It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:10

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Alamo: Which version of Wayne's magnificent octopus?
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2021, 15:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Hello.

I saw this chap on Alphabet's popular social media video platform last night. I forget his name it's something like Cosmic Crusader or something like that. He has a rake of Laserdiscs and was going through a bunch of box sets he owns. A really knowledgable guy and puts out great content. :thumbup: :clap: Not the usual narcissistic influencer-riddled capitalist diarrhoea that this particular platform (and the modern world) is drowning in.

Anyway. This bloke starts going on about The Alamo and that the Laserdisc edition of the long version is likely going to be the only way we'll ever see it again because the negatives are absolutely shagged out and beyond restoration. Apparently due to studio negligence with regards looking after the print.

So anyway, I had a look at the USA edition and people want in excess of $658,912 for it. Jog on! I don't even like John Wayne or his films! :lol:

I did find that Japanese editions of the 'long version' are far more affordable. So for someone like me who just wants to watch the film because a) I've never seen it and b) it's the only way we'll apparently ever see the 'long version', my question is, is the Japanese version worth getting? How does it compare to the USA release? Is it the same just different box art? I note too that the hard subtitles are displayed outside of the picture. So if I employ my DVDO VP50 Pro I'll be able to cover over them anyway with the thing that does something to the thing (I forget what it is now but it does something or other anyway).

Any thoughts on the magnum octopus by Hollywood's favourite white supremacist :sick: and which version of it is the best on Laserdisc? :think:

Post subject: Re: The Alamo: Which version of Wayne's magnificent octopus?
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2021, 18:45 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Yes you can mask the subtitles if they are outside the image. I don’t own any of the LD editions (maybe I do, I need to check) but I watched the theatrical release recently and it was long. I don’t know if the long version is all that necessary. Sometimes there is a hype around these LD only cuts and the prices are inflated. I have the song of the south which I paid like $60 a long while ago. After watching it, I thought $60 was too much. But people seek after these like they are the next best thing. Maybe you should watch it on streaming and see if you like the movie before spending a lot on it.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2021, 20:45 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I used to own the Japanese LD, that and the USA one that is designated as directors cut are the only way to get the film.

I may have started a topic or posted once, may have been nissling or someone else who said or may have even been about another film.
I'm only going by memory and this isn't an exact quote. The extras aren't good enough for remastering at 4K or Bluray so it won't happen.

I never saw the film in the shorter cut or if I even remember seeing it, but it was a long film, don't know about too long but I sold it off.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2022, 05:33 
True fan
True fan

I think you may be referring to my channel Damn Fool Idealistic Crusader. Thanks for the shoutout.
With the Alamo and its roadshow cut there is now another pricey option. Koch Media did a deluxe Blu-ray German release of the theatrical cut and included a second disc with the roadshow version. They had to use the LD master to splice in the extra material into the HD master of the theatrical cut. It's not perfect but they did the best with what they were given access to. Unfortunately this set sold out before I could get one and also didn't use the 5.1 ac3 of the later and much rarer Laserdisc-instead it's using the 2.0 surround of the older LD boxset.

You can see the theatrical cut easily on DVD or elsewhere or even get the cheap letterbox theatrical LD and see if you like the film at all first. The roadshow version is better and the studio did indeed let the lone 70mm print rot. The first LD box has Dolby surround and can be found for $20-40 when it does pop up if people aren't over charging. The ac3 reissue is much harder to find, came out years later and has nearly identical cover art. It can go for $50-100 when it pops up but it you're patient you can find either LD box for cheap on the rare occasions when it does appear. Our local Half Price Books put out a lot of discs recently that were mostly overpriced but they did have the first non-ac3 box for $15.

The Japanese versions will use the same MGM/UA master and thus should be equivalent but add subtitles.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2022, 11:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Keep up the great work with your videos and thanks for the insight on The Alamo. I have the Japanese set on the way. Hopefully the subtitles are in the black bar area with that release.

I've seen examples of HD releases with SD splices before. Last one I recall is the Blu Ray for Urotsukidoji. I think with that release it was a similar example of the original source(s) being lost or destroyed.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2022, 12:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:
I've seen examples of HD releases with SD splices before. Last one I recall is the Blu Ray for Urotsukidoji. I think with that release it was a similar example of the original source(s) being lost or destroyed.

The Criterion King Kong vs Godzilla is like that too. The unrated cut of Hellraiser 3 from Arrow uses footage from the LD and it's even in a different aspect ratio!

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2022, 12:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
teddanson wrote:

The Criterion King Kong vs Godzilla is like that too. The unrated cut of Hellraiser 3 from Arrow uses footage from the LD and it's even in a different aspect ratio!

I feel a list coming on! :D

Right. Let's start so. Keep posting titles and I'll update the list when I get a sec. :thumbup:

Big list of films that use SD splices in HD releases because someone somewhere made a total balls of looking after the negatives:

1. Urotsukidoji - Kitty Media Blu Ray
2. King Kong vs Godzilla - Criterion Collection
3. Hellraiser 3 - Arrow Video

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]