It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 20:43

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Price Guide?
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2011, 20:31 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Is there such a thing as a price guide and how many were pressed?

I would classify myself as new to an older format, I only have about 200 ld's and most have been picked up in quantity so pretty cheap. I go for movies/genres that I like vs wanting all the Criterion or anime etc etc. I am curious as the value and quantity though, not that I plan on selling anything other than a few dupes.

Scott

Post subject: Re: Price Guide?
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2011, 20:48 
True fan
True fan

Unfortunately, no there isn't. With internet auction sites and such I really don't think there is much use for price guides any more, the prices would be outdated by the time it was published. Besides the database, there really isn't a lot of information out there as far as what was released. I've been working on an outline for a book about the beginning of the home video industry and how it changed film with a very large portion devoted to laserdiscs, but who knows if it will ever go anywhere, (or if there will even be books by the time I'm finished). Guess I could always pass it along to everyone on here at least.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2011, 01:25 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Nice thing with Lulu, small press runs aren't a problem, as I understand it.
So price guides for coins, antiques,records.... but not for LD's. I look at past auctions and throw out the top and bottom 20% and guesstimate it to be the range.
I've bought a few LD's that have a bill of sale in the sleeve, apparently it was worth $94 when new, to me it's a buck or two, but I tend to rarely buy anything 'hot off the press'

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2011, 19:27 
Site Admin
Site Admin

eBay used to give you 3 months worth of "Completed listings", then 1 month, then 3 weeks, now last time I checked they were down to 2 weeks.

They used to have a page offering statistics/category, paying per quarter. It wasn't cheap, but I can't find it anymore...

All the almost-10,000 LDs sold on LDDb will retain their date/price/condition information public forever to give an idea of what market value it could have. I know it's quite small compared to the whole catalog of discs with few transactions on rare discs, but it's the best I can do with what I have...

Julien

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2022, 08:47 
Site Admin
Site Admin

admin wrote:
All the almost-10,000 LDs sold on LDDb will retain their date/price/condition information public forever to give an idea of what market value it could have. I know it's quite small compared to the whole catalog of discs with few transactions on rare discs, but it's the best I can do with what I have...

An attempt at valuing collections => Collection value

Julien

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]