Post subject: Disney starting to stop releasing on physical media
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2023, 02:00 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Australia and New Zealand first... but more countries likely to follow:

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/072523-1400
https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/072523-1400

Disney To No Longer Release Physical Media (DVDs/Blu-Ray) In Australia
https://whatsondisneyplus.com/disney-to-no-longer-release-physical-media-dvds-blu-ray-in-australia/

Why Disney Is Cutting Back On DVDs After ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy’
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradadgate/2023/08/02/with-sales-dropping-disney-will-no-longer-sell-dvds-in-australia/

So... what's next?

Better streaming?
=> I tried Netflix and AMZ Prime for a while but, while the video was OK, the over compression of sound made it really annoyingly crappy on a good audio system. But then shows can come and go without notice. All the "digital movies" I bought BD/4K can only stream SD on YouTube now for example. I expect some to disappear eventually.

4k local replay?
Full quality like Kaleidescape but that implies you have $$$ and a fast internet access to download 50~100GB+ of data and storage for each film.

Importing from other regions/zones while they are still available?
Make sure your player is region/zone free. Luckily 4K has no region.

Julien

Post subject: Re: Disney starting to stop releasing on physical media
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2023, 11:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

No economic degree here, however I see this as a bad move.
They are tanking and now they are making desperate moves imo.
Could be wrong.
Seems selling some physical media would bring in quan ?
I am biased though.
Time will tell if smart move or not.
Market for reselling their media may become a under current of sorts.
Not my bag though....
Disney has gambled big time with current trends and alienated a part of their business market shares.

Cheers mates....

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2023, 11:14 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I’m not interested in a single thing Disney has made in decades so I don’t care. Everything the new Disney Omnicorp makes, over the hill Star Wars, endless identical Marvel crap, bad Muppets, and live action remakes of better movies…its all trash.

If it’s the new trend overall to ditch media then small labels and the JP market will likely keep me going for the rest of my life. I wish I could still buy movies at Target but oh well.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2023, 10:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I’m not interested in a single thing Disney has made in decades so I don’t care. Everything the new Disney Omnicorp makes, over the hill Star Wars, endless identical Marvel crap, bad Muppets, and live action remakes of better movies…its all trash.

If it’s the new trend overall to ditch media then small labels and the JP market will likely keep me going for the rest of my life. I wish I could still buy movies at Target but oh well.

Disney also owns Fox.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2023, 11:33 
Site Admin
Site Admin

takeshi666 wrote:
Disney also owns Fox.

Lucasfilm, Pixar, Touchstone, FOX, Nat Geo, Dimension, and probably a bunch more.

Yes, Disney is in a downward spiral right now but there have troves of contents that could still be remastered/released in physical media.

Julien

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2023, 17:23 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

No money in physical anymore, I was looking at a blues CD made by document records, they are now only releasing MOD as there isn't enough interest in
their catalog.

Sucks but I guess that's how it is, even books are being printed MOD, when you order they make it, hell I've even bought some T-shirts like this.
Its killing the secondary market which should have never gone into the stratosphere in the first place.

Just watched the Bennie baby movie last night, crazy ride that must have been for those sods. It was all around me at toy shows but I never got the bennie fever.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2023, 21:06 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Man…it’s all about flipping stuff with you. Literally everything exists not for its own sake but for how it can be flipped. You don’t seem to even see any other aspect of a thing. It’s pathological…

I dislike MOD for sure, not because I can’t make money off it but because DVD-Rs and blurry softback books suck. You may be experiencing this more if you are fixated on CD and DVD which are both severely underrepresented currently. High res downloads, LPs, and streaming on the other hand are awash with content. There’s a new record I want to buy every week if not every day.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2023, 18:04 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
Man…it’s all about flipping stuff with you. Literally everything exists not for its own sake but for how it can be flipped. You don’t seem to even see any other aspect of a thing. It’s pathological…

Show me the MONEY :mrgreen:

Last edited by rein-o on 14 Aug 2023, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2023, 13:07 
True fan
True fan

Torrent it is then. I will never pay for digital / one off or subscription based.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2023, 00:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

therussian wrote:
Torrent it is then. I will never pay for digital / one off or subscription based.

I like being able to watch entire series at my own leisure instead of being forced to bingewatch it out of fear it might simply disappear tomorrow because the content provider simply didn't feel like it anymore.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2023, 21:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

therussian wrote:

Agree, also not paying for that mode of content.

My girlfriend has a list of streaming providers and they leave alot to be desired.
Impressed at times by the obscure titles, however inconsistent is given new meaning the way things are dropped or not even available.
And paying monthly is so hard to love.
I am with therussian on this one.

At first my Lady thought not so much of LD, She watched her first few titles and now we are making it a routine when streaming a movie comes up ! We trade off taking turns on viewing stuff.
She turned me on to Schitts Creek ha !

Added another LD fan to the world ! To quote " for me it is just a new viewing experience....."

And added bonus -
Her High Definition LG TV makes LD new to even me !

Let's face it people, there is NOTHING LIKE PHYSICAL MEDIA WITH ALL THE TRIMMINGS THAT COME WITH.

Destined to go the way of the dinosaurs ? Perhaps, however not without holdouts like me spinning up movies and games till the last !

Cheers to the peeps....

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2023, 18:31 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

After decades of threatening to put titles "back in vault" now they're ALL in the vault.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2023, 17:50 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have to say that I do not like this most recent trend.

The more time passes the more I enjoy using physical media more and more. I have a fairly large DVD collection and I have
started watching these films more often than I used to. I simply enjoy the fact of inserting a DVD and having all the extras, menu, etc.
There are some DVDs from the early 00s with beautiful menus where you can see that the creators of these menus put a lot of
effort into it. I bought an Oppo clone early this year and I have to say that they look great on my OLED 4K TV. Sound is very good in
many cases.
What I really hate about many streaming services that they minimise the viewing window as soon as the end credits start which I find
extremely annoying as they are an important part of the film to me.
I will buy more and more DVDs ( and Blu Ray discs ) in time and I am in the process of indexing my entire collection via a German
website called ofdb.de . I have already add a lot of titles to that database. My oldest DVDs in my collection is a very early German release
of Basic Instinct ( without English audio ) that I bought in 1999 as well as a cheap Hong Kong film that was sold for 10 German Marks
at the time which was very cheap back then. Both DVDs still play without any issues after almost 25 years. The DVD format has a huge
catalogue and many discs can be acquired for very little money.
Another problem is that it is simply difficult to find anything of interest on Netflix/Disney+ after some time when one has already been through
the entire catalogue and watched everything of interest.
I nowadays mostly watch DVDs/BluRays/Laserdiscs and I am very happy with them. It is an extremely different viewing experience to
any of the existing streaming services that mostly offer audio inferior to DVD audio quality.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2023, 19:54 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I agree with most of that except your love of DVD menus. One of the best things about the Blu-ray era is that the menus are simple to non-existent of most of mine and newer releases even simpler. The Paramount Marx Bros collection (US BR) just loads straight into the movie and even lets you skip the FBI warning…that’s LD level technology right there!

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2023, 21:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Well I didn't say that I love DVD menus per se but I think that there are some DVD menus that are exceptionally well made. I like the animation in the DVD menu to the fantastic film The Village.
I do like menus in general ( obviously it helps you selecting the extras, Criterion menus are great, for instance ). They are part of the DVD experience. But overall a DVD can look really good
if properly mastered and played back on a good machine. The DVD of Apollo 13 is such a case. My Japanese DVD looks really good and is perfectly watchable even on a bigger screen plus the
dts soundtrack kicks butt.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2023, 23:17 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
I agree with most of that except your love of DVD menus. One of the best things about the Blu-ray era is that the menus are simple to non-existent of most of mine and newer releases even simpler. The Paramount Marx Bros collection (US BR) just loads straight into the movie and even lets you skip the FBI warning…that’s LD level technology right there!

Yeah I've seen you post about your hatred towards menus in the past, I think you really need to get a newer DVD player, I can skip almost
all of my menus on my DVDs without any issue, I think there are a handful that I can't, its a bluray DVD combo and lower end
but has the audio outs I need.

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ]