It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:50

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: The Laserdisc Survey (Fall 2011)
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 03:56 
Sure I can count that, I watch all my LDs on projection. Everything else is acceptable at worst, many are enjoyable, some look great, and then there's City of Joy.
I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, but the question does invite criticism, and it's completely unacceptable that a medium with LD's original entry cost should require the user to watch it on a little TV or in windowed mode.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 04:22 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

No you can't.
Remember that there were no such things as widescreen TVs when LD was out, only at the tail end with squeeze.

Projectors were only 4:3 then also not wide or an ability to do wide.

Its like complaning that you can't get up to racing speeds with a steam powered car :lol:

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 04:30 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

He has a point, the thread did ask for complaints.

However, yeah, people don’t seem to understand that LD is from 1978 and the best TV you could get back then was like 27” and bubble shaped with 15% overscan. It’s not designed to be 100” anymore than it’s designed to fit in your car’s CD player.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 08:12 
I do understand it's from 1978, I've used that fact on unsuspecting people before. There are also upscalers and filters that did not exist in 1978 in addition to better video output inside the LD players (not that mine is top of the line).
Nor am I maxing out screen size on most of my LDs, I just don't want to run them at something equivalent to a 32" TV, which is on the small side for a 16:9 TV.
When I think of LDs I think late `80s to mid `90s and Sony CRT projectors such as the 1270 and 1272. City of Joy released between those in 1992, in letterbox only. By the bye in Ebert's 1990 film review book he extols the format of LD, speaking of his experience pairing it with a projector (a Panasonic).
City of Joy for me looks awful in anything bigger than the minimum window no more than 40" wide, probably less. Fatal Instinct, of all things, looks quite solid at 100" wide. Sleep With Me looks perfect at 100" wide and still excellent at 150" wide. Autobiography of a Princess, from 1992 again and what had to be a budget project in every regard, looks better stretched at 80" than City of Joy in its native resolution at half that size.

Short answer is it seems perfectly fair to judge all my LDs by the same criteria.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 15:22 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

You do know that max size for a projector back in the day was around 80-120" diagonal.
This would have been 4:3 ONLY.

So your issue is moot and has no merit.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2020, 17:02 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

If he's saying that that singular title doesn't look good projected at that size, but other LDs do look good at that size, it doesn't sound to me that this is a technical issue or a problem of LDs being not made for projection that big.

Rather that that one title just isn't mastered well.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2020, 18:58 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Agree a singular title not looking good is one thing, but when you judge all by the criteria that they are judging it that's another.

I've had many LDs that look horrible even on 4.3 TVs from back in the day, but with tweeking and knowing what you are getting you can adjust.

But I would have to re-read this topic to make a better point about this and don't have the time to do so.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2020, 21:55 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Obviously you have no time. You’re nine years late filling out your 33 part survey!

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2020, 09:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Took out the questions I can't answer...

1) Laserdisc Player(s) Used = Sony MDP-650 is my main player
2) Best Looking Laserdisc = Sony Tune Up AV disc, Yumi Tanimura: My Prism, GLOBE: naked screen
3) Worst Looking Laserdisc (Not laser-rot related) = TMN Final Live LAST GROOVE both LDs. Not terrible, LD is never terrible. but muddy.
4) Best Sounding Disc - Mono/Stereo/Matrix Surround = Eric Clapton Live in Hyde Park
7) Worst Sounding Disc (Any sound format, not laser-rot related) = thinking about it..
8) Favorite All-Around Demo Disc (Audio and video presentation) = Sony Tune Up AV
9) All-Around Worst Disc You Own (Not laser-rot related) = A music disc by the voice actress from Tenchi Muyo. She aint cute, she can't sing and the videos are the worst.
10) Best Package Art = Art of Akira Kurosawa: Kagemusha
11) Best Gatefold Jacket = TMN: Final Last Groove
12) Worst Package Art Or Gatefold = Blade Runner Criterion
13) Best Box Set = Ghibli no Ippai collection
14) Worst Box Set = Megazone 23 just for the stupid name and logo of the releasing company
23) Favorite Movie On Disc, Regardless of Presentation Quality = Star Wars
24) Favorite Guilty-Pleasurse Movie on Disc (Perhaps not a good movie in itself, but one that makes a great laserdisc) = Slackers, no actually that's a good movie.
25) Movie You Are Most Embarrassed To Admit That You Own = I don't care what anyone thinks about my collection.
26) Worst Case of Laser-Rot You Have Experienced = The Deep
27) Approximate Number of Laserdisc Titles In Your Collection = 4-500
28) First Laserdisc Ever Purchased = Macross: Do You Remember Love?: Perfect Edition box (CAV) in 2001
29) Movie You Own The Most Editions Of (Any video format) = I have 2 LD versions of 2001
30) Rarest/Most Valuable Disc Owned = I think it's my mint with obi Future War 19XX
31) Favorite Laserdisc In Your Collection = Minako Honda: The Virgin Live
32) Most Wanted Laserdisc Title (Actual releases only) = currently the Bubblegum Crisis box set
33) [I'm adding this] Favorite 1:33 Title = Super Dimenional Fortress Macross TV

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2020, 14:09 
True fan
True fan

Found this threat by accident, even it´s been 9 years, I´ll participate. Some questions i couldn´t answer, meaning, I just don´t know what to say here. I guess I just have too much time at the monent..;-)

1) Laserdisc Player(s) Used: Pioneer HLD-X, Pioneer CLD-97, Pioneer-CLD -925 and many oothers, low level player..
2) Best Looking Laserdisc: I guess that would be eXistenZ for me
3) Worst Looking Laserdisc (Not laser-rot related): well, obviously a Pal Disc, I´d say any of the Astro Schwarze Serie is bad , for example Cannibal Holocaust
4) Best Sounding Disc - Mono/Stereo/Matrix Surround: I remember that Tales from The Crypt: Demon Knight was really good with the thunder effects..
5) Best Sounding Disc - Dolby Digital AC-3: Saving Private Ryan was impressive
6) Best Sounding Disc - DTS: Jurassic Park
7) Worst Sounding Disc (Any sound format, not laser-rot related): -
8) Favorite All-Around Demo Disc (Audio and video presentation): Saving private Ryan, though i loved to play Alien resurrection as Demo equally
9) All-Around Worst Disc You Own (Not laser-rot related): PAL Analog Discs which I´m getting rid off at the moment, they all look not very good
10) Best Package Art: The Doors Pioneer Edition
11) Best Gatefold Jacket: City of the living Dead EC
12) Worst Package Art Or Gatefold: Another PAL Disc comes to mind
13) Best Box Set: Gettysburg
14) Worst Box Set: The Abyss is pretty close..Maybe the Dirty Harry Colelction for being nothing more than a colelction of the movies
15) Best Audio Commentary: Dawn of the Dead EE
16) Worst Audio Commentary: -
17) Best Supplements: The Frighteners Signature
18) Worst Supplements: -90% of all Pal release, which basically come without supplements
19) Best Remaster: -
20) Worst Remaster: -
21) Best-Chosen Side Breaks: -
22) Worst Side Breaks: T2 PAL UK LD, the one where the scene fades to black
23) Favorite Movie On Disc, Regardless of Presentation Quality:
24) Favorite Guilty-Pleasure Movie on Disc (Perhaps not a good movie in itself, but one that makes a great laserdisc): Cannibal Ferox
25) Movie You Are Most Embarrassed To Admit That You Own:
26) Worst Case of Laser-Rot You Have Experienced: Dantes Peak was unplayable
27) Approximate Number of Laserdisc Titles In Your Collection: 2000
28) First Laserdisc Ever Purchased: TAxi Driver Criterion
29) Movie You Own The Most Editions Of (Any video format): DAwn of the Dead
30) Rarest/Most Valuable Disc Owned: T2 Japanese Squeeze Edition (the better one)
31) Favorite Laserdisc In Your Collection: Dawn of the Dead EE
32) Most Wanted Laserdisc Title (Actual releases only): The Last Starfighter Signature

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2020, 19:19 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Interesting thread, as I got nothing to do, here is my response.

If not specified otherwise, the Discs mentioned here are the PAL French ones.

1) Laserdisc Player(s) Used : CLD D-925 as my main since forever, CLD 800, CLD S-315.
2) Best Looking Laserdisc : Toy Story for PAL, To Heart Vol.1 for NTSC.
3) Worst Looking Laserdisc (Not laser-rot related) : Vigilante (it's the crappy vhs version put on a disc, great movie though).
4) Best Sounding Disc - Mono/Stereo/Matrix Surround : can't decide between Heat and the River Wild.
5) Best Sounding Disc - Dolby Digital AC-3 : Perfect Blue (Special Colection Box, JP NTSC) by default, as it's the only AC3 disc I have, even though I can't listen to AC3.
6) Best Sounding Disc - DTS : Street Fighter (US NTSC), also by default as it's the only DTS disc I have. Have better sounding Surround ones though.
7) Worst Sounding Disc (Any sound format, not laser-rot related) : Vigilante
8) Favorite All-Around Demo Disc (Audio and video presentation) : True Lies, best conjugation between video and audio
9) All-Around Worst Disc You Own (Not laser-rot related) : if we're talking content quality, it would be my Promo Light Clip Rap 1. If it's for video/audio quality, Vigilante.
10) Best Package Art : Blade Runner
11) Best Gatefold Jacket : Any of the Gundam Memorial Box gatefold
12) Worst Package Art Or Gatefold : any of my Delta Video discs
13) Best Box Set : Perfect Blue Special Collection Box
14) Worst Box Set : The Abyss
15) Best Audio Commentary : don't have any discs with commentary
16) Worst Audio Commentary : don't have any discs with commentary
17) Best Supplements : the 1 hour Making of The Abyss, better than the movie itself.
18) Worst Supplements : the short making of Mortal Kombat, it's just so badly scripted it's funny, and paul think of himself so seriously.
19) Best Remaster : Star Wars THX CAV, compared to the older editions, they're a marvel to the eyes and ears
20) Worst Remaster : none that I can think of
21) Best-Chosen Side Breaks : I don't really pay attention to them, except when they're really badly timed
22) Worst Side Breaks : Star Wars episode VI THX CAV edition side 1, it cuts just before luke's jump to catch his lightsaber from R2 above the Sarlacc pit if I'm correct.
23) Favorite Movie On Disc, Regardless of Presentation Quality : As I don't have The Terminator on LD, it's Toy Story that comes as my favorite movie
24) Favorite Guilty-Pleasure Movie on Disc (Perhaps not a good movie in itself, but one that makes a great laserdisc) : Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, can't choose between both
25) Movie You Are Most Embarrassed To Admit That You Own : none to be honest
26) Worst Case of Laser-Rot You Have Experienced : Lethal Weapon 2, video full of colored snow and no more digital audio most of the time.
27) Exact Number of Laserdisc Titles In Your Collection : 207
28) First Laserdisc Ever Purchased : by my own, it was a lot of around 30 titles, so I won't make a list
29) Movie You Own The Most Editions Of (Any video format) : My best contender is Toy Story : VHS, LD and DVD, I also have quite a few LD+dvd though
30) Rarest/Most Valuable Disc Owned : My Mobile Suit Gundam Memorial Box, as for a single disc release, probably my Promo Light Clip Rap 1 disc. Vigilente might be a contender for PAL discs.
31) Favorite Laserdisc In Your Collection : Last Action Hero, it's my most watched disc as I had it since forever, and I only have watched it (and owned it) on LaserDisc and I love it.
32) Most Wanted Laserdisc Title (Actual releases only) : a good copy of The Terminator

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2