It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:57

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Disc most owned in collection that still commands top price
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2021, 16:06 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Was wondering about titles that are most owned in collections and that are still the highest priced that actually sell.

We aren't talking about discs that are highest priced but discs that are in more collections than we can count on both hands and feet.

I think this song of the south Song of the South (1946) [PILF-1096]
may be the disc that is in the most collections and still actually sells for a high price.
187 in collections and the disc does still sell for 150-250 on ebay and here.

I can only see the top 100, is there another way to search??
Would be fun to see the disc that is in the most collections and still sells for a crazy price.

I see Matrix, The (1999) [17665] is at 181 and still commands a high
price, is it higher than SOTS now??? Haven't searched it on ebay in a while.

Post subject: Re: Disc most owned in collection that still commands top pr
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2021, 20:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Makes sense with the new Matrix movie coming out.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2021, 22:45 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

The Matrix is in 180 collections but also in 270 wishlists. But I don’t think this is the reason. I believe the statistics here is misleading. 180 copies in the whole world is not really a lot. OK the whole world doesn’t care for LDs but I think 180 copies over the number of people still care for LDs is still a small percentage. I get your point and agree with you but I think the situation is more complicated than it seems on the numbers here.

Also, a ton of LD buyers don’t catalog their LDs here, they simply use the store and the database to grab information. Remember that $125k sale? The guy said he has been on the site longer than all of us but never bothered to catalog his 3700 LDs. Heck, I realized on the FB groups that most LD buyers don’t even have an account here. Sure, if there were more participation as in more people hold accounts and catalog their library, the 180 copy count would go up but I think the wishlist count would go up even more.

I thought you were going to talk about even more common titles. I think it is crazier people pay $50-80 for a title you could find if you waited 2 weeks for it to show up on eBay or you could get the DVD or BD for a few bucks. For me for something to qualify rare, it needs to show up for sale less than twice a year.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2021, 22:58 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I don't want to off track this topic too much.
I do agree that you can buy it for 5 bucks on much better formats and after this film comes out it there will be even more new copies in newer formats to buy.

I'm just curious as to what disc commands the highest price but has a crazy amount in collections.
Not something like whatever that is 3 or 5 thousand dollars with only a handful in collections but something like SOTS or Matrix where you have
almost 200 copies in collections and it still goes for stupid money.

And again not asking about some super rare disc that only 3 or 5 have in collections but where too many are there and the value is just over inflated but
not due to limited amounts.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2021, 23:17 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Fight Club, X-Men, the Iron Giant, The World is not Enough, The Bone Collector, The Sixth Sense, Mission Impossible II, Cliffhanger (Muse and SQZ). I believe these are even more common than the Matrix but sell for more. You might have to pay a high price but you can find a copy for any of these for sale almost any day of the year.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2021, 00:39 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

OK
In collections.
111 Fight Club
43 X-Men
35 Iron Giant
71 The World is not Enough
34 The Bone Collector
65 The Sixth Sense
32 Mission Impossible II, fk me why are there so many spellings on this, its not under MI:II or Mission Impossible II or 2, just stupid. Mission: Impossible 2 (2000) [PILF-2865]
87 Cliffhanger

So far the answer to my question is I guess Matrix, unless there is a disc that has over 181, is there a title that sells for big money with over 181 in collections???

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2021, 01:00 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Exosquad, volumes 1 & 2 have regularly went for $25-50 USD for years on ebay and on here, from what I have personally seen.

Which is bizarre, I've had some CIB Exosquad toys since the show came out and I cannot sell them, in like new condition/seals intact mind you, for $10-20 each. Ultimately, sold 1 toy for $20 after having them listed for years, then decided to just keep the rest. If they were given time to pursue the proposed and slightly developed Robotech crossover, the show really could of been even more epic, but I digress. :)

That being said, the vague connection to Robotech might be what has kept prices up for both volumes.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2021, 02:02 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Titanic (1997) [LV334812-WSDTS]
112 in collection. 10 total sold here for about $100 average.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2021, 08:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace (1999) [PILF-2830]

Is a interesting one. Everyone basically has it and price continuing climbing.
Suspect Star Wars fanboys without players?
Ive ran into 4 in the wild down here in Zealand
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2021, 00:28 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

jakeheke wrote:

Aye.

I mount my LDs on the wall as sort of wall art you can remove and watch from the holding rails I have them on. I've got a LD player connected to each of my TVs too for this little installation of mine.

I have encountered quite a few Star Wars fans that just buy Star Wars LaserDiscs just because it is, well, Star Wars. No LD player or deeper interest whatsoever. My 3 releases of the OG trilogy are all over the place, I'm not picky or a super fan. That being said. I do have The Ewok Adventure, haha, which is a little rare I believe, plays great till this day!

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2021, 14:37 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jakeheke wrote:

Luckier than me! I bought several collections waiting for it, but eventually just bought it online.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2021, 12:54 
True fan
True fan

My highest sold disc was The Matrix earlier this month.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2021, 20:27 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

"Song of the South" continues to top my list of valuable discs.

Song of the South (1946) [PILF-1096]

Appears there was a big jump in value right after Disney announced changing the Splash Mountain ride. eBay prices are just ridiculous right now.

"Solder" also appears to still be worth a good amount and I'm not sure why but assume it was a late release that had a lower number of pressings.

https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/09235/16958/Soldier

In addition, these two CDVs' I have also continue to garner interest....

Kimagure Orange Road CDV-1 [CTV24-106]
Kimagure Orange Road CDV-2 [CTV24-109]

It was great anime series back in 1987 w/ great music. These CDVs' cover all six opening and ending credits (three on each disc).

Last edited by ldfan on 26 Sep 2021, 04:07, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2021, 15:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

ldfan wrote:
Song of the South continues to top my list of valuable discs.

Appears there was a big jump in value right after Disney announced changing the Splash Mountain ride. eBay prices are just ridiculous right now.

Geez, maybe I should've bought one.

I think the film's a bit rubbish, but I wouldn't want to miss a chance to stick it to Disney!

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2021, 22:18 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

takeshi666 wrote:
ldfan wrote:
Song of the South continues to top my list of valuable discs.

Geez, maybe I should've bought one.

I think the film's a bit rubbish, but I wouldn't want to miss a chance to stick it to Disney!

I can't remember when but it will become public domain very soon, possibly even now????
So it could be available or more readily available due to pressings off the original buena vista?? or whatever it may have been.
If it has been remastered then its more likely.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2021, 04:29 
Site Admin
Site Admin

rein-o wrote:
I can't remember when but it will become public domain very soon, possibly even now????

Disney made sure to extend the Copyright laws (the Mickey Mouse Protection Act) beyond the original 50, then 75, then 95 (publication) or 120 (creation) years.

SOTS would then fall in the 95 years rule and be protected until 2041, unless Disney re-extends the law again.

There's another trick to keep Disney movies under copyright in countries where the law is 50 years: re-release them with a new dub and start a new copyright cycle ;-) A LOT of Disney classic movies were re-dubbed and re-released in France in the 90's because they were due to expire.

Julien

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2021, 14:42 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I don't know enough but thought that the first release was still open and the remasteres were locked.
Thought thats how they get away with it on roku or other streaming when they show old prints or damaged stuff.
Or they are film companies who don't really care and don't need to lock them up.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2021, 16:43 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

There is a mechanism at play here, regarding price versus commonality.

Most of the members here buy LDs because we want the movie, even collectards who mount them on the wall. But there are a lot of people who buy LDs only because LDs are rare and expensive exotic magical things. They think their collection is worth $100,000. It’s sorta movie fandom but it’s closer to collecting Beanie Babies or sports cards.

These two ends of the same spectrum have different taste in movies. One hoards the entire Criterion Collection…pretty much only because it’s pre-numbered like a comic book and called “Collection” like a range of Star Wars figures….which draws their moronic unimaginative minds in…the other type actually watches them all, goes on to read or perhaps even write about the creators of the movie, upgrades the ones he really likes, maybe he makes his own movies and borrows something cool he saw in a 70 year old Spanish film. Nobody who desires a “complete collection” really cares about the quality of anything in it. It’s just a checklist. Every title this person owns exists only to have its box checked, then it’s there on the shelf doing its job. None of them are loved more than any other unless there is some “cool” story about how he got it.*

So the Collectarded will buy The Matrix for some insane price and say it’s rare and valuable for the rest of their lives. They’ll tote the price they paid as a good price, the time they bought it the only time they saw it, etc. Mainstream type A model people only see this version of the LD hobby. People who bought Song of the South 30 years after it came out because of a story they saw on CNN about Splash Mountain. I frankly consider these people to be idiots but I recognize that there are way more of the Laserdisc Forever people than there are movie buffs hardcore enough to collect LD.

If you think about that idea, and that stupider collectors have massively less educated tastes, it explains why common as hell titles like The Phantom Menace and SOTS can fetch more money every year than vastly superior movies issued in fractionally smaller quantities.

Eventually Star Wars, real Star Wars, will hit Blu-ray in a form most fans will consider a near-prefect release. When it does a ton of crap news outlets and even crapper YouBoobers will create pieces called “You Don’t Need Your Old Star Wars LDs Anymore!” and when this happens the eBay price for those discs will CLIMB and not fall. Mark my words. A new generation of dumb Star Wars fans who don’t even know what LD even IS as of this writing will collectively (Collectardively?) decide they have to have it and whatever price they pay will be a good price in their eyes.

* often times this “cool story” makes him sound like an enormous a** but he appears to be totally unaware of that and laughs during the entire story every time. We are all amazed by it.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2021, 04:32 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Interesting. I don't get why Song of the South is so expensive. I've never seen the movie but it doesn't look interesting at all. I buy laserdiscs to watch not make money and I doubt that anybody is getting rich selling them anyways. I've seen most of the other movies listed here as rare discs in the theater (X-Men, Matrix, Fight Club) or on TV (Iron Giant) and while I would like to have the disc, I can't justify the high asking prices. I'm not even sure why they are so expensive. I had always assumed supply & demand but I've seen all of these discs for sale now and then.

substance wrote:
Also, a ton of LD buyers don’t catalog their LDs here

You know, I never even thought about cataloging my discs here before. I guess I always assumed that was for sellers. Is there any other reason to catalog my collection here?

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2021, 06:14 
Site Admin
Site Admin

tombstone13 wrote:
You know, I never even thought about cataloging my discs here before. I guess I always assumed that was for sellers. Is there any other reason to catalog my collection here?

Well... to keep track of what you have in your collection.
That's kind of the point!

I have near 1,000 LDs in collection, I really need to know what is where and in what condition.

Julien

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next