It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:30

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Does a LaserDisc/retro media convention exist? suggestions?
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2021, 23:33 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I've looked and looked, but it seems like such an event has never occurred.

Am I wrong? Is anyone aware of an event I am not? Ideally located within North America as well (USA or Canada).

I randomly attend a few retro-inspired conventions, an while I can find anything from toys, videogames, posters, clothing, VHS tapes, 8-tracks etc - LaserDiscs have always been incredibly rare to nonexistent at these events. I'm not sure if I have seen any laserdiscs for sale at flea markets even within, say, the past 5+ years.

If anyone has any convention, flea market or even a physical store location recommendations, that would be great as well.

Eide's Entertainment in Pittsburgh, PA had/has a small but decent assortment of Laserdiscs, that's about the best I have found.

Post subject: Re: Does a LaserDisc/retro media convention exist? suggestio
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2021, 23:46 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Oh boy, there was a topic in the past about starting something.
I think a seller here was going to do a pop up but in Arizona??? but that was in the never again times.

This type of thing happening now may be even less than lets say 4 years ago.
LD was too niche of a market and only way you can find them in areas that are not major cities like NYC, LA etc. is going to be from people moving
to rural areas and either dumping, dying or selling off after they moved to said areas and realizing they shouldn't have started the collection to begin with.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2021, 23:58 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

rein-o wrote:
Oh boy, there was a topic in the past about starting something.
I think a seller here was going to do a pop up but in Arizona??? but that was in the never again times.

This type of thing happening now may be even less than lets say 4 years ago.
LD was too niche of a market and only way you can find them in areas that are not major cities like NYC, LA etc. is going to be from people moving
to rural areas and either dumping, dying or selling off after they moved to said areas and realizing they shouldn't have started the collection to begin with.

yeah, buying lots off ebay does seem to be the best option anymore. That last line will probably be me someday, lol. :)

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2021, 02:09 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

There were a couple get togethers a few years ago. Because most LD collectors are creeps, they caused my trouble than good.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2021, 03:28 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

substance wrote:
Because most LD collectors are creeps, they caused my trouble than good.

Man…. That’s quite a bit to say literally about.…. all of us :shh: :shifty:.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2021, 05:24 
Serious fan
Serious fan

A flea market-ish toy show a few months ago in Tokyo had a booth where a guy had a small CRT he was using to display stuff like a Betamax and Sega Mark III. Didn't appear to be selling anything, he was just showing it off, so it was pretty cool, even though it was just connected by RF so it had a good bit of static.

I imagine LD would get a good bit of interest at a retro video game convention or something similar, if someone was interested in setting up their own booth.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2021, 05:34 
Serious fan
Serious fan

jd213 wrote:
I imagine LD would get a good bit of interest at a retro video game convention or something similar, if someone was interested in setting up their own booth.

Especially if you had a LaserActive player and some LD-ROM games.

I just read that there was a prototype Myst port on LD-ROM, which would be absolutely wild to see if there are any copies out there.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2021, 08:28 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Interesting thread you started here @stanley57 :thumbup:

For me perhaps the best way of organising any sort of serious LD gathering would be via this forum; the obvious main problem is that we are maybe just a little too spread out across the planet, hence would be rather difficult to pick a centralised location for all to easily access? Having said that I’d definitely be interested in attending a well organised Laserdisc event and particularly so if it took place in somewhere such as Paris, London, Brussels, Amsterdam etc. all of which are just a few hours away on a high speed train for me. Apologies to you guys in the US (who clearly outnumber the European membership) and the rest of the world for the obvious selfishness in location choice, but seeing as the founder of LDDB hails from France?

What would be your thoughts on this Julien?
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2021, 11:52 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

1st: There aren’t any conventions anymore. That’s pretty much the end of the conversation.

2nd: The LD scene doesn’t need to grow. It doesn’t need notoriety. We won’t need our stuff to be jacked up in prices by eBayers trying to be auction houses. Furthermore LD isn’t a logical thing to collect for 21st century noobs as there are better ways to watch more movies for less money. Honestly the video game scene has become something I’m embarrassed to be associated with so I don’t like comparisons to it. Gamers lives are ruined enough without adding LD to the list of worthless crap they blow all their money on. Some of us are still using our collections to watch movies. Please at least wait until we’re dead before you break all the players in shipping and make a graded copy of Hunt for Red October “worth” over $1.5M.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2021, 12:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

A convention of any kind related to Laserdisc would probably sit better in some sort of convention for dead and obscure media formats. Mix it all up a bit and bring enthusiasts together across all areas. A few examples off the top of my head would be Laserdisc, reel collectors and preservationists e.g. 8mm/16mm/35mm and perhaps the odd 70mm and IMAX lunatic, MiniDisc, AHD, VHD, DVHS, CED and on and on and on.

If you were really lucky, maybe involve Philips, Pioneer, Sony, Panasonic et al in some way. Unfortunately Leonard Nimoy popped his clogs a while back so your keynote speaker is gone. Although Jason Alexander may be available. :D

In contrast I couldn't envisage a handful of weirdos gathering at a holiday camp to tickle each others lungs over some silver discs. It just doesn't compute. A cross-format festival of all things obscure in the world of physical media has more potential. You've got options as well for folks to peddle their wares. Kitsch vinyl, cassette and Bandcamp sellers. Maybe some Discogs sellers could grab a table as well as LDDB sellers and on and on.

You could call it The Big Convention Uniting Niche Things Symposium. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2021, 15:42 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

substance wrote:
Because most LD collectors are creeps, they caused my trouble than good.

:lol:

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2021, 16:39 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
1st: There aren’t any conventions anymore. That’s pretty much the end of the conversation.

2nd: The LD scene doesn’t need to grow. It doesn’t need notoriety. We won’t need our stuff to be jacked up in prices by eBayers trying to be auction houses. Furthermore LD isn’t a logical thing to collect for 21st century noobs as there are better ways to watch more movies for less money. Honestly the video game scene has become something I’m embarrassed to be associated with so I don’t like comparisons to it. Gamers lives are ruined enough without adding LD to the list of worthless crap they blow all their money on. Some of us are still using our collections to watch movies. Please at least wait until we’re dead before you break all the players in shipping and make a graded copy of Hunt for Red October “worth” over $1.5M.

1st Well they still do have conventions, we have a friend who just went to dragoncon and there were a shitton of people there, I think
they said 40,000.

2nd the LD scene would be great to grow BUT it won't. I remember buying films back in the early oughts for stupid money, I think
I bought the box of Tron on ebay for 50 or 75 since I knew it was cheaper than when buying new, but now its just stupid to think that
unless its a super rare film on LD.
AND China or other countries won't be coming out with LD player clones anytime soon like they do with your famiclone or segaclone.
Since there won't be any new players or format it will never happen in the prices like the games.

Movies just bring back 2hr memories not like games and toys which were the entire day.
I have both movie and game memories, but I never spent the money like I did on SFII' I had 2 machines at one point, along with
14 others.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2021, 19:32 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Wow, didn't expect somewhat of an active thread, thank you all for your various responses.

Not to start a huge flame war, but I attended a Pinball convention in July and I spent a weekend in Pittsburgh visiting Pinball PA (https://www.pinballpa.com/) this past August. While I was out there, it turned out Pittsburgh Comic Con was going on.....so to the person saying that there are not conventions anymore, somewhat puzzled. I mean, I'm attending a convention next weekend (literally in my hometown) and in November (Midwest Gaming Classic). The pinball and pittsburgh comic con both posted numbers in the thousands as well, so that seems rather well attended. Especially coming out of a pandemic causing a somewhat cautious public, at the present.

As for the person lamenting various things about the, for lack of better terms, "video game scene/subculture" or, "retrogaming collecting scene/subculture" in relation to LaserDisc collecting, I mean, I sort of get what you are saying in regards to recent pricing changes (the past 4-5 years especially), but embarrassed? Someone paid $1.5 million USD for a graded, sealed copy of Super Mario Bros N64, who cares? You can get a loose cartridge for $20-30. Hell, I've seen it for $10 USD this past summer with a scratched up, but working fine, cartridge. I don't think LaserDisc prices could really ever achieve that because you fundamentally interact with the medium in wildly different ways. An frankly, yeah, I'm never going to spend, "home ownership level money" on a gaming anything ever, so I do not see an issue here.

An to the various people championing a mixed retro media event, that would probably be the best for attendance numbers and the most interesting, in my opinion. I could see alot of ways to engage with attendees! Topics ranging from repair, history of the media and just general movie/tv series fandom panels as well. That being said, it seems unlikely, but I've heard of anything from Matchbook collecting conventions (Scranton, PA, USA just had one apparently this year) to VHS conventions (oddly also somewhere in PA, if I remember correctly). Though such a convention would probably get me involved in MiniDisc, film reels and CED collecting, which would be a downside, sort of, for me, personally. :P

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2021, 19:40 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

substance wrote:
There were a couple get togethers a few years ago. Because most LD collectors are creeps, they caused my trouble than good.

That is very unfortunate, not sure what you are referring too, but I've heard of sketchy behavior at vinyl record conventions before, so I could imagine (Ex: getting ripped off, the random nightmarish weirdo that manages to sour an entire event via behavior, bootleg/fake records, etc, etc). :(

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2021, 19:43 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I think if something like this wants to startup, it has to start small.

Like try to make a panel or something like that in an existing convention to see if it can really drum up any interest.

I know there are VHS conventions so joining up with them might be an idea.

Or maybe a Sci-Fi or Horror convention since collectors of LDs are high on those genres.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2021, 21:52 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

elahrairrah wrote:
I think if something like this wants to startup, it has to start small.

Like try to make a panel or something like that in an existing convention to see if it can really drum up any interest.

I know there are VHS conventions so joining up with them might be an idea.

Or maybe a Sci-Fi or Horror convention since collectors of LDs are high on those genres.

Yeah, I never went to a sci-fi or horror convention myself, but I could see maybe something starting at the Fangoria Convention reboot (https://movieweb.com/fangoria-weekend-of-horrors-2021/). Horror and scifi do seem to be the most collectible on LD in terms of popularity I've just randomly observed over the years.

There were so many different releases of Star Trek and Star Wars on LaserDisc, let alone the copious amount of other scifi series/movies. A ton of real bad (but now great) B horror movies came out on LaserDisc during the 1980s and early 90s too and generally, I should go see what the most obscure s**t in my collection is already, it has a few contenders, lol.

The horror crowd seems to love getting LDs autographed, I've come across more autographed horror then scifi on LD in my travels.

Just personal observations, not sure how much weight they carry.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2021, 14:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
2nd the LD scene would be great to grow BUT it won't. I remember buying films back in the early oughts for stupid money, I think
I bought the box of Tron on ebay for 50 or 75 since I knew it was cheaper than when buying new, but now its just stupid to think that
unless its a super rare film on LD.
AND China or other countries won't be coming out with LD player clones anytime soon like they do with your famiclone or segaclone.
Since there won't be any new players or format it will never happen in the prices like the games.

Agree. The LD scene is just so minimal compared to the old video game scene.

I could put basically any old video game up for sale on eBay and get it sold in at most a week, possibly within the same day depending on how aggressive I want to be with the price.

Laserdisc? Well I'm trying to get rid of some excess discs... Put one on eBay... 10 views in 2 weeks. Trying to sell some other discs on facebook, basically give away some cheaper ones at $3 each (ie less than the shipping cost for a disc) and have not received a single message. 16 views in 1 week. LD is not remotely in danger of becoming like the video game market, I think that's safe to say. :lol:

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2021, 15:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

well, LD seems destined to remain the best way to see the forgotten 1984 gem "ELECTRIC DREAMS" at least in the U.S.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2021, 16:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

If you are okay with importing a copy, Second Sight released it in the UK on Blu back in 2017.

Jeff has it on his UK online shop.

https://secondsightfilms.co.uk/products ... ms-blu-ray

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2021, 05:22 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Kinda related to this- the forum broke a record a few days ago:
Most users ever online was 328 on 14 Sep 21, 5:47pm

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next