It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:00

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Laser rot? Or what is this?
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2021, 00:40 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I'm new to laserdisc, so I'm not really all that familiar with the format. I have The Fugitive, which is a laserdisc to avoid due to laser rot, and it's got all this speckling all over, lots of colored bars like snow... I assume that is laser rot.

However, my question is, I also got Pulp Fiction, which is supposed to be an ok release. I have none of that issue with it, but there are a few scenes where the video constantly goes dark then light, over and over again. I've watched a few movies so far, this one is the only one that does this. Would this be laser rot, or some other issue with the disc? It's only isolated to one disc of this movie, so I assume it's not my player.

Post subject: Re: Laser rot? Or what is this?
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2021, 02:39 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

sandimas1988 wrote:

However, my question is, I also got Pulp Fiction, which is supposed to be an ok release. I have none of that issue with it, but there are a few scenes where the video constantly goes dark then light, over and over again. I've watched a few movies so far, this one is the only one that does this. Would this be laser rot, or some other issue with the disc? It's only isolated to one disc of this movie, so I assume it's not my player.

Yes fugitive is rot.

Pulp Fiction have no idea, sounds like the video is dropping out somehow, maybe not syncing with the TV or possibly dirty cable.
Even if its only doing with this one disc, also could be some type of grease on the actual disc that may be causing issues.

LDs if bought from unreliable sources do have dirt and smudges and can or should be wiped off.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2021, 02:47 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

If it’s not disc rot, that seems an easy alternative. I’ll try cleaning the disc as well as possible and see if that fixes it.

Worst case scenario, my local store has hundreds, if not thousands of laserdiscs, so I’ll grab one of their other Pulp Fiction discs. They had at least one other when I was there, and at $5, why not.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2021, 20:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

A store that has LDs for sale in 2021? Fantastic.

But yeah what you are describing with Pulp Fiction is not rot. Fugitive is the textbook definition of rot.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]