It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:01

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Are there LaserDiscs with "PAL" CC?
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2023, 22:41 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I know that many NTSC LaserDisc contain CC closed caption, with the line 21.

But are there LaserDiscs with "PAL" CC?

Actually, the CC in PAL use the line 22 and it's not common, but you can find many VHS with that in the UK and in Germany (the name is MovieText on this country).

I have a decoder and VHS with this kind of closed caption (https://www.journaldulapin.com/2021/05/24/pal-line-22/, in french), but i have not found LaserDisc with that. A guy in a french forum about LaserDisc say that there is LaserDisc with that, but i have only found PAL LaserDisc with teletext, not PAL CC.

Post subject: Re: Are there LaserDiscs with "PAL" CC?
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2023, 11:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'm not 100% certain but I do have a BBC Laserdisc called (I think) Garden Birds. It has Teletext pages on it, and I think CC subtitles too. Only thing I did notice though was if I played the disc direct to my television (my old LED I no longer have which had a composite port on it) then the Teletext would display. Soon as I ran it through my DVDO VP50 Pro, it seemed to 'strip' the Teletext signal and wouldn't display.

Sorry it only semi-answers your question but it's the only disc I can think of off the top of my head that might have CC subs due to the Teletext implementation. Unfortunately I can't check for you now as my CLD-D925 is in it's box and I no longer have a composite port on my new television.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2023, 11:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Hi,

PAL closed caption doesn't exist, only Teletext as highlighted above, CC isn't compatible with TXT.

When it comes to Laserdisc there are discs with Teletext included,
Pioneer released some e.g. Cabaret (1972) [PLFMB 30811]

Also some classics discs are available e.g. Wagner: Das Rheingold: Bayreuther Festspiele: Barenboim (1991) [4509-91122-6]

To decode yourself need to connect your ld player directly to your PAL TV without TXT decoder as the tv lines doesn't need to be cut by a scaler.

Br Edwin

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2023, 12:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Per the above. Thanks for clarifying Edwin. I wasn't 100% sure and only went off of a disc I actually own. :thumbup:

Aside, the Garden Birds disc is actually quite nice and well thought out. You not only get the Teletext pages, which are actually very useful and informative, but you also get two soundtracks to switch between. One audio track has the ambient audio and David Attenborough narration. The other audio track removes the narration and leaves the ambient audio in place. A great touch and pre-DVD era too!

Trying not to derail, but I would very much like to reintroduce the Teletext pages with my VP50 Pro in the chain. Is there a way to do this?

This is the disc by the way, if anyone is interested. It's great!

British Garden Birds (1981) [BBCV 1005L]

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2023, 15:41 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Actually, CC on PAL exist.

I have many VHS in PAL with CC on them. It's not common, the decoder are rare, but the technology exist (the name is MovieText in Germany). Juste read my blog post, i exmplain and i have many photos.

But i have not found any UK or German LaserDisc with that.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2023, 02:04 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Thank you wasn't aware about that :thumbup:
I think cc is a more robust compared with Teletext, as recording good quality Teletext on VHS is not so easy, you need s‐VHS or laserdisc which have higher bandwidth.

The laserdisc examples above have 4 languages each, also the Warner Classic have info page's with their laserdisc catalogue

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2023, 22:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I also thought CC works terrible with VHS. I tried it with a couple of US VHS tapes that I had and the subtitles were anything but perfect.

However with US laserdiscs there were never any issues at all. Even my Janet Jackson laserdisc has CC for some of the songs on it.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2023, 20:36 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I've recently added support for PAL CC to ld-decode's VBI decoder, so I'd be very interested in any real examples of CC on PAL discs...

Here's an example of PAL CC on a VHS tape (The Matrix, S016985) - you can see VITC on line 21 of both fields, and CC on line 22 of the first:
Attachment:
frame_pal_source_25_matrixclip.tbc.jpg
frame_pal_source_25_matrixclip.tbc.jpg [ 84.45 KiB | Viewed 776 times ]

Any PAL disc with this Pioneer tuning fork intro technically has a little bit of CC, because it's been standards-converted from an NTSC source with CC. But (a) it's on the wrong line, (b) it's a bit mangled from blending with the line below it and (c) it doesn't encode any text anyway (both bytes of data are 0) - so it's not very exciting! Maybe there's a disc out there converted from an NTSC source that happened to end up with the CC on the right line, though...?
Attachment:
frame_pal_source_5_wotw-pioneer.tbc.jpg
frame_pal_source_5_wotw-pioneer.tbc.jpg [ 118.78 KiB | Viewed 776 times ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]