot vacuum in the range as it has no cameras, works 100% offline and doesn't retain it's room mapping. Yet it's still a smart device and can be scheduled and so on with open source connectivity. We don't bother though and just start it manually when we need it.

Had this thing about a month now and have to say it's a total game changer. You'd still want to shampoo/mop/wash your floors of course, and perhaps do a vacuum of crevices and other harder to reach areas now and again. But yeah, this thing has been excellent. I'm going to look at getting a Braava Mop now, probably the 250 model as it's the most privacy-friendly in the range. These robot vacuums work. No going back. :thumbup:

Last up is Kill Bill on DVD. This is the Japanese release and comes with an exclusive replica jacket that The Bride wears in the film. This was a pre-order bonus available only through Jeff's online store in Japan. I'm well aware there's the two Premium Boxes of both films. I remember them from when they were first released. I don't want the tat to be honest. I just want to see the black and white bits in full colour and this is the only way to do that (aside from the Blu in South Korea that does have that B&W sequence in colour but only as an extra feature, it's not branchable in the disc).

A bit of aside tat (that keen motorists may be in to) that I got recently is a PHEV. I hate it though because now I've got a taste of EV's I want to go full EV. Don't know how many of you here drive EV's but I'm sold. I have the PHEV now but no way in hell will I go back to an ICE vehicle. EV and Hydrogen are the future. I don't want to visit a petrol station again. Thankfully with this new car I've had it over a month, done 100's of km's already and have yet to visit the pumps. Loads of petrol left! PHEV's are certainly a nice stepping stone to an EV. I think by the time I'm done with the PHEV the whole range anxiety thing should be almost a relic of the past. Even if it isn't a thing of the past, my next car will be full EV (or hydrogen if the infrastructure picks up). 100% and no question about it.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2021, 17:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Nice, I'm thinking about buying that LD of The Exorcist myself, but only if I can get my hands on the LD of the sequel as well which is a lot harder to come by.

Well, maybe not hard to come by, just expensive. :silent:

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2021, 17:20 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Those Disney ones are nice, I think I have two or three of them, very hard to find in a reasonable price.
May have Mickey, Minnie and I think a musical one? Silly Symphonies. There is also another gold set from Japan which I think is harder to find, can't remember now
the titles.

I won't own any Disney DVDs, had a few early on in my Disney media collecting and they just botch them hard, even if they don't try to.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2021, 18:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
Nice, I'm thinking about buying that LD of The Exorcist myself, but only if I can get my hands on the LD of the sequel as well which is a lot harder to come by.

I can't remember ever having seen The Exorcist II. Perhaps on television at some stage but if I did it wasn't exactly memorable. From what I've read the film was a mess and didn't turn out anything like originally intended. Curious to see it now though! Maybe if a decent Blu is out there I'll take a look.

@rein-o I had a look at the Pluto disc there and I agree with you, these are really nice discs. The picture and sound quality, on the Pluto disc at least, is absolutely sensational. Really very pleased with that disc. Hopefully the Donald Duck disc is just as good, especially the uncensored cartoon.

Took a very brief look at the Car Crashes disc. It's erm...it's.... yeah let's not go there. :sick: Who honestly thought in the 70's and 80's that a few sticks and some wire mesh would help to slow down cars going off track. Yes, I'm hurtling off a race track at 200mph. Flying face-first through barrier after barrier of chicken wire that will dice my limbs in their entirety is exactly what will help me! Followed by a stake through my skull and another through my heart. Yes, excellent safety ideas! :crazy:

There's two bits of footage there that I haven't seen before though that are quite disturbing (hold on to your stomach's). One is a guy in what appears to be a Formula 2 car (possibly F1 but if it is I've not seen this before). He loses control of the car while coming over a hump in the track. Car goes off, flips and falls apart. The worst part is you see the driver getting thrown out of the car like a rag doll and across the track out of view. Pretty horrifying stuff. :shock:

Worse though is some footage from what appears to be an Indy Car race. The cars are on the starting grid. Two cars, that appear to be team mates, have trouble getting away for the formation lap. One of the team engineers comes out to check the car in front that stalled. It looks like the other team car behind drives (not particularly fast) in to the back of his team mate in front. The footage skips for a second and you then see the nose and front wing of the car absolutely destroyed with the guy in front just sprawled across it twitching in a way that you can just tell is absolutely and 100% not going to end well for the poor man.

This is all played out to a bizarre choice of jolly 1970's disco music. It's really quite baffling stuff and I'm surprised a disc such as this was actually made. I've not watched the whole disc yet, it's not very long though, so I don't know if that's the worst of it or if it gets more gruesome towards the end. I think the overall message from this disc that you can take though is just what the hell were people thinking in terms of health and safety back then? The mind truly boggles.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2021, 19:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:

I can't remember ever having seen The Exorcist II. Perhaps on television at some stage but if I did it wasn't exactly memorable. From what I've read the film was a mess and didn't turn out anything like originally intended. Curious to see it now though! Maybe if a decent Blu is out there I'll take a look.

Apparently the version on LD is a longer home video cut which isn't on newer formats, hence the pricetag.

From what I understand, Boorman hated the original, Friedkin hated the sequel, and the whole thing sounds like a mess. Which is exactly the sort of thing I like :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2021, 07:09 
True fan
True fan

The last laserdisc I bought was on this website and the seller said he was going to send a paypal invoice and I accepted that way of paying but he still hasn't sent it. So I am a bit disappointed. Don't know if he is busy or if he is in the hospital or not. I have no idea what's going on and I've messaged him several times. I really hope he honors our contract since I paid what he listed the laserdisc at on this website. I need this laserdisc to complete my collection. If he honors our contract I'll leave him positive feedback and I will tell you all what it is. I'm afraid of saying what it is because on Ebay people are asking ridiculous prices for it. :lol: Also I'm giving the seller the benefit of the doubt and assuming he has just been very busy.

Page 35 of 44 [ 863 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 44  Next