It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:04

Page 22 of 24 [ 465 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Laserdisc Screenshot Thread
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2022, 20:28 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I really hope you don’t take this wrong but you did ask; and to my eyes a lot of those captures do look rather soft and lacking in definition to my eyes and especially so considering the small scale of the shots, to be honest the last Austin Powers stills are head and shoulders above most of the others so can I ask your opinion of how they compare to what you see when viewing them directly on your home tv or projector display e.g. sharper, more pop etc. genuine question btw.
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2022, 01:23 
True fan
True fan

laserfanhld-gb wrote:
I really hope you don’t take this wrong but you did ask; and to my eyes a lot of those captures do look rather soft and lacking in definition to my eyes and especially so considering the small scale of the shots, to be honest the last Austin Powers stills are head and shoulders above most of the others so can I ask your opinion of how they compare to what you see when viewing them directly on your home tv or projector display e.g. sharper, more pop etc. genuine question btw.

Hauppauge PVR sucks with the colors. If I capture with non-hd elgato the colors would pop out more but at a cost of the bitrate. i keep capturing with Hauppauge PVR because it benefits with a higher bitrate. I have not watched Austin Powers on our tv yet so I can't tell you how good it looks in person. Based off the screenshots it's definitely one of the better releases but Wild Wild West looked like a DVD release on our TCL 65 inch 4k tv. Hauppauge PVR is messing withe colors a bit. It's one of the better ld releases. Also I think Austin Powers wasn't hurt as much by Hauppauge PVR because of the vibrant colors in that movie. No matter what I capture Austin Powers with it's bound to look pretty good. Hey if you guys have anything that can capture better than non-hd elgato or Hauppauge pvr version 1 then feel free to send me another capture device. :lol:

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2022, 06:44 
True fan
True fan

I do not know if this is allowed on this forum and if it is not I do apologize. Here are clips of the laserdisc from my Iphone 6s recording it off a TCL 65 inch 4k tv. It will probably look better in colors than what was shown in the screenshots. I was originally going to upload to youtube but realized youtube would compress the video file too much and youtube loves to take down clips I post of movies. Which is kind of funny since they have a zillion clips of each movie on their platform. :lol:

Wild Wild West laserdisc clips: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D_qp4YO_Z7lY8xhxRDVETNKiqsMR5U1r/view?usp=sharing

Austin Powers laserdisc clips: https://drive.google.com/file/d/188uQkerQb_LY9VN_Tw1ReIDgKw3u_y7v/view?usp=sharing

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2022, 16:20 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Sadly it doesn’t appear that I’m able to either view or download any of those clips as Google says no haha! I’ll just have to take your word for it, can’t you send a few screenshots for comparison using your iPhone rather than capturing - can appreciate its not easy but if you go for a scene with little or no motion I’ve usually had an acceptable result. Back to Austin Powers, I’ve read several very positive comments about the LD PQ of that movie over the years so definitely appears to be a great transfer, when I get a chance I’ll post some myself but the only ones I have available atm are from Hi-Vision LD so not really acceptable or fair to post them on this thread.
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2022, 17:32 
True fan
True fan

Wild Wild West

Austin Powers International Man of Mystery

The vibrant colors will fool you. Great Colors on Austin Powers but I do think Wild Wild West wins overall. It's really not fair to judge just on screen captures and recordings from an old iphone 6. I would say this about these two releases. I think the sharper colors and sharper picture are on Wild Wild West even if you can't tell that from the pictures I posted. There is absolutely no reason for me to BS. Then again I guess all our eyes work differently. I do wear prescription glasses. The colors used in a movie based on the 60s with it's beautifully vibrant colors definitely pops out on screen on the laserdisc version of Austin Powers. There's just a lack of detail at times or kind not a crisp look image at times when in motion and watching it in person. I feel like Austin Powers ld benefits heavily from the vibrant colors that when I take a still shot it fools people.

No way am I saying Austin Powers is a bad release. It is not and if I hadn't had Wild Wild West in my collection then I'd probably give the nod to Austin Powers. However I feel like the really vibrant colors of the Austin Powers is kind of fooling the eyes a bit especially on captures and recordings. If I had to rate the releases I'd give Wild Wild West a 10/10 which isn't shocking since it's one of the two last releases from Warner Brothers and Austin Powers about a 9/10. It's close but I personally believe Wild Wild West is just a notch above the Austin Powers release. Both film releases could probably fool people into thinking it's a dvd. Warner Brothers and Image did a terrific job on each release. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you think Austin Powers is the better release so be it. Watching in person I would disagree.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2022, 19:14 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

jesuslovesgood wrote:
The vibrant colors will fool you. Great Colors on Austin Powers but I do think Wild Wild West wins overall. It's really not fair to judge just on screen captures and recordings from an old iphone 6. I would say this about these two releases. I think the sharper colors and sharper picture are on Wild Wild West even if you can't tell that from the pictures I posted.

No way am I saying Austin Powers is a bad release. It is not and if I hadn't had Wild Wild West in my collection then I'd probably give the nod to Austin Powers. However I feel like the really vibrant colors of the Austin Powers is kind of fooling the eyes a bit especially on captures and recordings.

Not sure how old you are and if you had experience with CRT sets, red colors bleeding etc, other terms I can't remember right now.

But the reason why something like Austin Powers would in the reviews be a 10 out of 10 and nobody would think twice about WWW
is that, the colors.

NTSC had a hard time working on colors, I don't know the true facts but I know that CRT only had so many colors, 3 and lasers or guns to
shoot those colors where newer sets have each pixel shooting those colors or something like that so you can get
better color representation on the newer sets.

And for something like AP to get that great of an image with such lower quality technology was an achievement at the time.
I remember as a kit seeing a camcorder recording that my father did and a relative had a red sweater, looked like crap on grandmas TV
but when we got home it looked fine, because we had a S-Video 450 lines of resolution and grandparents only had the cheap older TV
with the 220 or whatever it was.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2022, 11:51 
True fan
True fan

Player: Panasonic LX-900 revision 1995

Capture Device: Hauppauge PVR (Yes I'm still using it even though most including myself believes Elgate Non-HD captures better colors. I just like the higher bitrate since I stream these for a friend and Elgato only has 2500 which shockingly enough is not good enough for laserdisc. I definitely notice a quality difference. Yes I wish I had a better capture program but it is what it is. I don't think Hauppauge PVR is as awful as some of you say it is but I do think the colors aren't as nice and it shows more on certain movies for some odd reason. I also can't think of many devices that would be better that connect with composite. I notice some of these devices being sold only do hdmi and it seems like too much effort to do hdmi to composite with adapters.

Movie: Nightmare on Elm Street 6, A: Freddy's Dead - The Final Nightmare (1991) [ID2169LI]

Info: Get your 3d glasses since I took screenshots of some of the 3d segments of this laserdisc. Also these are jpgs not png. Should load quicker for slower connections and I don't know if there's a huge quality difference between jpg and png. Also, some of you may have already known this if you read the last laserdisc topic at all but getting a good copy of this movie was a pain in the a** for me. The first Freddy's Dead copy I got had laserdisc rot and the seller let me keep the disc and the glasses which was nice of him/her and then I ordered a second copy of it from Germany and it's a good copy of it with little to no artifacts. I don't believe the second copy I got which is from the screens below has any rot or if it does it's so minor not noticeable. Just warning others since this laserdisc might be a rotter depending where it was manufactured or how poorly someone may have taken care of it.

Screens:

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2022, 16:07 
True fan
True fan

On my 4k 32 inch 1800r curved monitor Pinocchio's revenge's Revenge laserdisc still looks like the best 4:3 laserdisc screen grabs in the screenshot Thread from my perspective. Can you guys think of a better 4:3 movie or do you think Pinocchio's revenge's Revenge is the clear winner? I'm not asking what you think of the movie. I know some people think it's sucks. I personally like the movie and it does have a beautiful nanny in it that shows the goods. ;).

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2022, 18:38 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Here's another good comparison...

The academy ratio version of Adventures in Music: Toot Whistle Plunk and Boom (1953). It was originally released in CinemaScope, which is currently found on the Disney Rarities DVD and Fantasia 2000 DVD.

Walt Disney Home Video Cartoon Classics Limited Gold Edition: Disney's Best: The Fabulous '50s (1984) (1986 JP LD)

Disney's Sing Along Songs Vol. 11: 101 Notes of Fun (1994) (1995 JP LD)

The transfer on the "Fabulous '50s" LD is very dark and blue-tinted compared to the transfer they used as clips on "Disney's Sing Along Songs".

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2022, 07:46 
True fan
True fan

Capture Device: Hauppauge PVR

Movie: Pit and the Pendulum, The (1990) [LV12893]

Info: Absolutely not for children.

Screens:

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2022, 05:49 
True fan
True fan

Capture Device: Hauppauge PVR and re-encoded with handbrake to make a file file size. Don't know if it will hurt the quality but I doubt it.

Movie: Elvira, Mistress of the Dark (1988) [ID6289NW]

Screens:

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2022, 09:44 
True fan
True fan

Capture Device: Hauppauge PVR and re-encoded with handbrake to make a file file size. Don't know if it will hurt the quality but I doubt it.

Movie: Rumpelstiltskin (1995) [LV26206]

Screens:

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2022, 15:00 
True fan
True fan

Movie: Dark Tide (1993) (Uncut) [LDCVM5850] (Not for Children)

Screens: JPG format

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2023, 00:11 
True fan
True fan

Capture Device: Hauppauge PVR S-video and I believe Optical audio capture

Movie: Bride of Chucky (1998) [LD 83749-WS]

Screens:

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2023, 07:59 
True fan
True fan

Player: Pioneer CLD-53

Capture Device: Hauppauge PVR Composite for both the video and audio

Movie: Tourist Trap (1979) [LV13002]

Screens:

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2023, 13:27 
True fan
True fan

Player: Pioneer CLD-53

Capture Device: Hauppauge PVR Composite for both the video and audio

Movie: Dark Tide (1993) (Uncut) [LDCVM5850]

Info: I don't notice much different about the image quality. I think I messed with the color settings on Hauppauge on my original capture with the LX-900 1995 revision. The biggest difference I notice is that less of the screen is cut off since LX-900 has that weird defect. Overall I think Pioneer CLD-53 is producing a pretty good image. With that said I still haven't tested this player out on a bigger 65 inch 4k tv. However based off these screens I think the quality is not much different than the so called high end LX-900 player. Obviously Panasonic benefits from still frame and other issues that can benefit on both CLV and CAV. However if people are just watching the movie and aren't concerned with freeze framing then I think there's nothing wrong with this player and you get the full picture. I did have to repair the player because it had problems opening up the drawer and auto reversing or reading on side B. Don't know if that could be a problem down the future with this player because I don't know enough about the Pioneer CLD-53 and possible issues with it. The main benefit of my LX-900 is that it just works and I haven't had any issues with it but with that said I'm not too sure the previous owner or owners of my LX-900 used it often and maybe that's why it's LIKE NEW condition cosmetically and internally.

Screens:

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2023, 12:58 
True fan
True fan

I have question and would like a reply. Do you think my Hauppauge PVR captures the analog source of laserdisc the best out of any other capture device? Is there any other capture device that could do any better or if it does would it only be a tiny bit better and negligible in quality? Obviously we are talking about an older Video format here that is between vhs and dvd quality. I think bitrate wise it's doing a pretty good job but I do feel like Elgato VHS capture device had the better overall colors but you could also tell in motion that bitrate was an issue on Elgato. I'm not sure if there's a capture device that combines the colors of Elgato VHS capture and Hauppauge PVR bitrate. I think that would be the the perfect capture. However I don't even know if the colors on elgato are accurate to what the laserdisc would look in person. I just know by screen captures it seems like El gato had the better colors. I think it gave off more of a dvd like vibe in the color department.

An example is Pinnochio's Revenge which is a gorgeous laserdisc release. I feel like Elgato VHS capture device or whatever it's called the non-hd/non-hdmi Elgato did a better job with the colors but I don't know if that's a 100 percent or 90 percent accurate representation of the original colors and also the bitrate sucks when I play it back on my computer but the screen captures look gorgeous. Also still don't understand why this lower budget horror movie got such a great looking release on laserdisc by Pioneer. I mean I'm happy that Pioneer did this but at the same time I kind of find it weird. While the actors in this movie have recognizable faces they aren't A listers making the millions. Maybe this movie had a limited print number. Either way I find it kind of bizarre.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2023, 17:01 
Honest fan
Honest fan

jesuslovesgood wrote:
I have question and would like a reply. Do you think my Hauppauge PVR captures the analog source of laserdisc the best out of any other capture device? Is there any other capture device that could do any better or if it does would it only be a tiny bit better and negligible in quality? Obviously we are talking about an older Video format here that is between vhs and dvd quality. I think bitrate wise it's doing a pretty good job but I do feel like Elgato VHS capture device had the better overall colors but you could also tell in motion that bitrate was an issue on Elgato. I'm not sure if there's a capture device that combines the colors of Elgato VHS capture and Hauppauge PVR bitrate. I think that would be the the perfect capture. However I don't even know if the colors on elgato are accurate to what the laserdisc would look in person. I just know by screen captures it seems like El gato had the better colors. I think it gave off more of a dvd like vibe in the color department.

An example is Pinnochio's Revenge which is a gorgeous laserdisc release. I feel like Elgato VHS capture device or whatever it's called the non-hd/non-hdmi Elgato did a better job with the colors but I don't know if that's a 100 percent or 90 percent accurate representation of the original colors and also the bitrate sucks when I play it back on my computer but the screen captures look gorgeous. Also still don't understand why this lower budget horror movie got such a great looking release on laserdisc by Pioneer. I mean I'm happy that Pioneer did this but at the same time I kind of find it weird. While the actors in this movie have recognizable faces they aren't A listers making the millions. Maybe this movie had a limited print number. Either way I find it kind of bizarre.

Have you ever tried a Canopus ADVC? If your PC had a Firewire port, or a Thunderbolt port and a Firewire adapter, you could capture all LD's. I'm not sure about bitrate or color differences, but I've captured with the Canopus ADVC-110 and WinDV. And by toggling the switches underneath ADVC-110, I always toggle the 5 switch to Level 0 IRE for capturing Japan LD's and Level 7.5 IRE for US LD's.

Maybe you've seen my posts that were done this way. You'll also see that before that, I used Roxio Easy VHS to DVD before it made my PC shut down at random points for no reason!

Anyhow, Easy VHS to DVD captures .mpg files of 8,000kb/s, while Canopus ADVC-110 captures 24.4MB/s .avi files.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2023, 02:23 
True fan
True fan

Player: Pioneer Elite CLD-53

Capture Device: Hauppauge PVR Composite for video and optical for audio

Movie: Faculty, The (1998) [15972 AS]

Screens:

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2023, 16:53 
True fan
True fan

Player: Pioneer CLD-3080

Capture Device: Hauppauge PVR S-video for video and optical for audio

Movie: Small Soldiers (1998) [ID5914DW]

Info: Comparing the bluray release to the laserdisc release. I think the laserdisc holds up well considering it's a format from the late 70s.

Screens:

Last edited by jesuslovesgood on 09 Mar 2023, 18:39, edited 1 time in total. _________________
CLD-99, CLD-3080, CLD-53, and LX-900

Page 22 of 24 [ 465 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next