It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:46

Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Disc most owned in collection that still commands top pr
PostPosted: 26 Oct 2021, 04:04 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A quite aggressive marketing approach on eBay for the X-Men LD listed at $1,600:

The ONLY copy known to exist in the US. X-Men 2000 Japanese laserdisc EXTREMELY RARE!!

Buyers are THAT gullible or are some sellers living in a parallel dimension?

Julien

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2021, 04:26 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

07662C02
07612C02

Well at least we know up to 766 were pressed.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2021, 05:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

admin wrote:
Buyers are THAT gullible or are some sellers living in a parallel dimension?

Yes

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2021, 13:27 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

tombstone13 wrote:
Interesting. I don't get why Song of the South is so expensive. I've never seen the movie but it doesn't look interesting at all. I buy laserdiscs to watch not make money and I doubt that anybody is getting rich selling them anyways. I've seen most of the other movies listed here as rare discs in the theater (X-Men, Matrix, Fight Club) or on TV (Iron Giant) and while I would like to have the disc, I can't justify the high asking prices. I'm not even sure why they are so expensive. I had always assumed supply & demand but I've seen all of these discs for sale now and then.

You missed the point. Nobody is making money at it. None of these discs are actually worth what their owners wish they were. But these are the people who buy into capitalism to such an extent that they don’t even notice when it stops working. This is an ideological thing, not a profit game.

substance wrote:
Also, a ton of LD buyers don’t catalog their LDs here

Quote:
You know, I never even thought about cataloging my discs here before. I guess I always assumed that was for sellers. Is there any other reason to catalog my collection here?

…what? No, it’s not for sellers. The whole point of this site is the database. Many many discs (admin would know exactly) are only in the DB because users added them. The forum came later, the marketplace came later…if you don’t get it I can’t explain it. If it weren’t for people adding their collections the DB would be less than it is.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2021, 05:13 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

admin wrote:
tombstone13 wrote:
Is there any other reason to catalog my collection here?

Well... to keep track of what you have in your collection.
That's kind of the point!

I have near 1,000 LDs in collection, I really need to know what is where and in what condition.

Julien

That makes good sense. I just already have a list that I have kept for years before ever coming here. And your collection is larger than mine, too.

signofzeta wrote:
tombstone13 wrote:
I doubt that anybody is getting rich selling them anyways.

You missed the point. Nobody is making money at it.

No, I get that point, as I said.

Quote:
You know, I never even thought about cataloging my discs here before. I guess I always assumed that was for sellers. Is there any other reason to catalog my collection here?

signofzeta wrote:
…what? No, it’s not for sellers. The whole point of this site is the database. Many many discs (admin would know exactly) are only in the DB because users added them. The forum came later, the marketplace came later…if you don’t get it I can’t explain it. If it weren’t for people adding their collections the DB would be less than it is.

If that's your sales pitch for cataloging then you need to work on your closing. :P

What you say may have made sense years ago but not so much now, at least not for me. It would be a lot of work for me to catalog even my small collection (sub-500 discs). I doubt I have any discs not already in the database so I don't see how it would improve it by adding duplicates. A few times I thought I found one that wasn't in the database but I was wrong each time; I'm just not that good at searching the database, I guess (that Russian T-34 movie, for example). :mrgreen:

I used to buy my discs in retail stores. After that dried up, I turned to garage sales, flea markets, etc. It wasn't until just a few years ago that I really tried buying online, first eBay then somebody pointed me here. I do not have face-book but somebody told me that is a good place to look, also. I always enjoyed looking through someone's old collection a lot more than looking online anyways.

If it's just a statistical thing, well, maybe I will get around to it someday.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2021, 07:25 
Serious fan
Serious fan

You don't need to worry about adding duplicates; that's what catalog numbers are for.

Anyway, even if you don't have any titles that aren't in the DB yet, there very well could be titles in your collection whose DB entries are missing information or covers, which is a nice thing to help out with for historical record-keeping. It's a chore to be sure, and far be it from me to tell anyone what to do with their free time (especially since I've got plenty left to do, myself, and my collection's comparatively tiny), but collectively it's a worthwhile endeavor IMO. I'm hoping to get some covers photographed and updates submitted this weekend.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2021, 00:30 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

rcarlson wrote:
You don't need to worry about adding duplicates; that's what catalog numbers are for.

Anyway, even if you don't have any titles that aren't in the DB yet, there very well could be titles in your collection whose DB entries are missing information or covers, which is a nice thing to help out with for historical record-keeping. It's a chore to be sure, and far be it from me to tell anyone what to do with their free time (especially since I've got plenty left to do, myself, and my collection's comparatively tiny), but collectively it's a worthwhile endeavor IMO. I'm hoping to get some covers photographed and updates submitted this weekend.

You, sir, are a good salesman. I'm still not sure I have anything to add but I think I will give it a try. I only have a cell phone as a computer which is where I keep my list currently. I don't know much about the technical aspects but I guess I could add basic information or an amateur photo of the cover, if needed. Maybe I'll start alphabetically and see how much worth there is to it all.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2021, 00:53 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I personally think adding now after we already have over 60K of discs are ones that aren't listed already or ones that have typos in titles.
Most of those are Japanese releases, HK or other import releases.

Some HK or other imports are 50/50 bootleg and you may not even know you have one, so that is another good reason to add.
Other than that I think fixing titles if they are open matte rather than pan and scan is just a moot point now. You either want said title or don't.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2021, 03:06 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

rein-o wrote:
I personally think adding now after we already have over 60K of discs are ones that aren't listed already or ones that have typos in titles.
Most of those are Japanese releases, HK or other import releases.

Some HK or other imports are 50/50 bootleg and you may not even know you have one, so that is another good reason to add.
Other than that I think fixing titles if they are open matte rather than pan and scan is just a moot point now. You either want said title or don't.

That's good because I don't really know that stuff (open matte vs. pan & scan). I agree with you that I just want the title and don't care much about technical aspects. It would be nice to see more comments about discs, like why does Groundhog Day look like it was copied from a VHS tape? :P

And bootlegs...? I had no idea bootleg laserdiscs existed. I thought they had to be created in a clean room. I admit I don't really know much about how they were created, though.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2021, 03:45 
Serious fan
Serious fan

rein-o wrote:

I don't agree with this perspective at all. If it isn't important to have accurate information on how much of the picture is on the disk and in what format, I don't know what is. And I don't doubt for a minute that there are still plenty of people who don't even know that an open matte cut of a movie they like ever existed, and that lots of them find out that kind of thing on this website.

But even ignoring that, you don't gather and maintain all this data just to act as a niche purchasing guide, re: "You either want said title or don't." Having a broad, deep, and accurate repository of information on a subject matter where getting the information first-hand grows increasingly difficult with the passage of time is simply... good. Pick a random factoid on this site and it likely won't be of interest to anyone; but take tens of thousands of those factoids and you're guaranteed to get lots that will be of interest to plenty of people. Leaving something wrong in an archive on the assumption that it won't matter is simply the wrong call in the aggregate and over time.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2021, 15:05 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Well I used to do such things as add info and buy titles for being open matte etc. but now I try to just get the DVD as its cheaper.
5 bucks with free shipping most of the time, and since I'm in it for the film I just keep what I have now and have stopped replacing
but rather focus on getting rid of stuff I won't watch anymore.

Sales of LDs have gone down so much that unless its a rare title it won't ever sell, so it just shows that now its a moot point to add this information.
Was good at one time but if you get a title and it hasn't been updated in almost 15 years it never will.

as tombstone says: I don't really know that stuff (open matte vs. pan & scan).

And most hardly actually do.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2021, 03:46 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I think that's the first time my ignorance has been used to prove a point. :P

Is that X-Men laserdisc really that rare? I could never spend that kind of money.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2021, 22:08 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

tombstone13 wrote:
I think that's the first time my ignorance has been used to prove a point. :P

Is that X-Men laserdisc really that rare? I could never spend that kind of money.

It is "rare" in the sense that it appears to have been pressed in quite low numbers for a Japanese release even given that it was a very late commercial release the actual number that went out made it pretty hard to find fairly soon after it was issued.

Was not following it on ebay, did it sell and if it did what did it finally go for?

Cheers :thumbup:

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2021, 16:35 
True fan
True fan

substance wrote:
Fight Club, X-Men, the Iron Giant, The World is not Enough, The Bone Collector, The Sixth Sense, Mission Impossible II, Cliffhanger (Muse and SQZ). I believe these are even more common than the Matrix but sell for more. You might have to pay a high price but you can find a copy for any of these for sale almost any day of the year.

Iron Giant is too much money for a movie that seems pretty common on laserdisc. I've seen about 4-5 Iron Giant laserdiscs movies on ebay at one time before and people are always asking around 300 bucks for it. I'd never pay 300 bucks for a laserdisc personally. I personally think 100 bucks is crazy. I am not rich though so maybe some rich people that enjoy laserdiscs enjoy paying crazy prices for laserdiscs. I swear some people think they have gold with laserdiscs. Yeah these used to sell for a lot back in the day but there's a good reason for that. That's because laserdisc was the best people could get at one time. Heck when DVD came out I believe many of you have stated that they were basically giving out laserdiscs for free and selling them for like 5 to a buck at some places. Now it's funny that it's a hot collectors item when at one time it was not. I guess the same could be said about many different formats. I know at one time Dreamcast games were dirt cheap and now they have skyrocketed in price. Though that's console gaming and not movie watching so it's a little different.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2021, 03:48 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

jesuslovesgood wrote:
substance wrote:
Fight Club, X-Men, the Iron Giant, The World is not Enough, The Bone Collector, The Sixth Sense, Mission Impossible II, Cliffhanger (Muse and SQZ). I believe these are even more common than the Matrix but sell for more. You might have to pay a high price but you can find a copy for any of these for sale almost any day of the year.

Iron Giant is too much money for a movie that seems pretty common on laserdisc. I've seen about 4-5 Iron Giant laserdiscs movies on ebay at one time before and people are always asking around 300 bucks for it. I'd never pay 300 bucks for a laserdisc personally. I personally think 100 bucks is crazy. I am not rich though so maybe some rich people that enjoy laserdiscs enjoy paying crazy prices for laserdiscs. I swear some people think they have gold with laserdiscs. Yeah these used to sell for a lot back in the day but there's a good reason for that. That's because laserdisc was the best people could get at one time. Heck when DVD came out I believe many of you have stated that they were basically giving out laserdiscs for free and selling them for like 5 to a buck at some places. Now it's funny that it's a hot collectors item when at one time it was not. I guess the same could be said about many different formats. I know at one time Dreamcast games were dirt cheap and now they have skyrocketed in price. Though that's console gaming and not movie watching so it's a little different.

Yes, most common titles tanked in value a couple years after DVD but there was a handful of titles which were never cheap. Over the years another bunch of titles created enough hype and went up in value. More importantly, a lot of these titles with the hype behind them, call it rare or whatever, settled in to those prices, no matter how many of them are being offered for sale. I doubt those 4 or 5 sellers with the Iron Giant disc would let go for much less. They would just continue to hold on to them and try at different times. For this trend to break, those established(hyped) titles should show up frequently a dozen at a time consistently. I know it is stupid but why do you care? Must you really own the Iron Giant on LD? If you must not, the DVD is probably $5 for you to grab any day.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2021, 04:24 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I think I saw a copy of Iron Giant on DVD at my local thrift store for a buck.

I'm more shocked at titles that were high, went down in price as you are saying Substance, then now since they are 80s films are back up to stupid prices.

One is Big Trouble in Little China, on ebay it was actually selling for 15-45 and asking 100.
Another is Creepshow 2, why is there a copy for 100 bucks. Creepshow 2 (1987) [ID5185NW]

Different pressing but I think its actually the same but a miss insert is 20 bucks. Creepshow 2 (1987) [INW5185]

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2021, 05:47 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

rein-o wrote:
I think I saw a copy of Iron Giant on DVD at my local thrift store for a buck.

I'm more shocked at titles that were high, went down in price as you are saying Substance, then now since they are 80s films are back up to stupid prices.

One is Big Trouble in Little China, on ebay it was actually selling for 15-45 and asking 100.
Another is Creepshow 2, why is there a copy for 100 bucks. Creepshow 2 (1987) [ID5185NW]

Different pressing but I think its actually the same but a miss insert is 20 bucks. Creepshow 2 (1987) [INW5185]

It is almost safe to assume every retro game collector has an inherited interest in dead video media too. Younger generation get into gaming then retro gaming and naturally follow with retro video. This is a large base of people. Very few of them actually come and post here. Our forum is not super show off bragging friendly. It is much easier to snap a picture with your phone and post on social media. There is dozens of “I just got into LD. Look what I bought” posts everyday there. There is a new hype created every few months. There is a massive AC-3 disc hype going on now. Common AC-3 discs are $50 now. Most of these guys don’t even have surround sound systems(a sound bar at best). It’s a generational thing. I am too old to understand. I don’t care to understand them.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2021, 04:48 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

What is the goal? Is it black-out / got to have them all or just "expensive" titles?

I have always just bought movies that either I like and want to be able to re-watch or movies that look interesting that I haven't seen. I have never bought a movie just because I thought it was a high value item. I already have a bunch of discs that I bought and only watched once. I guess I'm just too lazy to bother selling them. :P

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2021, 16:40 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yes, I believe its to own all expensive titles even if you can get it on DVD for a buck.

Films to own on LD should be like you listed, films you enjoy, want to watch or haven't seen.
Films that are not on another format or you just don't care to upgrade as you are happy with what you already own and have other IRL things
to take care of.

I'm on both sides of the sword here, I think its absolutely stupid that prices are going so high on common LDs, but I've happy since I can upgrade to a dollar DVD
and make 20+ on the LD.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2021, 01:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

substance wrote:

It is almost safe to assume every retro game collector has an inherited interest in dead video media too. Younger generation get into gaming then retro gaming and naturally follow with retro video. This is a large base of people. Very few of them actually come and post here. Our forum is not super show off bragging friendly. It is much easier to snap a picture with your phone and post on social media. There is dozens of “I just got into LD. Look what I bought” posts everyday there. There is a new hype created every few months. There is a massive AC-3 disc hype going on now. Common AC-3 discs are $50 now. Most of these guys don’t even have surround sound systems(a sound bar at best). It’s a generational thing. I am too old to understand. I don’t care to understand them.

I need to find these people and sell them my AC-3 discs. :lol:

I tried to sell some discs awhile back and rein-o was right, you will sit on them for a long time.

I enjoy LD for what it is but I feel like when you are spending well over what a nice BD of the movie costs it is kind of silly. Obviously there are special cases but that X-Men movie? Lol.

Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next