It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:06

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: I'm new to LD and I want to know how to take care of them
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2023, 03:04 
Second post
Second post

I have been a collecter of VHS, DVDs, LP records, and CDs for a few years now. There are different things I have do to do to maintane the quality of these formts. I'm assuming there are things that are needed to be done for maintaning the quality of both the player and the discs. Since I'm new, I know very little.

What maintenance do the LD and the players need?

On another note, what are some beginner Dos and Don'ts that I should be aware of? I know I'll make mistakes in my collecting, but if I can save myself on some bad ones early on, that would be most appreciated. Any recommendations?

Post subject: Re: I'm new to LD and I want to know how to take care of the
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2023, 14:43 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

My first advice is to not get into LD.

If you’ve ignored that then the second most important thing is to never mail a player.

Third: don’t mess with stuff that works. Don’t open the machine and start poking the lens with a Q-tip. Don’t turn pots. If it works, leave it. Also if it works make sure to use it once in a while. Players will very much freeze up from lack of use and when powered up for the first time in a decade snap themselves to pieces.

Laserdisc care is pretty much the same as record handling except they are more sensitive to temp changes and humidity and don’t care at all about static or dust. Store them vertically and with consistent pressure but not crammed into the shelf.

I think that’s pretty much everything. My first LDs were Far and Away, Project A-ko and Nausicaa, all purchased in 1992 and they all play perfectly so I don’t think any more care is needed than what I advise.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2023, 21:20 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Agree with signofzeta pretty much on everything; in particular, keep your laserdisc player "alive", playing some disc sometimes during the year - if you keep it in storage without use, it most probably will suffer of... something!

The only thing I do not agree is about lens cleaning; you can do it, but YOU MUST use isopropyl alcohol ONLY, AND NOT the usual alcohol you have at home, AND ONLY if the player is otherwise working well mechanically.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2023, 22:03 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I think keeping your discs and electronics in reasonable room temperatures and relatively low humidity is the most important. Ideally, with a narrow range such as a delta of 10-15F in the room temperatures so the materials don’t (micro) bend & flex much due to temperature differences. Avoid excessive physical stress like stacking discs horizontally. All this apply to modern electronics and discs too.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]