It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:57

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is there a Monitor size that is too big for laserdisc?
PostPosted: 03 May 2022, 07:33 
True fan
True fan

What I mean by this topic is there a size that will make it look ugly? I've tried my LX-900 and LX-H670 on all different sizes of tvs and it looks good on every single one of them. I'm mostly talking about 4:3 but even widescreen sometimes looks good depending on the film print. I have a 42 inch sharp 1080p tv that has the composite inputs built into it and I've tried these laserdisc players on a 65 inch TCL 4k tv which also looks good. I also see countless videos on youtube by purest that consider it sacrilegious to use laserdisc players with flat lcd, led, and oled tvs. However from my experience so far everything seems to look good. I don't have the greatest vision in the World since I wear glasses but when I walk close towards the screen it appears to look pretty good to my eyes. Now if I owned an 85 inch tv or something bigger would laserdisc start to look ugly or would it still look pretty good depending on the tv?

Post subject: Re: Is there a Monitor size that is too big for laserdisc?
PostPosted: 03 May 2022, 07:55 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Try watching an actual 4K content (not streaming but 4K disc) on that 65” TCL then try LDs again, see if it still looks good.

PostPosted: 03 May 2022, 14:38 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Anything over 9".

PostPosted: 03 May 2022, 15:32 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

In the early 00s, I acquired a 37" CRT computer monitor, a Mitsubishi Megaview Pro. Had composite and S-Video inputs and of course an RGB/VGA 15-pin D-Sub input (along with RGBHV BNC.)

When trying LD on the composite input, it wasn't pretty. In fact, it was downright ugly. I thought I had wasted the $800 I spent on this monster since the performance was crap.

I then discovered that the composite and S-Video inputs were there mainly for convenience and not performance. Whatever upscalers were built into this thing were probably the cheapest imaginable at the time. Plus it had a REALLY annoying AGC that couldn't be turned off on the SD inputs.

After getting a DVDO I-Scan Plus, and connecting it to the RGB/VGA input, things were much better.

PostPosted: 03 May 2022, 15:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

cplusplus wrote:
Anything over 9".

Just about spit out my drink. :lol: :thumbup:

As for the OP it really just depends on your own preference and standards. As Substance mentioned it can't compete with 4K or BD releases (despite what forper will tell you). I don't think I'd want to go over 34'', and that's on a CRT.

PostPosted: 03 May 2022, 17:05 
True fan
True fan

My LX-900 must be a 4k edition because I've had a better experience with laserdisc quality. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 03 May 2022, 17:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Or you are forper. Lots of possibilities here but LD is strictly worse.

PostPosted: 04 May 2022, 08:36 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

jesuslovesgood wrote:
What I mean by this topic is there a size that will make it look ugly? I've tried my LX-900 and LX-H670 on all different sizes of tvs and it looks good on every single one of them. I'm mostly talking about 4:3 but even widescreen sometimes looks good depending on the film print. I have a 42 inch sharp 1080p tv that has the composite inputs built into it and I've tried these laserdisc players on a 65 inch TCL 4k tv which also looks good. I also see countless videos on youtube by purest that consider it sacrilegious to use laserdisc players with flat lcd, led, and oled tvs. However from my experience so far everything seems to look good. I don't have the greatest vision in the World since I wear glasses but when I walk close towards the screen it appears to look pretty good to my eyes. Now if I owned an 85 inch tv or something bigger would laserdisc start to look ugly or would it still look pretty good depending on the tv?

Just for you, these were shot using an iPhone 6s aimed at a 90” diagonal screen/Sony 4K projector. 1st is a screenshot from the Pioneer LDCE PAL version of Pulse (Pink Floyd). Player used is a Pioneer CLD-925. 2nd NTSC version of (No prizes for guessing) on Pioneer HLD-X9. Image

JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 04 May 2022, 09:15 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Anamorphic Lens

pbiancardi shows how good even LD can look on modern displays in that thread.

Down the rabbit hole some may go..
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 04 May 2022, 09:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

jakeheke wrote:
https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=9917

pbiancardi shows how good even LD can look on modern displays in that thread.

Down the rabbit hole some may go..

Indeed, obviously it just isn’t fair to compare it visually with BD or 4K but it certainly can compete with DVD and in someways is preferable depending on which type of visible artifacts bother you most so I guess its just down to personal preference in the end.
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 05 May 2022, 06:24 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Your eyes are accustomed to the rough picture of LD. I thought DVDs looked great (even on HDTVs) until BDs arrived. Larger screen sizes are a lot less forgiving for sure. It is subjective however not very subjective, you will find very few people agreeing with you on LD looking great on a 65” or large display. LD is bandwidth limited and massively compressed. You get what you get.

Also, keep in mind, people put a lot of effort and money into making LDs look good then compare it to the most bare bones DVD setup. If you put similar effort and money into it, you can make DVDs look great too.

PostPosted: 05 May 2022, 22:55 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

This is why I've been picking up cheap DVDs, I can get them to almost replicate bluray with spending a few hundred on a mid range player, if I bought
a top end DVD player it would be amazing.

PostPosted: 05 May 2022, 23:53 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Standard definition, that is 480i sources with a horizontal resolution of 330 lines (definitely LD, not VHS), is generally considered to have a resolution that is suitable to watch from a 6H distance where "H" is the height size of the TV.

In other words, if you have a 40" 16:9 TV, an LD with a standard broadcast resolution of 330 lines will look ideal to the 20/20 human eye at around a distance of 118" from the screen (almost 10 feet away). LD is apparently capable of 420 horizontal lines so you may be able to sit a bit closer than 6H and get away with it.

So to answer your question, any size TV will look good appropriate for LD...as long as you sit far enough away. :)

PostPosted: 26 May 2022, 09:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

substance wrote:
Your eyes are accustomed to the rough picture of LD. I thought DVDs looked great (even on HDTVs) until BDs arrived. Larger screen sizes are a lot less forgiving for sure. It is subjective however not very subjective, you will find very few people agreeing with you on LD looking great on a 65” or large display. LD is bandwidth limited and massively compressed. You get what you get.

Also, keep in mind, people put a lot of effort and money into making LDs look good then compare it to the most bare bones DVD setup. If you put similar effort and money into it, you can make DVDs look great too.

The DVD Superbit Collection was such an example. The DVDs looked really great and still do if properly upscaled to Full HD or 4K.

I can see a clear difference between both Full HD and 4K on my 83 inch OLED. DVDs properly upscaled to 4K using my Sony 4K Player look
totally acceptable and fine. However on my previous 86 inch 8K Mini LED they looked horrible if upscaled to 8K but 4K/8K looked fantastic on it.
I could even see a clear difference between 4K and 8K on this TV. Full HD looked considerably worse if compared to 8K on that TV.
I got rid of the 8K TV because of annoying vertical banding and had it replaced with a 4K OLED which was a very good choice. It is very
good at upscaling SD and Full HD contents. To me SD / Full HD content is very important so I'd rather have the 4K OLED.
I watch LDs by connecting my player via cinch with my Denon AVR which then upscales it to 4K and outputs the signal to my TV via HDMI.
It does not look fantastic but 4:3 content looks OK.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]