It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:53

Page 37 of 44 [ 863 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2022, 20:15 
True fan
True fan

I'm pissed off which I guess it's better to be pissed off then to be pissed on but I'm worried I won't be getting my Deadtime Stories thanks to the USPS not doing their job yet again. This is probably about the 3rd time I can remember in recent memory where they lose my laserdisc by delivering it to the wrong house. I was told they have scanners so they should know who they accidentally delivered my mail to. Yet for some reason it seems too hard for them to go to the house and retrieve my package. I was lucky they finally found Demonic Toy a laserdisc I bought awhile ago but that one took longer than it should have. It's like it's rocket science to read a name and address and to drop it off at said address.

The other laserdisc that got lost because they delivered it to the wrong location was Heavy Metal. I love that they keep giving my stuff away to other people when I thought it's a federal crime to take packages that don't belong to a person even if the Mail Man accidentally drops it off at their house. I'm annoyed right now. I hope Deadtime Stories shows up because I'm not going to track that one down for 40 bucks plus tax. I feel like USPS should have to buy me that laserdisc and not just comp me the 20 bucks plus tax. It's b******t they lose my package and most likely will only reimburse the cash that was lost. I got a freaking deal on the laserdisc!

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2022, 23:46 
True fan
True fan

It's here thank god. I bitched at usps earlier saying they need to go track it down and get it from the person they accidentally delivered it to. They obviously listened because it showed up. :lol:

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2022, 02:40 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Glad to hear it, we've had mail stolen and its a PITA to deal with for this small priced stuff.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2022, 21:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

These arrived today. A couple of which I've been looking out for a long while.

First up is the wonderful A Night On The Town Adventures In Babysitting. I've been after this one a while. I think it's an open matte or something. I forget now but it took a long enough time to show up. Also note the cover art is the same censored/altered (delete as applicable) image as was used for the USA lobby poster. The UK version of Adventures In Babysitting A Night On The Town has Mrs. Shue in a black and white (i'm sure there is a red and white version too) dress and high heels. I haven't found out yet why the lobby poster art was altered. For the record, the same poster art was used in magazines in the UK/Ireland. I recall seeing the same poster on an A4 full page in Look-In magazine back in 1987 (for the record, I remember seeing a poster for Young Einstein in Look-In magazine too).

Not sure what I'm going on about? Here's the poster comparison:

And here's a German version of the same UK poster (I found a Nordic one too):

And finally the USA version:

Note that the Japanese cover on my Laserdisc edition differs even more in that the cast are climbing a glass roof rather than a concrete wall. I wonder how many more variations of the poster exist?

Next up is Nemesis. I already have this on Blu but I didn't like the transfer that was done of the Japanese LD-only extended (not director's) cut version. So I decided to hunt down the actual Laserdisc instead and watch that. It took a long enough time for one to show up but I got it as soon as I saw it. :thumbup:

Last up is John Wayne Bobbit's, The Alamo: A Rental Car Company Epic. This is the extremely long version that is now lost that fellow forum user sdraper was on about on his Alphabet video platform channel. This box set is basically mint condition. Very impressed. Not sure I'll enjoy Hollywood's favourite white supremacist's magnum opus, but I suppose I'll give it a go some day. Incidentally, both Nemesis and A Night On The Town are in mint condition pretty much too. Lucked out there! :)

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2022, 06:09 
True fan
True fan

Warning Screen Test is absolutely not for children. I know children might see worse things on the internet now a days but just wanted to throw that out there. Some people buy stuff for their children without knowing what it is.

Bought a copy of Screen Test for 23 bucks on ebay. I thought it was last copy but it turned out seller had 2 other copies. Annoys me when Sellers use that as a gimmick to sell laserdiscs. They'll pretend there's only one left but then put more up after you buy it. Either way the movie itself was a fine Adult Comedy movie but the disc itself suffered from mild laserdisc rot and of course one of the scenes where Michelle Bauer gets nakey in a bed is one of the scenes that show rot. Obviously it's a gamble buying new laserdiscs so it's not like i can complain to seller. He literally couldn't test it if it's not open and most laserdisc sellers probably didn't even have a player. I think the only time a laserdisc can be sent back is if it's used and opened. It's buyer beware when it comes to New Laserdisc. Also my Dad has a bad eye and didn't even notice the rot as much as me. The movie was watchable but just disappointed a couple scenes had noticeable mild rot with pop ups on the screen. It's light rot compared to rot i've seen on other laserdisc. The worst type of rot is non-stop white snow effects which I have with a widescreen copy of Fright Night. That is the worst laserdisc rot I've seen and it makes Fright Night unwatchable for me on laserdisc.

Attachments:
hiiiiii.jpeg
hiiiiii.jpeg [ 147.52 KiB | Viewed 3202 times ]

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2022, 17:42 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I can't buy sealed discs for top dollar, unless you are willing to take the risk.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2022, 01:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

My last acquisition was "Logan's Run" from Japan.

Found a sealed off the beaten path late release from 1999.
Had to ......

Damn I love this media !

Cheers mates.....

You can all camp at my place when zombiecron variant hits ! ! !

Just bring popping corn ! ! !

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2022, 10:25 
True fan
True fan

Pretty sweet package from Japan.

Always wanted to have 4:3 aspect ratio version of the trilogy. And that box set is the mintest one I so far encountered.

Attachments:
IMG_E8644.JPG
IMG_E8644.JPG [ 477.25 KiB | Viewed 3142 times ]

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2022, 14:32 
True fan
True fan

Paid 18 dollars more on this auction I sniped when about 5 days later another auction sold for about 40 bucks plus tax. So the other buyer saved about 16 bucks. I thought the 3 other people were going to fight it out for that one so that's why I decided to go with the one that ended up costing more. Also the seller listed tested so if there's any issues it will be easy to send right back to the seller.

Attachments:
disturbing behavior.jpeg
disturbing behavior.jpeg [ 386.22 KiB | Viewed 3117 times ]

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2022, 17:14 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Saw them live this past New Years Eve. Kick a** show even though the remaining original members are in their 70s.

Decided to grab this one to see more of their live performances.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2022, 08:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Found a old Australian-New Zealand classic
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2022, 10:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just went HAM and bought every volume of LOST IN SPACE box sets minus VOL. 3.
Felt all five box sets were reasonably priced although shipping was kinda high. Balanced out after all was said and done so still a decent purchasing experience.
Good condition, Obi Strips solid bands intact, and inner jackets and platters more or less pristine.

Loved the series as a kid and treated myself to these box volumes for all the insane overtime shifts I am working since late august during the stupid covid surge on the east coast.
My store is still closed and I have no laserdisc player even setup to play LD currently, though temporary.

Cannot wait to revist the franchise that was airing when I was born circa 1966.
Lost in Space ...... kinda symbolic to how I am feeling lately being between homes.

Cheers mates

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2022, 16:55 
True fan
True fan

I bought this off ebay for cheap because the cover was water damage and the seller said he/she tested the disc and that it works great. The seller also told me he or she has an account here. They gave me a name to the account on here but I do not know if they want that to be public knowledge so I will not give that name out. If they want to be known maybe he or she will reply to the topic. The Pit and the Pendulum copies on ebay and on lddb sell for over 25 dollars. If bought here I'd have to include shipping I think or is shipping included in the final price? I forget because haven't bought on lddb in awhile. This copy was being sold by the seller for $6.99 but had about 4 dollars in shipping and tax so it came to about $12.25. So paid less than half it would cost if bought else where. Always searching for deals on lds. Full moon typically has great looking laserdiscs video quality wise so I like getting their stuff though sometimes their movies aren't all that good. I guess they are campy or cheesy which ever word best describes it.

Attachments:
lobr.jpeg
lobr.jpeg [ 270.36 KiB | Viewed 2989 times ]
lobr2.jpeg
lobr2.jpeg [ 374.34 KiB | Viewed 2989 times ]
lobry3.jpeg
lobry3.jpeg [ 213.59 KiB | Viewed 2989 times ]

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2022, 09:14 
True fan
True fan

Had some money left on my gift card that I bought a Retrobit Prism HDMI adapter for my gamecube and I ended up buying a brand new cheap as dirt copy of LifeForce. I know it's a gamble buying new laserdiscs but it's whatever. This also happens to be from the same guy I bought the water damaged copy of Pit and the Pendulum from. I believe this is water damaged too but I can't tell from the pictures because looks New to me. I hope I didn't end up buying a laserdisc with rot but if I did it is what it is. I didn't pay much for it. Life Force in general usually sells cheap online on lddb and ebay. I've seen used copies go for between 10-13 bucks on ebay. I have a decent amount of horror space movies in my laserdisc collection even though this one doesn't take place in space very long if my memory serves me correctly. Oh yeah then I had like 2 bucks and 40 something left on my gift card so I bought Alan Wake Nightmare something on steam since it was on sale and looked like a half decent game.

Attachments:
lifeforce 1.jpeg
lifeforce 1.jpeg [ 228.8 KiB | Viewed 2958 times ]
lifeforce2.jpeg
lifeforce2.jpeg [ 334.79 KiB | Viewed 2958 times ]

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2022, 10:14 
True fan
True fan

The Pit and the Pendulum is a pretty good looking release. When I get the time I'll capture it with Hauppauge PVR and post some screenshots of it. Full Moon always has great laserdisc releases. Wait was Dolls a Full Moon movie? That is not a great laserdisc release but would be an exception to the rule. My copy of Pit and the Pendulum, Demonic Toys, and Dollman vs Demonic toys all look great Video Quality wise.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2022, 00:59 
Serious fan
Serious fan

jesuslovesgood wrote:
The Pit and the Pendulum is a pretty good looking release. When I get the time I'll capture it with Hauppauge PVR and post some screenshots of it. Full Moon always has great laserdisc releases. Wait was Dolls a Full Moon movie? That is not a great laserdisc release but would be an exception to the rule. My copy of Pit and the Pendulum, Demonic Toys, and Dollman vs Demonic toys all look great Video Quality wise.

Hi jesuslovesgood,

Dolls was an Empire Pictures film released on laserdisc by Image Entertainment. It was not a Full Moon release like the others you mentioned. Although my copy of Dolls looks good, yours might very well not. It was an earlier Image release, pressed at 3M, so your copy might be one of the unfortunate ones which could suffer from rot, as some 3M pressings from a certain time period do. I agree with you that the Full Moon releases as a general rule look outstanding. They wisely chose to have all of their releases pressed at Pioneer, which means excellent transfer quality and virtually zero occurrence of rot! :clap: If only the other publishers had chosen as wisely! Alas, many of them did not. :( That's why the publishers who chose poorly (like Columbia Tristar) suffered astronomical failure rate of many of their titles. :cry: If I had been in charge of production at one of the publishers, I would have sent everything to Pioneer for pressing. However, I'm sure many of the other plants offered cheaper prices than Pioneer. Well, as they say, you get what you pay for. Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work isn't good!

Best Regards,
David :wave:

p.s. You shouldn't have any problem with that copy of Lifeforce either. It's an MGM/UA release, and they, like Full Moon, also chose very wisely to have virtually everything they released pressed at Pioneer. I think you will find yourself to be in great shape on that disc, my friend! :D

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2022, 07:28 
True fan
True fan

Nope I just think the quality sucks. There's no rot on my copy of Dolls. I've only tested Dolls in my Pansonic laserdisc players LX-900 and LX-H670. Didn't think it looked that good. It might beat the VHS copy of the film but I doubt it's by a lot. I feel like Full Moon laserdiscs beat their VHS counterparts by a lot and look very close to dvd 4:3 dvds. With that said I'm happy to have Dolls in my laserdisc collection. It is an awesome movie even if I'm nitpicking on the quality. Some scenes are extremely dark and I know on the blu-ray you can see things clearer in some of the dark scenes. Mostly the beginning of the movie when they are driving I can barely see the actors in the car. I'm not just comparing it to a bluray of it either. I'm compare it to other laserdisc releases and I feel like other companies have better looking releases. Maybe I'll post some dolls screenshots on the screenshot thread in the future. I might be nitpicking too much but I am also more impressed by other releases.

laserking wrote:

p.s. You shouldn't have any problem with that copy of Lifeforce either. It's an MGM/UA release, and they, like Full Moon, also chose very wisely to have virtually everything they released pressed at Pioneer. I think you will find yourself to be in great shape on that disc, my friend! :D

I own a copy of Puppet Masters that has only one side of the film printed on it. So Pioneer obviously isn't perfect. Always a risk buying new stuff.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2022, 11:57 
True fan
True fan

Newest package from Japan.

Attachments:
275490320_804333727194256_5291142445022453587_n.jpg
275490320_804333727194256_5291142445022453587_n.jpg [ 465.28 KiB | Viewed 2817 times ]

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2022, 09:39 
True fan
True fan

I see some youtubers bragging about buying new laserdiscs and some of them are crazy enough to shell out 80 or 100 dollars for them. Boy are they going to be mad if they open that laserdisc and it has rot or other issues. As far as I know can't refunds on new laserdiscs unless seller is ridiculously nice. Hell, it's hard enough to get refunds on used ones that may or may not have issues. I ask sellers if they test'em out before they send'em and they tell me they do and most sellers tell me if I have an issue with them they'll refund em. So apparently I'm a trustworthy guy. They need to be cautious though because I'd imagine some people aren't truthful and will try to pull something. I guess most of us collectors have good honest hearts though. :lol:

Anyways, I bought 3 more laserdiscs to add to my ridiculous large collection. Well over a hundred laserdiscs is a lot to me personally. I'm sure I dwarf some of you collectors. I picked up The Blob 1988 which I really wanted for the longest time but was worried about getting it because sellers on ebay and on lddb reviews on it have warned me about it being a rotter. However the person I bought from on Ebay told me he/she tested it out and that it's in great working condition with no rot. I've actually been running into a decent amount of sellers who claim they have laserdisc players to test these out. I don't know if they are telling the truth or not but I am assuming they are because these are sellers that are typically selling large amounts of laserdiscs. I guess they're going to need something to test out the discs if they're selling so many.

Attachments:
s-l1600.jpeg
s-l1600.jpeg [ 262.88 KiB | Viewed 2781 times ]
s-l1601.jpeg
s-l1601.jpeg [ 299.75 KiB | Viewed 2781 times ]
s-l1602.jpeg
s-l1602.jpeg [ 289.36 KiB | Viewed 2781 times ]

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2022, 16:06 
True fan
True fan

Which youtubers ?

Page 37 of 44 [ 863 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 44  Next