It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:21

Page 7 of 9 [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your experiences with Laser Rot
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 19:10 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Could possibly be 1 of 2 things.
Dirt on the disc or a manufacturing defect somehow.

Or :? Laser is dying???? I believe you would notice it all the time with that one.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 19:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah I'd say it's definitely not the player. I just watched the 2nd side of the disc which is flawless. Looking at the disc physically there are a couple noticeable scratches on it, I am thinking those might be the culprit as it only happens a handful of times in specific spots on the first side.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 20:21 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

That’s a Pioneer pressed disc from like 1993. Chance of rot is %0.00000312

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 20:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
That’s a Pioneer pressed disc from like 1993. Chance of rot is %0.00000312

I was pretty much thinking that actually. Overall the video quality is really good.

Another update: disc 2 was basically flawless for playback on both sides, just a very small occurrence of it once on the 2nd side. It had quite a few minor scratches and whatnot so one was probably worse than it looked for that to pop up.

These LDs are definitely much better than the DVD release which has a loooooot of blocking. An unreal amount really...

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 23:18 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Time for some novus.
One day I'll do a video on youtube on how to use it for LDs.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 23:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
Time for some novus.
One day I'll do a video on youtube on how to use it for LDs.

Wait, this is fixable?

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2019, 00:02 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yes, depending on how bad the scratches are.
If they are gouges with a key then you are SOL, but normal scratches will be fine.

I have to setup a room to do the video, I have some discs that can get scratches : :mrgreen: so I can show what should be done.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2019, 02:12 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah. You have like 2mm of plastic to work with. You could buff out some really nasty scratches.

For some reason I have almost no experience with a scratches on LD. Back in the day you simply DID NOT scratch the only copy of a movie you’ve ever laid eyes on that you special ordered from another country for $124 or whatever but second third or fourth owners treat the things like hockey pucks sometimes.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2019, 19:06 
Honest fan
Honest fan

My collection is 99.9% anime and 98% of that is from Japan. Worst offender is Pony Canyon, I have mutiple copies of titles from them that display heavy rotting. A lot of discs from 85-89 specifically. I have a copy of a rather rare title called COOL COOL BYE and it is perfect. Where as titles released after it like GREED, NORA, Twinkle NORA Rock Me! are all rotted no matter how many copies I buy. I am always nervous buying an expensive Pony title in case it is rotted. I was that way about COOL COOL BYE and also X Densha de Ikkokou. Thank fully both are perfect.

I do also have a couple of BV discs that are rotted, strangley enough. Two of my Choujin Locke OVAs have rot. I also have a couple of "C.MOON" titles with rot. Aparently BV used different manufacturers for their C.MOON titles as I do not have any early BV discs with rot other than their very first 2 LD, DALOS vol 1&2.

PIONEER did all of the Bon Jovi discs in Japan apart from Live in Tokyo '85. Every disc I have is perfect, including the early CAV version of BREAKOUT, but my Live in London SE has rot. I was shocked when I saw it.

Another Jp company with rot problems was VICTOR. Their Lodoss War discs are known rotters. My Mermaid Forrest, Mermaid Scar, Licca-chan, VIDEO GIRL AI vol.2, Ami-chan no Ribbon box 1, Megazone 23 part III 1&2 (2 copies of each) and probably more I cannot think of now all have rot. I only have the Lodoss box set so I cannot comment on the early individual releases. Not sure about other early KING RECORDS titles, but I also have 2 rotted copies of Cosmo Police Justy.

Even VAP were not perfect, I have a couple of Mellowlink vols with rot. I only have one and a bit Columbia rotters, one being Cinderella Express. The first 5 minutes has rot then it is perfect. I think it may be a common thing because a youtube upload is exactly the same. I think the only company I have a lot of discs from without a single rotter is TOSHIBA EMI.

Last edited by segasonic91 on 17 Apr 2019, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2019, 19:18 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

segasonic91 wrote:
Two of my Choujin Locke OVAs have rot.

This is an odd one, I bought a set off of ebay about 2 years ago, the seller listed the discs as having rot and when I played them in
3 players and even sold them to another person they didn't have rot.

Not saying you, but I do wonder a lot if any newer collectors really know what rot is????

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2019, 19:25 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Weird! I bought mine from Japan. Mind you, I remember the rot being very close to the end of the discs. Almost at the credits from memory. I only ever watched them once.
All my disvs are currently packed away so I cannot check. Kind like the C.MOON Demon Hunter. Rot starts about 20 minutes in. My second copy is fine. The most terminal rotter I have is the first copy of NORA I bought. Second side has nasty sound and barely plays. I did have a good copy with the third disc I bought, speckling and only light rot marks but it somehow disappeared and I have not seen it since the day I received it. I have a horrible feeling it was thrown away with packaging. Amon Saga was the same, third copy was good with speckling and light rot marks. No idea if they will get worse in time.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2019, 20:44 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
segasonic91 wrote:
Two of my Choujin Locke OVAs have rot.

This is an odd one, I bought a set off of ebay about 2 years ago, the seller listed the discs as having rot and when I played them in
3 players and even sold them to another person they didn't have rot.

Not saying you, but I do wonder a lot if any newer collectors really know what rot is????

No, they don’t. Just do a web search and you’ll find videos of people saying “this is rot” when it isn’t. I blame myself. I will until I make a video about this. I guess. The noobs have so much energy and such love for being in front of the camera...I can’t match it. I need to make a video about all the “handling” issues like why paper sleeves suck, why using thick plastic outer jackets and removing only the disc dings up your covers, how to hold the things, etc. Someday. I need a spokesmodel or something.

I think Segasonic has a lot more LDs than I do but I do have every Locke release and they are perfect for whatever that’s worth. I’ve heard people complaining about Video Girl Ai Vol 2 for decades though so that’s almost certainly legit.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2019, 01:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'd appreciate just a video of a rotted disc with no commentary.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2019, 01:10 
Honest fan
Honest fan

No doubt there are plenty of those youtubers out there that have no idea. Locke was probably the first rot I ever saw. I wish it had been the last. But until I saw it on that LD and then Demon Hunter and then NORA, I was not entirely sure what it was. AnimEigo LDs all have some weird things that go on in them, like a sort of thick wiggly line that goes from top to bottom. I used to wonder if that was rot. I also see the occasional "black rot line" on all my AE LDs, but I know now that is just a defect and not actual rot. I do wonder if the Locke disc is actually a defect of some kind. It seems weird for rot to be right at the end of the disc. It looks like rot though. I cannot remember which series the disc was from either.

My first copy of Amon Saga was probably my biggest eye opener. The thing barely played, it was even worse than the second side of the first NORA I got. I think the DALLOS discs were similar. Near fatal level of rot. I always thought Amon was a TOEI disc, but it was not made by them which is probably why it is so bad. Even the older TOEI discs like 19XX and the 999 movies rarely have rot. My copy of 19XX has some light speckling here and there but nothing much at all over its 3 sides. Shiawase Monogatari is a SONY disc I have yet to get a perfectly clean copy of. Again, mostly mild speckling throught with some rot marks, but not too bad. I love that movie, such a shame there was no DVD transfer. But it is SONY, it would have been an ugly letter boxed LD dump anyway. I think there was a fansub released. I should check it out to see if it is clean.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2019, 11:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Hey as I was bagging up my recent shipment today actually I came across Mariko Kouda: Vivid actually factory sealed. I've wanted this ever since I saw a fansub of it as a filler on a tape. Everything was so white and pristine. As I went to remove the disc from the inner sleeve it wouldn't budge. After some work it came free and I could see glue seeping out from the edge of the disc.

20 minutes of work with a plastic scraper, lighter fluid and a microfibre cloth got the glue off the edge, however there was now a visible gap/opening between the layers. Makes sense since the glue that seeped had to have come from somewhere.

I was not confident this disc would now play but it did, from beginning to end, with crystal clear audio. Cool! So robust. Is this rot? If so I love it!

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2019, 20:09 
Honest fan
Honest fan

forper wrote:
Hey as I was bagging up my recent shipment today actually I came across Mariko Kouda: Vivid actually factory sealed. I've wanted this ever since I saw a fansub of it as a filler on a tape. Everything was so white and pristine. As I went to remove the disc from the inner sleeve it wouldn't budge. After some work it came free and I could see glue seeping out from the edge of the disc.

20 minutes of work with a plastic scraper, lighter fluid and a microfibre cloth got the glue off the edge, however there was now a visible gap/opening between the layers. Makes sense since the glue that seeped had to have come from somewhere.

I was not confident this disc would now play but it did, from beginning to end, with crystal clear audio. Cool! So robust. Is this rot? If so I love it!

Let me guess, this is a TOSHIBA EMI disc? ;) Pretty much all ToEMI discs are like that post 89 or so. I think they went overboard on the glue to try and avoid rot. That is what I read at least.

I had a couple of discs arrive here after the long trip from Japan with a big clump of glue in the bottom of the plastic sleeve. It really pissed me off because I thought the discs would be ruined, but they were OK after a good clean. I hope they stay that way because I have no clue if it was glue from inside that seeped out, or the excess glue from around the edges.

One of the victims was Nozomi Witches vol.1-3, which I had been trying to get for years. I did manage to buy the double disc collection version a bit after, so at least I am covered there. I always like to try and get doubles of rarer ToEMI releases because that glue worries me. It is also a paim in the butt to get the discs out of the damn plastic sleeves.

I had another LD that arrived with melted glue in the bottom of the plastic sleeve a few months back, Boyfriend. A rather rare two part OVA. It was the first and only time I saw it too. I tested it last week after cleaning up the glue and it played fine. Unfortunately, it had bigger problems than melted glue. I started to notice weird squiggly lines on the screen and immediately stopped it because it is sign the disc is warped. Damn thing got stuck in my X9 and I had to open it up and push the disc down so the tray opened. My own idiot fault. I was planning on testing it on one of my R7Gs because it looked kind of warped and I of course do not want to risk my X9. That will teach me. So I didn't get to watch it. It was not the prettiest transfer I've seen from the usually perfect ToEMI. Colour was horribly dull and washed out. Although, the animation was really bad for an OVA, so it could be the way the thing was made.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2019, 01:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yep! TOEMI disc.

I got two more ToEMI discs in the shipment tho (Yumi Matsutoya) and they are both fine though.

Interesting!

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2019, 11:04 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hello everyone!
First of all I am really sorry for my extremely bad English. But I am trying hard, believe me.)

I see a lot of discussions about discs. But what about players???
As I know laser rot showing differently on different models of players. I heard that some players have so strong laser that could play really rotted disc fine.

I recently bought on ebay Alien UK release 1982 pan scan and the side 1 was just dying of a laser rot! My pioneer cld 515 in some cases wont play this side at all, and showing the "P5 error". But the seller sad that side 1 on his Phillips player was played just fine. I was confused...

So what players, models are the best in that way????

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2019, 11:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Doesn't seem like there's consistency in terms of how rot manifests itself during playback. I have one title with those black and white streaks but apart from that it's watchable and sounds fine, but then I have two titles with just really noisy video rather than the typical "snowfall", but they both that annoying "helicopter" sound on the audio; The Saint has it only on both sides the digital track, which is a bummer because the only other audio options are AC-3 (which I can't watch) and the comentary track (which sounds fine but is obviously not the way to actually watch the movie), while Computer Animation Festival vol.1 has it only on side 2 but it's on BOTH tracks, digital and analog.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2019, 13:30 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Don't start tweeking your player to think you can play a rotted disc better, you may be killing your laser so you can play your 2 dollar movie.

There are no parts left and we can't be tweeking these lasers past their factory specs so you can play ALIEN.
Its not like you are trying to watch some important film that is only available on LD and there are no masters around to make a 4K scan.

Page 7 of 9 [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next