Another classic wrestling title:
Foxy Boxing/Foxy Oil Wrestling [1200-6]

Forgot this one as well:
American Angels: Baptism of Blood (1990) [LV12743]

Post subject: Re: why not more Wrestling/Sports on Laserdisc
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2021, 12:06 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Nice LD fan. Thought you were dead. A very welcome welcome back!

Excellent titles by the way!

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2021, 18:48 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

While I do like my sports, there are only a few that I would want to have multiple viewings of. And more than likely other diehard sports fans are more interested in tickets to the game or overpriced jerseys than events on a format like LD back in the day.

Most of my meager LD sports collection consist of MMA events of yesteryear like the single digit UFCs, the short-lived Battlecade: Extreme Fighting Japanese Pancrase Hybrid Wrestling (basically "real" pro wrestling without pinfalls--mostly submissions, open hand strikes, rope escapes, etc.) I did watch them multiple times since I've trained martial arts and like to break down the techniques (save for the fighters who are basically brawlers like Tank Abbott.)

Even today, I don't really get sports DVDs or blu-rays. The only exception being the blu-ray of the 2017 Philadelphia Eagles season since they're my team and that was their only Super Bowl win (though they had 3 NFL Championships before the Super Bowl era.)

That's probably another reason why there weren't many LDs from team sports. There are far less fans of the sport as a whole than there are of the individual teams. So unless a fan's team wasn't a subject of the program, they'd be far less inclined to buy or watch it.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2021, 04:21 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

elahrairrah wrote:
That's probably another reason why there weren't many LDs from team sports. There are far less fans of the sport as a whole than there are of the individual teams. So unless a fan's team wasn't a subject of the program, they'd be far less inclined to buy or watch it.

I totally agree. Unfortunately, most sports videos only cover the top teams. If you are a fan of any of the other teams, you're out of luck. Videos about in-depth analysis of the sport, the strategies and how to play each position, are interesting but also rare.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2021, 11:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Don't suppose there are any Bowling or Cornhole LD's? :think:

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2021, 11:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I kind of want the Golf LDs...

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2021, 22:25 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

signofzeta wrote:
LD was a format for movie (film) lovers and people, (adults) with money. The WWF is better for selling action figures or Presto Magix or fruit roll ups or something else more budget friendly. I’d wager most NFL fans who owned LD players were team owners. There wouldn’t have been too many. A sports maniacs main format is always going to be live TV.

That's kind of the impression I got growing up. The main families I knew growing up with an LD player were pretty well off with doctors, attorneys, etc. bringing in the money. The format was something I kind of always knew about to a very small degree because they were occasionally found in educational places like schools and museums. I can only recall seeing discs for sale a few times and never saw a player for sale during the format's heyday. It was kind of even rare for people we knew to collect pre-recorded vhs tapes as most people were renting. It wasn't even until after the format ceased production that I got a player and movies. WWE was also very much a product aimed towards kids until the later part of the decade with the Monday Night Wars. I'm not really sure what niche could've worked for sports releases at a reasonable price. Perhaps something like boxing fights could've been a thing, but it is also something most people tend to want to only watch live. There were a few UFC releases, though it was in the days when MMA was mostly an underground interest.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2022, 22:38 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I'm trying to envision the Venn diagram of LD owners in the 80's and WWE fans in the 80's and all I can come up with is two hula hoops lying on the ground. One in New Jersey and the other in California. Not a lot of sales opportunities there.

But then I was in neither state, nor could I work a hula hoop, so what do I know.

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2