It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:34

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: P5 Error on certain discs only.
PostPosted: 26 Oct 2017, 10:39 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Right. I use a D925 and on two particular discs - in fact just one side of two discs, the machine fails to play.

The disc spins up and gets faster and faster - I can hear that it's faster than it should be for initialising a disc - and then the machine shows error "P5". It does not even put the motor brake on the disc so it takes a couple of minutes to stop spinning and allow the disc to be ejected.

This behaviour is completely reliable - it does it every time and only for those two particular sides of those two particular discs. I have tried putting the disc in the machine upside-down so that the pick-up is in a different position when it tries to read the disc but the behaviour is identical.

The discs are
Saturn 3 (1980) [LVITC 0010]
and
World of Morecambe and Wise, The (1980) [90 0507 5]

You'll see that they are both made by PDO in Blackburn. The Saturn 3 disc looks absolutely perfect however, it's just this complete failure to play side A.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Post subject: Re: P5 Error on certain discs only.
PostPosted: 26 Oct 2017, 11:27 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nextwednesday wrote:
Right. I use a D925 and on two particular discs - in fact just one side of two discs, the machine fails to play.

Normally P5 means the proper rotation of the disc was not reached on time and the player gives up.

I get that on old LDs when the clamp find the label too slippery to engage and brings to the right rotational speed on time.
Usually it works on 2nd attempt of when I slightly humidify the label to give the clamp a better adherence.

Julien

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2017, 14:41 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

If it is due to slipping you could also try cleaning the label - poor handling might see skin oils etc build up.

With one particular disc I wasn't getting a P5 but could hear it slipping, cleaned the label (just used lens cleaner and a tissue) and then it was fine.

Alternatively PDO have a real reputation for rotters and some reading issue due to that might be causing it, perhaps if it can't even read the TOC?

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2017, 09:15 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Thanks for your responses.

If it were related to the physical clamping of the disc it would happen when attempting to read both sides of the disc. That's not the case.

It's also not related to the physical position of the laser assembly (above/below the disc) as evidenced by the fact the behaviour is reproduced when the disc is physically flipped.

So I think it's a reading issue - as you say, 1973. Is there a stage at which it verifies the speed using the signal from the laser before it reads the toc? Yes there is rot there but not the complete disintegration of the gold pdo discs. These are the older silver coloured ones.

I've been too lazy so far to test the two discs in question in a second player. Perhaps this weekend.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2017, 15:40 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

nextwednesday wrote:
I've been too lazy so far to test the two discs in question in a second player. Perhaps this weekend.

Definitely do this.
LD players, in general, will position the laser near the innermost track (in the region which looks CAV even on extended-play discs), then spin the disc faster & faster until the proper frequencies of horizontal sync (coarse) & colour subcarrier (fine) are achieved. If for some reason, such as warp or loss of reflection or possibly the innermost track being farther out than the head park position (which seems unlikely), no video signal is returned, I could envision this happening.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2017, 15:40 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Now tested in a second player. The behaviour is the same.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2017, 16:17 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

So indications are disc, not player problem.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2023, 20:20 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Just had this happen with my PAL laserdisc of Raise the Titanic on my CLD-D925. I got it to play by putting the player in service mode using the service remote. The disc turns out to be very rotted.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2023, 22:23 
True fan
True fan

I got some weird type of error like that on some of my players but don't know if it sad that or something else. Mine might have be LS or L something error. Usually it's telling me the disc is not seated properly or the belt needs to be cleaned or replaced. I forget which players did that in the past. I think my cld-99 or cld-53 may have done that before cleaning the belt. Not sure but now it works great.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]